Topics

Rebuilding the PC - and DXLabs

Dave Corio

After the original failure due to the MS upgrade to vers 2004, I have restored my PC to "as-delivered" status using the recovery partition. Just finished installing my DXLabs applications (all of which run fine) and have one question. I have backup of all the directories from the previous installations, so getting everything back is not a problem: However, the backups were all made AFTER the 2004 upgrade.

My concern is that if any of those files (personal, data, macros, etc.) were damaged by the upgrade attempt, might I be inviting a repeat of the problem? Two days invested in the rebuild so far, and would rather not do a repeat!

As a side note, MS just asked me to review my "help" experience. I did.

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 04:21 PM, Dave Corio wrote:

After the original failure due to the MS upgrade to vers 2004, I have restored my PC to "as-delivered" status using the recovery partition. Just finished installing my DXLabs applications (all of which run fine) and have one question. I have backup of all the directories from the previous installations, so getting everything back is not a problem: However, the backups were all made AFTER the 2004 upgrade.

My concern is that if any of those files (personal, data, macros, etc.) were damaged by the upgrade attempt, might I be inviting a repeat of the problem?

+ Since the root cause of the problem remains unknown, it's not possible to provide a definitive answer. "Probably not" is the best I can do.

Robert Sheskin

I would suggest a backup of the entire drive before the upgrade, that way if it goes the M$ way as usual you can restore the working setup with out days of updates. I personally use Acronis to do a full image of the drive. I am running 2004 here without problems, just lucky I guess.

73,
Bob N3PPH

Dave Corio

That's exactly what I thought I did. I used Macrium Reflect to image my hard drive immediately before allowing the Win 2004 update to take place. Unfortunately, the boot CD I had created didn't work correctly so I wasn't able to re-image the drive. I'll be taking a look at Acronis and others when this thing is rebuilt.

Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE

On 6/21/2020 7:03 AM, Robert Sheskin wrote:
I would suggest a backup of the entire drive before the upgrade, that way if it goes the M$ way as usual you can restore the working setup with out days of updates. I personally use Acronis to do a full image of the drive. I am running 2004 here without problems, just lucky I guess.

73,
Bob N3PPH

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I use Acronis too for the support and the larger number of thig it can do. Nevertheless, before going through all of that I would try making another CD or other boot media to try your image.

Did you do a validation of the image. I would never count on an image that has to been validated, Validation reads the entire image to test readability and mathematical integrity

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

That's exactly what I thought I did. I used Macrium Reflect to image my hard drive immediately before allowing the Win 2004 update to take place. Unfortunately, the boot CD I had created didn't work correctly so I wasn't able to re-image the drive. I'll be taking a look at Acronis and others when this thing is rebuilt.

Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE

On 6/21/2020 7:03 AM, Robert Sheskin wrote:

I would suggest a backup of the entire drive before the upgrade, that way if it goes the M$ way as usual you can restore the working setup with out days of updates. I personally use Acronis to do a full image of the drive. I am running 2004 here without problems, just lucky I guess.

73,
Bob N3PPH

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Dave Corio

Gil, I have to admit that I did not verify. I did load the CD once to make sure it worked, but never looked beyond the first screen. Lesson learned the hard way! Fortunately in addition to the weekly disk image I also did a daily backup of entire ham directories both to USB drives and off-site, so the latest data was available.

Just finished loading all my DXLab apps and data and happy to say they're all working!!

Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE