Topics

Question about DXK's "Add Needed" Function

Russ Ravella

Hi Dave,
I'm trying to understand the "QSL Queue" function in DXK.  I have lots of QSO's logged which have been submitted to LoTW but for which confirmations have not occurred.  I have configured bands and modes in the Award's tab.  I've performed the sync functions in the LoTW sync box. "Getting Started with QSLing" in the DXL documentation includes this statement: "When you click the Add Needed button, DXKeeper scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance your progress towards these awards on the bands and modes specified on the Configuration window's Awards tab, creating an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO."   I select "LoTW" in the QSL tab's "QSL Via" box and hit "Add Needed" however no entries are placed in the QSL Queue.  In fact, nothing happens.  Shouldn't all the unconfirmed QSOs in my log meeting the criteria show up in the Queue ?  Obviously, I'm misunderstand what's going on.
Thanks as always,
Russ, KR6W

I'm trying to understand the "QSL Queue" function in DXK. I have lots of QSO's logged which have been submitted to LoTW but for which confirmations have not occurred. I have configured bands and modes in the Award's tab. I've performed the sync functions in the LoTW sync box. "Getting Started with QSLing" in the DXL documentation includes this statement: "When you click the Add Needed button, DXKeeper scans all QSOs in the Log Page Display for unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmation would advance your progress towards these awards on the bands and modes specified <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXingObjectives> on the Configuration window's Awards tab, creating an entry in the QSL Queue for each such QSO." I select "LoTW" in the QSL tab's "QSL Via" box and hit "Add Needed" however no entries are placed in the QSL Queue. In fact, nothing happens. Shouldn't all the unconfirmed QSOs in my log meeting the criteria show up in the Queue ?

+ No. DXLab's LoTW automation encourages you to submit all of your logged QSOs to LoTW, whether you need their confirmations for awards or not; the same is true of DXKeeper's eQSL automation. Thus the "Add Needed" function does nothing when invoked with the "QSL Via" panel set to LoTW or eQSL (on the Main window's QSL tab).

+ The "Add Needed" function is used to populate the QSL Queue with QSOs for which you will request confirmation from your QSL partner by sending them a QSL card, either by printing a QSL card, by printing a QSL label that you will affix to an already-printed QSL card, or by adding a record to an ADIF or tab-delimited file that you will use to drive a QSL card/label generation application that is more flexible than DXKeeper's utilitarian capability.

Russ Ravella

Thanks for the response Dave.

I”m sorry but for some reason I just can’t wrap my head around this. I HAVE submitted all of my loggeed QSO’s to LoTW whether I need their confirmations or not. Every single one is in there. There are a few (at this moment, about 10 to be exact) that I DO need confirmations for. They’re sprinkled all over my log. Since those QSO partners have not confirmed via LoTW or by card, I need to try some other means. For example sending physical QSL cards (to be accurate, I mean sending QSL cards AGAIN because I’ve QSLed all of them at least once already). This seems to be exactly the situation you’re describing in your second bullet as being what “Add Needed” is for ? I know I’m completely not getting this. Sorry !

On Jul 11, 2020, at 10:52 PM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Oh oh !!  Sorry, I think I just got it !  the QSL via” box is selecting how I intend to QSL my PARTNER to try to obtain a confirmation.  Since I’ve ALREADY “QSLed via” LoTW, there are no QSO’s to populate the queue with ?  If I’m going to try to QSL via some other method, “Add Needed” will find QSOs for which I need confirmation but have not "QSL’ed via” that method yet ?  Is that it ?

On Jul 11, 2020, at 11:06 PM, Russ Ravella via groups.io <rus5@...> wrote:

[...]

+ Close. There's only one way to request confirmation of a QSO that has not been confirmed via LoTW: send your QSO partner a QSL card that says "please QSL!". With the "QSL Via" panel set to QSL cards, QSL Labels, ADIF file, or tab-delimited file, clicking the "Add Needed" button will populate the QSL Queue with an entries for unconfirmed QSO whose confirmation would advance your award progress (based on your award objectives as specified in the settings on DXKeeper's Configuration window's Awards tab); you can then direct DXKeeper to print QSL cards or QSL labels, or to generate an ADIF or tab-delimited file from those QSL Queue entries.

+ For the situation where your QSO partner informs you that he or she doesn't have QSL cards, you can also the "QSL Via" panel to "Reply cards". A "Reply card" is a pre-printed QSL card for your QSO partner to sign and mail back to you.

On Jul 11, 2020, at 11:06 PM, Russ Ravella via groups.io <rus5=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ok, I think I’ve got it. Thanks yet again Dave. I think I’ve finally managed to completely wean myself off of the last of HRD and will hopefully never launch it again. I’m trying to get DXK firmly under my belt to that end.

Have a great weekend Dave !
Russ, KR6W

On Jul 11, 2020, at 11:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Take it slow, Russ; there's no rush. And keep posting questions here when you're not certain that you understand something.

https://www.avg.com