QSL "R"

Earl Needham

I have a habit of setting ALL QSL's to "R when I work somebody -- IOW I request QSL via LoTW, card, and eQSL.

Two questions -- first, is this ridiculous?

And second -- is there an automatic way to set the other two to, say, a blank when I receive a QSL via any method?

Tnx,
Earl
KD5XB

I have a habit of setting ALL QSL's to "R when I work somebody -- IOW I request QSL via LoTW, card, and eQSL.

Two questions -- first, is this ridiculous?

+ There is no log item named "ALL QSLs".

+ DXKeeper's QSL automation is triggered by setting one or more of the "QSL Sent", "LoTW QSL Sent", and/or "eQSL QSL Sent" items to 'R', meaning "Requested". There are options on the appropriate tabs of the "QSL Configuration" window to automate this.

+ The "Add Requested" function on the Main window's QSL tab employs these items to populate the QSL Queue, as a function of that tab's "QSL Via" panel setting. After an outgoing QSL card or label is printed from the QSL Queue, the "Update Log" function changes that QSO's "QSL Sent" item from 'R' to 'Y'. After submitting a QSO to LoTW, when the "Sync LoTW QSOs" function reports that QSO to have been accepted by LoTW, its "LoTW QSL Sent" item is set to 'Y' and and its "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item is set to 'R'. Submitting a QSO to eQSL sets its "eQSL QSL Sent" item to 'Y' and its "eQSL QSL Rcvd" item to 'R'.

+ The "Sync eQSL QSLs" and "Sync LoTW QSLs" functions automate the updating of a QSO's "eQSL QSL Rcvd" and "LoTW QSL Rcvd" items respectively. You must manually set a QSO's "QSL Rcvd" item to 'R' when you receive a QSL card for that QSO.

And second -- is there an automatic way to set the other two to, say, a blank when I receive a QSL via any method?

+ No. You wouldn't want the receipt of an eQSL confirmation to prevent you from seeking an LoTW confirmation, for example, as eQSL confirmations are not valid for ARRL awards.

+ I suggest that you review

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm

+ and

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing

Earl Needham

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 12:16 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Oops, one got away from me!  That blank message was a wild one, I tell ya'!

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 12:16 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I have a habit of setting ALL QSL's to "R when I work somebody -- IOW I request QSL via LoTW, card, and eQSL.

Two questions -- first, is this ridiculous?

+ There is no log item named "ALL QSLs".

Yes, I've been doing this manually.

+ DXKeeper's QSL automation is triggered by setting one or more of the "QSL Sent", "LoTW QSL Sent", and/or "eQSL QSL Sent" items to 'R', meaning "Requested". There are options on the appropriate tabs of the "QSL Configuration" window to automate this.

<snip>

+ I suggest that you review

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm

+ and

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLing

Headed there now, thanks.

Earl

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-07-01 1:33 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
I have a habit of setting ALL QSL's to "R when I work somebody -- IOW
I request QSL via LoTW, card, and eQSL.
You can direct DXKeeper to *automatically* set QSL_Sent, LotW_QSL_Sent
and eQSL_QSL_Sent to 'R' by checking the appropriate boxes in the
General, LotW and eQSL tabs of the QSL Config respectively.

Typically, one would upload to LotW daily/weekly - that will also
automatically set LotW_QSL_RCVD = 'R'.

And second -- is there an automatic way to set the other two to, say,
a blank when I receive a QSL via any method?
No, confirming a QSO by one method will not clear QSL_Sent for the other
two. As Dave pointed out, in general, since eQSL confirmations do not
count for ARRL awards one would not want receipt of an eQSL
"confirmation" to clear requests for cards/LotW.

One *could* use the "Need" filter (see Help file) and filter the log for
QSOs that are not needed, then use the "Modify" feature on the Advanced
filters screen to clear QSL_SENT, if one did not want to "waste" a card
for unneeded QSOs. It might be possible to automate the operation by
writing a script (I have not tested the possibility) if it is done on a
regular basis.

On 2022-07-01 1:33 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
I have a habit of setting ALL QSL's to "R when I work somebody -- IOW I
request QSL via LoTW, card, and eQSL.
Two questions -- first, is this ridiculous?
And second -- is there an automatic way to set the other two to, say, a
blank when I receive a QSL via any method?
Tnx,
Earl
KD5XB

One *could* use the "Need" filter (see Help file) and filter the log for
QSOs that are not needed, then use the "Modify" feature on the Advanced
filters screen to clear QSL_SENT, if one did not want to "waste" a card
for unneeded QSOs. It might be possible to automate the operation by
writing a script (I have not tested the possibility) if it is done on a
regular basis.

+ An easier way to accomplish that is to set the "QSL Via" panel to cards or labels, and then click the "Add Needed" button; unconfirmed QSOs whose confirmations will advance the awards you configured DXKeeper to pursue will be added to the QSL card.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ An easier way to accomplish that is to set the "QSL Via" panel to cards or labels, and then click the "Add Needed" button;
I was thinking of the opposite action ... *clearing* QSL_SENT for QSOs
that were not needed.

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 05:36 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
+ An easier way to accomplish that is to set the "QSL Via" panel to cards or labels, and then click the "Add Needed" button;
I was thinking of the opposite action ... *clearing* QSL_SENT for QSOs
that were not needed.

+ On the "QSL Configuration" window's General tab,  the "Preset QSL Requested checkbox" and "Initialize QSL Sent to 'R' for each imported QSO" option should only be enabled if your intent is to send a QSL card to every QSO partner with whom you log a QSO.

+ These days, most ops only send a QSL card if asked by their QSO partner -- in which case you should check the Capture window's "QSL Requested" box.

+ When its time to print cards or labels, click the "Add Needed" button to generate outgoing QSL cards/labels for which a confirmation would advance your award progress, and then click the "Add Requested" button to generate outgoing QSL cards/labels for the QSO partners who requested one.