Topics

QSL Date Format

Gerhard "Gary" Jaeger, DF2RG

Good morning Dave,

I just would like to ask whether it is possible to change the QSL Date Format to be printed on cards to dd-mmm-yyyy (4 digit year), of course English month abbreviation.
So far this is only possible when you use the ISO 8601 format yyyy-mm-dd.

As an old fashioned European, I would like to use "03 Mar 2021", which makes clear that it is not 21 March (20)03 ...
By the way, WHO is actually using LOCAL month abbreviations? Can just be the local VHF/UHF guy talking to locals from town only 😉

73 de Gary, DF2RG

Kenneth Johansson

That is, ideed, the only proper and safe way to do it- Kudos Gary!
73
Ken/SM4EMO

Good morning Dave,
I just would like to ask whether it is possible to change the QSL Date
Format to be printed on cards to dd-mmm-yyyy (4 digit year), of course
English month abbreviation.
So far this is only possible when you use the ISO 8601 format yyyy-mm-dd.
As an old fashioned European, I would like to use "03 Mar 2021", which
makes clear that it is not 21 March (20)03 ...
By the way, WHO is actually using LOCAL month abbreviations? Can just
be the local VHF/UHF guy talking to locals from town only 😉
73 de Gary, DF2RG

I just would like to ask whether it is possible to change the QSL Date Format to be printed on cards to dd-mmm-yyyy (4 digit year), of course English month abbreviation.
So far this is only possible when you use the ISO 8601 format yyyy-mm-dd.

+ That would unleash a never-ending cascade of requests for idiosyncratic changes to QSL cards and labels. If you want more flexibility in generating QSL cards or labels than what DXKeeper provides, see

"QSLing via ADIF or tab-delimited files: Generating QSL cards via an external application or service by way of the QSL Queue" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#QSLing%20via%20ADIF

Gerhard "Gary" Jaeger, DF2RG

Hi group,

I was kind of expecting this answer. Still I do not understand, why the most common European way of writing the date is idiosyncratic ...
When I do large numbers of cards, I use BV7 from DF3CB, where I can put the date in any format. But for quick answering/printing a small number of cards, I was hoping to use DXKeeper with an easy to understand date fomat.
Nevertheless, Dave, thanks for all your efforts to make DXLab the Best in the world!

73 de Gary, DF2RG

I just would like to ask whether it is possible to change the QSL Date Format to be printed on cards to dd-mmm-yyyy (4 digit year), of course English month abbreviation.
So far this is only possible when you use the ISO 8601 format yyyy-mm-dd.

+ That would unleash a never-ending cascade of requests for idiosyncratic changes to QSL cards and labels. If you want more flexibility in generating QSL cards or labels than what DXKeeper provides, see

"QSLing via ADIF or tab-delimited files: Generating QSL cards via an external application or service by way of the QSL Queue" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#QSLing%20via%20ADIF

I was kind of expecting this answer. Still I do not understand, why the most common European way of writing the date is idiosyncratic ...

When I do large numbers of cards, I use BV7 from DF3CB, where I can put the date in any format. But for quick answering/printing a small number of cards, I was hoping to use DXKeeper with an easy to understand date format.

+ Yours is the first request for an additional date format since the DD-MMM-YY options were made available in DXKeeper 8.7.0 - 11 years ago. One request per decade is idiosyncratic.

+ The YYYY-MM-DD format is a worldwide (ISO) standard, and is unambiguous as to meaning.

+ The DD-MMM-YY formats were easy to add because they require less horizontal space than the YYYY-MM-DD format . Adding a DD-MMM-YYYY format would break both the QSL card and QSL label layouts because it contains more characters than the YYYY-MM-DD format. Whichever columns I choose to shrink to compensate would make some set of users unhappy.

+ Because I could spend all of my available time creating new QSL card and QSL label layouts, I have intentionally kept DXKeeper's generated QSL cards and labels utilitarian, pointing users who want more flexibility to DXKeeper's ability to "drive" more flexible QSL card generators like BV7 with an ADIF or tab-delimited file exported from the QSL Queue.