Question about spot in FT8


Anthony W. DePrato
 

Callsign DXCCCountry Freq Mode FirstTime Source Notes

VE7EA Canada 18,093.0 CW 2021-11-03 19:10 ZL2IFB SOTA VE7/CL021
R7KEA European Russia 14,074.0 FT8 2021-11-03 19:17 LU4EFC FT8 QSO TNX!!
4Z5ML Israel 14,074.0 FT8 2021-11-03 19:16 LU4EFC FT8 QSO TNX!!
HC5AI Ecuador 14,018.0 CW 2021-11-03 19:15 K6INM cw heard in ne ca
VE1WAN Canada 18,101.0 FT8 2021-11-03 19:15 WB4EHG
EA3HMM Spain 14,074.0 FT8 2021-11-03 19:14 LU4EFC FT8 QSO TNX!!
S51CK Slovenia 7,137.0 SSB 2021-11-03 19:14 ZL3CHE Tnx Ivo / CQ
PQ213CFN Brazil 28,406.0 SSB 2021-11-03 19:12 PS7DX cq
KB1VFU United States 18,140.0 SSB 2021-11-03 19:12 W0WOW 1812 miles
EA2K Spain 14,245.0 SSB 2021-11-03 19:17 NY6G 59 in CA!
PZ2YT Suriname 14,190.0 SSB 2021-11-03 19:12 KT4LR 59 IN FL
KA7GPP United States 14,059.0 CW 2021-11-03 19:20 W6LEN KFF-3208 WA


WA4JQS United States 14,074.0 FT8 2021-11-03 19:19 WA5VAH-# FT8 -11 dB 1339 Hz KY


i have started seeing this FT8 spot with my call sign show up after updating WSJT. i know this is dxlab group but i use dxlab as my logging software. i can call one station and i will see a spot for my call show up then the Source station will changes maybe 10 times in the next min.
without me making another transmission.i have looked in both spot collector and wsjt and turned off all psk and anything that might cause this spotting. i am thinking it is either skimmers or a rev beacon. i feel this just add's to the dx cluster over head and not needed. anyone have any ideal.
BTW i asked this on the JTLERT ground and was told i needed to learn how to use my software or go QRT. nice bunch .. wont be going back there.
73 Tony WA4JQS


HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 12/03/2021 6:34 am, Anthony W. DePrato wrote:
i asked this on the JTLERT ground and was told i needed to learn how to use my software or go QRT. nice bunch .. wont be going back there.
73 Tony WA4JQS

The go QRT response (from me) was an attempt at levity. Sorry you took it literally.

Your problem is that you don't want to see spots of your Callsign from other FT8 users.

You can't force everyone else to turn off their PSKReporter spotting or Cluster spotting, so your only option is to configure SpotCollector to avoid showing these spots. This is the correct group to get an authoritative answer as to how to do that, assuming it is possible.

de Laurie VK3AMA
(JTAlert author)


iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:34 AM Anthony W. DePrato <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com> wrote:

i have started seeing this FT8 spot with my call sign show up after
updating WSJT. i know this is dxlab group but i use dxlab as my
logging software. i can call one station and i will see a spot for my
call show up then the Source station will changes maybe 10 times in
the next min.
without me making another transmission.i have looked in both spot
collector and wsjt and turned off all psk and anything that might
cause this spotting. i am thinking it is either skimmers or a rev
beacon. i feel this just add's to the dx cluster over head and not
needed. anyone have any ideal.
I've noticed it within the last week or two too. Apparently some sort
of connection has been established between automated FT8 spotting
(maybe PSKReporter??) and the DX clusters.

73,

~iain / N6ML


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

Tony,

Spotting stations that end in "-#' are RBN nodes. You are being spotted
when the RBN digital nodes see your CQ. There is nothing you can do to
prevent those spots except *NOT* call CQ.

