Topics

Report or SQL?

Sidney Shusterman

I am currently enjoying MSK144 contacts. I would like to keep track of the distance for each QSO. Is there a place where I can enter my grid square and my QSO partner's grid square and have a column in DXK or a report where I can see the distances? This sounds like like a Stew Perry contest log type application  but I don't know of one which displays distance.

Thanks,

Sid K3SX

I am currently enjoying MSK144 contacts. I would like to keep track of the distance for each QSO. Is there a place where I can enter my grid square and my QSO partner's grid square and have a column in DXK or a report where I can see the distances?

+ Yes:

- you specify your location in the "QTH latitude" and "QTH longitude" boxes on the Defaults tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window

- when logging a QSO via the Capture window, you specify your QSO partner's grid square in the "grid 1" box; DXKeeper can be configured to populate the "grid 1" box from previously logged QSOs with your QSO partner, from the USAP database, or from a callbook look

+ To enable the distance to be computed and logged with each QSO, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance>

Sidney Shusterman

Thanks Dave!

73,

Sid K3SX

On 1/4/2020 10:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I am currently enjoying MSK144 contacts. I would like to keep track of the distance for each QSO. Is there a place where I can enter my grid square and my QSO partner's grid square and have a column in DXK or a report where I can see the distances?

+ Yes:

- you specify your location in the "QTH latitude" and "QTH longitude" boxes on the Defaults tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window

- when logging a QSO via the Capture window, you specify your QSO partner's grid square in the "grid 1" box; DXKeeper can be configured to populate the "grid 1" box from previously logged QSOs with your QSO partner, from the USAP database, or from a callbook look

+ To enable the distance to be computed and logged with each QSO, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance>

Sidney Shusterman

Dave,

Since  I already had my location information in DXK I added the distance column and most of my QSOs now display the  distance. This is wonderful! Some of the QSOs are not displaying the distance. This is true for US as well as VE QSOs.Most DX QSOs are also displaying the distance.  I tried a visual comparison of "good" QSOs to those which do not display the distance. Please direct me where to look for information I am overlooking.

[...]

* more AA6YQ comments below

Since I already had my location information in DXK I added the distance column and most of my QSOs now display the distance. This is wonderful!

Some of the QSOs are not displaying the distance. This is true for US as well as VE QSOs.Most DX QSOs are also displaying the distance. I tried a visual comparison of "good" QSOs to those which do not display the distance. Please direct me where to look for information I am overlooking.

* As stated in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance>

* A logged QSO must specify 3 things in order for the distance to be computable:

1. your location (which is specified on the Configuration window's Defaults tab)

2. your QSO partner's location (in the QSO's latitude and longitude items, which are computed from its "grid 1" item

3. an indication of whether your signals took the short path or the long path to your QSO partner (in the QSO's "Ant Path" item)

* Pick one logged QSO that does not display the distance. Does it specify a latitude, longitude, and "antenna path"?

[...]

Got it! Those QSOs were missing the path. I should have slept on it.

Thanks, they are all populated now.

73,

Sid K3SX

* more AA6YQ comments below