Recent issues with ports already in use

Matt Foster

Ever since a recent Windows update, I'm dealing with much more frequent instances of DXLabs complaining about ports already in use...pretty much from every application. The weird thing is, I've run TCPView multiple times, and it never shows any port in DXLabs' range as being in use for either the "Local" port or the "Remote" port. I've read some other posts about the possibility of Windows using ports in this range as ephemeral ports, and my experience may bear this out. I can often reboot, and then DXLabs can get the ports.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this recently or perhaps played with different Base Port settings?

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Matt Foster

I've also run 'netstat -a', and it also doesn't show those ports in use, so I'm struggling to see what is using the ports.

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Ed

Hi Matt,
Are you familiar with windows device manager?  If you select “view” in device manager, there is a selection “show hidden devices”.
The icons with color, are the active ones.  The grayed out ones have been used in the past, or are not connected at the time you look
This should give you a hint as to which port numbers are in use connected or not connected.

Ed WA6WGS

Matt Foster

Thanks for the reply Ed. I think we may be talking about different "port numbers", though. I'm talking about network ports. I think you may be referring to COM ports. I see where I perhaps did not make that explicitly clear in my original post. I don't think anything in the Device Manager will tell me anything about network port usage.

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Ed

Ah IP NETWORK addresses.

Ed

Matt Foster

FWIW...I've changed my base port to 4000 (TCPView did not show anything using ports anywhere close to that), and it seems to be happy for now.

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Ed

Hi Matt,

Sounds like you are having a problem with your internet provider and your router if you are using one. One or the other or both. Once Your computer is assigned a IP address, the computer itself should be OK.  I would still look at your com ports.  Make sure you are not switching around your USB cables between different USB ports on the computer itself. You will end up with a new com port number in windows if you plug into another USB connection on the computer.

Ed

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Ever since a recent Windows update, I'm dealing with much more frequent instances of DXLabs complaining about ports already in use...pretty much from every application. The weird thing is, I've run TCPView <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview> multiple times, and it never shows any port in DXLabs' range as being in use for either the "Local" port or the "Remote" port.

+ The "port in use" message comes from Windows, so either Windows or TCPView is not working correctly. Maybe TCPView isn't showing ports in use for UDP or Telnet or ....

I've read some other posts about the possibility of Windows using ports in this range as ephemeral ports, and my experience may bear this out. I can often reboot, and then DXLabs can get the ports.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this recently or perhaps played with different Base Port settings?

+ The ability to change the Base Port is provided for exactly this scenario.

Dave, AA6YQ

Ed

Thanks for that Dave, I was not thinking about TCP/UDP protocols.

Ed

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Ever since a recent Windows update, I'm dealing with much more frequent instances of DXLabs complaining about ports already in use...pretty much from every application. The weird thing is, I've run TCPView <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview> multiple times, and it never shows any port in DXLabs' range as being in use for either the "Local" port or the "Remote" port.
That is a bit weird. Did you sort by the "Local Port" column? Also
make sure that Options -> Show Unconnected Endpoints is enabled.

+ The "port in use" message comes from Windows, so either Windows or TCPView is not working correctly. Maybe TCPView isn't showing ports in use for UDP or Telnet or ....
Would another process binding a port for UDP prevent its use for TCP?
Theoretically, I think, it shouldn't, but I don't know Windows well
enough.

In any case, TCPView should show UDP bindings.

I've read some other posts about the possibility of Windows using ports in this range as ephemeral ports, and my experience may bear this out. I can often reboot, and then DXLabs can get the ports.

The default dynamic port range for Windows 10 starts at 49152 and goes
up 16384 from there. You can check it (and change it, if you're
feeling adventurous) with "netsh int ipv4 show dynamicport tcp".

Looking at my desktop with TCPView, I see a lot of outbound
connections with source ports in the 52xxx range and up. It hasn't
been a problem for me, but I usually start the DXLab Suite apps (the
ones that I use) immediately on boot, and keep them running all of the
time. If you run them more sporadically, there's probably a higher
probability of some other process grabbing the port. Something below
49152 would probably have a better chance of being left alone.

If rebooting fixes it (temporarily), it does sound like you're
competing for those "dynamic ports".

~iain / N6ML

Gordon LaPoint

Matt,
    Port 4000 is the default port for RemAud, used by some hams for remote audio from remote sites, so if you use RemAud you may want to use a different port.
Thanks,
Gordon - N1MGO

On 2/8/2021 11:27 AM, Matt Foster wrote:
FWIW...I've changed my base port to 4000 (TCPView did not show anything using ports anywhere close to that), and it seems to be happy for now.

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Matt Foster

Thanks for that Iain. Yes, "Show Unconnected Endpoints" is checked, so I have no idea why Windows says the ports are in use. It's all of the DXL apps I use too...Commander, DXKeeper and SpotCollector all get the error raised. It's almost like there are already copies of the programs running, but I've checked Task Manager carefully, and there are not existing instances of the programs.

For now, everything seems to be happy with a Base Port of 4000, so I'm sticking with that.

--
73, Matt, N0EYE

Joe Subich, W4TV

Do you have a rule in your firewall (or router) that is blocking
port 52000?

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-02-09 9:57 AM, Matt Foster wrote:
Thanks for that Iain. Yes, "Show Unconnected Endpoints" is checked, so I have no idea why Windows says the ports are in use. It's all of the DXL apps I use too...Commander, DXKeeper and SpotCollector all get the error raised. It's almost like there are already copies of the programs running, but I've checked Task Manager carefully, and there are not existing instances of the programs.
For now, everything seems to be happy with a Base Port of 4000, so I'm sticking with that.
--
73, Matt, N0EYE