If you don't want to see RBN spots for digital modes (RTTY, FT8, FT4,
etc.) or CW, in SpotCollector, select Config -> Special Callsigns,
and *Check* "Discard spots from spotting station callsigns ending in -#"

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-11 2:34 PM, Anthony W. DePrato wrote:
Callsign       DXCCCountry                            Freq  Mode FirstTime           Source         Notes
VE7EA          Canada                             18,093.0  CW 2021-11-03 19:10    ZL2IFB         SOTA VE7/CL021
R7KEA          European Russia                    14,074.0  FT8 2021-11-03 19:17    LU4EFC         FT8 QSO TNX!!
4Z5ML          Israel                             14,074.0  FT8 2021-11-03 19:16    LU4EFC         FT8 QSO TNX!!
HC5AI          Ecuador                            14,018.0  CW 2021-11-03 19:15    K6INM          cw heard in ne ca
VE1WAN         Canada                             18,101.0  FT8 2021-11-03 19:15    WB4EHG
EA3HMM         Spain                              14,074.0  FT8 2021-11-03 19:14    LU4EFC         FT8 QSO TNX!!
S51CK          Slovenia                            7,137.0  SSB 2021-11-03 19:14    ZL3CHE         Tnx Ivo / CQ
PQ213CFN       Brazil                             28,406.0  SSB 2021-11-03 19:12    PS7DX          cq
KB1VFU         United States                      18,140.0  SSB 2021-11-03 19:12    W0WOW          1812 miles
EA2K           Spain                              14,245.0  SSB 2021-11-03 19:17    NY6G           59 in CA!
PZ2YT          Suriname                           14,190.0  SSB 2021-11-03 19:12    KT4LR          59 IN FL
KA7GPP         United States                      14,059.0  CW 2021-11-03 19:20    W6LEN          KFF-3208                    WA
WA4JQS         United States                      14,074.0  FT8 2021-11-03 19:19    WA5VAH-#       FT8  -11 dB 1339 Hz         KY
i have started seeing this FT8 spot with my call sign show up after updating WSJT. i know this is dxlab group but i use dxlab as my logging software. i can call one station and i will see a spot for my call show up then the Source station will changes maybe 10 times in the next min.
without me making another transmission.i have looked in both spot collector and wsjt and turned off all psk and anything that might cause this spotting. i am thinking it is either skimmers or a rev beacon. i feel this just add's to the dx cluster over head and not needed. anyone have any ideal.
BTW i asked this on the JTLERT ground and was told i needed to learn how to use my software or go QRT. nice bunch .. wont be going back there.
73 Tony WA4JQS


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

I've noticed it within the last week or two too. Apparently some sort
of connection has been established between automated FT8 spotting
(maybe PSKReporter??) and the DX clusters.
Yes, someone has turned on a link between the RBN/Digital network and
the general cluster network.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-03-11 3:30 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 11:34 AM Anthony W. DePrato <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com> wrote:

i have started seeing this FT8 spot with my call sign show up after
updating WSJT. i know this is dxlab group but i use dxlab as my
logging software. i can call one station and i will see a spot for my
call show up then the Source station will changes maybe 10 times in
the next min.
without me making another transmission.i have looked in both spot
collector and wsjt and turned off all psk and anything that might
cause this spotting. i am thinking it is either skimmers or a rev
beacon. i feel this just add's to the dx cluster over head and not
needed. anyone have any ideal.
I've noticed it within the last week or two too. Apparently some sort
of connection has been established between automated FT8 spotting
(maybe PSKReporter??) and the DX clusters.
73,
~iain / N6ML


iain macdonnell - N6ML
 

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 12:37 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:
Spotting stations that end in "-#' are RBN nodes. You are being spotted
when the RBN digital nodes see your CQ. There is nothing you can do to
prevent those spots except *NOT* call CQ.
It's not just CQs - (starting a week or so ago) I've been instantly
spotted by these -#'s when I've just been calling DX stations. I very
rarely CQ.

73,

~iain / N6ML


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

The go QRT response (from me) was an attempt at levity. Sorry you took it literally.

Your problem is that you don't want to see spots of your Callsign from other FT8 users.

You can't force everyone else to turn off their PSKReporter spotting or Cluster spotting, so your only option is to configure
SpotCollector to avoid showing these spots. This is the correct group to get an authoritative answer as to how to do that, assuming
it is possible.

+ If you don't want to Spot Database Entries for your callsign to be created, add your callsign to SpotCollector's "Special
Callsign" list with no tags.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