Topics

Request: Stop auto start if updates available

Markku SM5FLM

I have all parts of DX-lab in an auto start sequence, including WSJT-X as the last part. This is a problem if there is updates available. The start sequence  continuous regardless of this, and I have to stop programs manually, do updates and then restart again. Same thing if  TQSL needs update. This in annoying, and it would be better if DX-lab auto start gives a choice of continue start or to do the update first before auto start.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM Markku SM5FLM <marsip@telia.com> wrote:

I have all parts of DX-lab in an auto start sequence, including WSJT-X as the last part. This is a problem if there is updates available. The start sequence continuous regardless of this, and I have to stop programs manually, do updates and then restart again. Same thing if TQSL needs update. This in annoying, and it would be better if DX-lab auto start gives a choice of continue start or to do the update first before auto start.
If you have "Auto Start" and "Check for New each day" enabled, the
launcher should give you an opportunity to "Upgrade Applications" or
"Start DXView" (if application or database updates are available). If
you don't respond within 10 seconds, it will proceed to auto-start. I
don't see any configuration for this. Perhaps it would be nice if the
timeout could be configurable, with an option for "indefinite".

BTW, you don't need to shut down DXLab Suite applications to update TQSL.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Markku SM5FLM

Ok, I shall look for this and test.

Markku SM5FLM

Edited

Today I had a new DB update, but the startup didn't stop giving me change to update before starting.

I had to stop Dxkeep and SC manually and then via Launcher config do the db updates.
I would be nice even dB-updates stop auto-start sequence.

Today I had a new DB update, but the startup didn't stop giving me change to update before starting.

I had to stop Dxkeep and SC manually and then via Launcher config do the db updates.
I would be nice even dB-updates stop auto-start sequence.

+ Not if you're in a hurry to start your DXLab applications because you just received a phone call from a DXing friend informing you that a station you and everyone else needs for an all-time new one is loudly CQing.

+ I post a message here when new databases are available, so you have the opportunity to hold off on starting your DXLab applications ne masse when you're not in a hurry to get them going. When that happens, simply click the Launcher's DXV button instead of its Start button.

+ The correct solution is to extend DXKeeper and SpotCollector to accept updated databases without having to terminate the applications; these enhancements are "on the list".

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Not sure why this is not working for Markku. I tested again just now.
Here's what I see:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WLndAcsn4ob8EkVo8

If I want to start immediately and deal with the updates later, I can
just click on "Start Applications".

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:11 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

* more AA6YQ comments below

Not sure why this is not working for Markku. I tested again just now.
Here's what I see:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WLndAcsn4ob8EkVo8

If I want to start immediately and deal with the updates later, I can just click on "Start Applications".

* Thanks for the reminder, Iain! The "New Database Upgrades Available!" window in your screen shot only appears if both the "Auto Start" and "Check for New each day" options are enabled on the Launcher's Configuration window. Depending on the situation, that window's title may instead be "New Application Upgrades Available" or "New Application and Database Upgrades Available".

* Perhaps Markku has the "Auto Start" option enabled, but has not enabled the "Check for New each day" option.

[...]

* more AA6YQ comments below

Yes. I mentioned those options in https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/197652

[...]

Program updates stop auto start sequence and give an opportunity to update before start, but not database updates.

Program updates stop auto start sequence and give an opportunity to update before start, but not database updates.

+ Does the Launcher's Main window display the message " New Database Upgrades Available!" in blue font?

Markku SM5FLM

"Does the Launcher's Main window display the message " New Database Upgrades Available!" in blue font?"

I don't remember, but DxView's main display showed a message about new DB in blue font.

"Does the Launcher's Main window display the message " New Database Upgrades Available!" in blue font?"

I don't remember, but DxView's main display showed a message about new DB in blue font.

+ Thanks, Markku.

+ On the Launcher's Configuration window, please check the "Auto Start" and "Check for new each day" boxes on the Launcher's Configuration window.

+ On Sunday December 13, I will update the eQSL AG and LoTW Databases and post an announcement here. When you see this announcement, please

1. terminate the Launcher

2. start the Launcher

+ Does the Launcher's Main window inform you that "New Database Upgrades Available!", and give you 10 seconds to terminate the automatic starting of your DXLab applications?