question callbook database populating fields in dxkeeper

AB2E Darrell

Greetings all,
A quick question. I'm getting ready to set up dxkeeper and buy a callbook subscription.
Before I do, I want to verify a feature of DXKeeper.
The DXLabSuite Wiki mentions that DXkeeper will populate missing fields from the callbook lookup.
Can anyone tell me if it will populate the US County?
Can it do this with a complete log update?
I'm also new to county hunting so have never entered counties in DXKeeper so far but I have a log going back many years.

Thanks and a Happy Thanksgiving to all!
73 Darrell AB2E

Dave AA6YQ

Greetings all,
A quick question. I'm getting ready to set up dxkeeper and buy a callbook subscription.
Before I do, I want to verify a feature of DXKeeper.

The DXLabSuite Wiki mentions that DXkeeper will populate missing fields from the callbook lookup.
Can anyone tell me if it will populate the US County?

+ That depends on the callbook. HamCall, HamQTH, and QRZ each report my county; I don't know for what fraction of US hams any of
them do so.

+ Before you spend money on HamCall or QRZ, I suggest that you try HamQTH (free) and then "QRZ.com via Pathfinder" as your
callbook. "QRZ.com via Pathfinder" requires a free "membership" in QRZ; it's limited to 1 lookup every 4 seconds, so you don't want
to use it to update every QSO in your log, but you can check out the information available from QRZ at no cost. See "Configuring
DXKeeper to use QRZ.com via Pathfinder" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup

+ Ham QTH is free, and has no limit on lookup rate.

+ If you decide that you prefer QRZ, then you can upgrade your QRZ subscription to "XML Data", and change the settings on the
Callbook tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window accordingly.

Can it do this with a complete log update?

+ Yes. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/UpdateLogFromCallbook.htm

+ Be sure to backup your log (Configuration window, Log tab, Backup button) before invoking the CBA function on more than one QSO!

I'm also new to county hunting so have never entered counties in DXKeeper so far but I have a log going back many years.

+ On the Awards tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "Other Awards" panel's "Subdivision validity checking" box; so
configured, DXKeeper will consider any QSO whose primary administrative subdivision (for US stations: state) or secondary
administrative subdivision (for US stations: county) to be "broken"; you can see such QSOs by clicking the Broke button in the
Filter panel at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" panel. Check out

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Progress.htm#Counties%20button

AB2E Darrell

Dave,
Thanks for all the great info!
Greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
73 Darrell AB2E

Scott

Quick note: I just moved and got active in HF again. I just upgraded my setup and reset my qth id in dxkeeper. Basically redid my log so that I could do LoTW for the first time. It was a lot of lookups. You will find that HamQTH works great but not as updated as QRZ. The free QRZ lookup will also stop at 100 lookups in a 24hr period without the subscription. Since I'm never doing more than a hundred a day again, I would do a hundred every other day. Took a while but the data was more accurate.
Scott
KD4SIR

w6de

You comment: “Can it do this with a complete log update?”

If you log is extends across years/decades think twice about updating years old QSO entries in your log book.  You have a good chance of overwriting, old but valid, information with new [but incorrect for your old QSO] information from a current date/time call book source.

People move and call signs are reissued, all of which may change critical details of your previous QSO.

In particular for USA call signs, a Hawaii Call/Operator may move to the mainland, then his address will change and any previous awards you have tracked for Hawaii based on that QSO will change.  Same happens when an Alaskan operator moved to the lower 48.  USA Amateur Extra 1x2 and 2x1 are almost guaranteed to be reassigned after their expiration.  I am at least the 3rd or 4th holder of the 1x2 call sign W6DE.

Other worldwide licensing authorities may re-issue call signs and certainly other worldwide amateurs move to new locations.  These changes may affect your awards; think Worked All States, DXCC, worked all USA Counties, worked all Japan prefectures, Russian Oblasts, the list goes on. . .

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ Excellent points, Dave. Thanks!