Topics

PropView update

Dave AA6YQ

Recall that last Friday, we discovered that PropView could no longer obtain the predicted smoothed sunspot number (SSN) from

http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/predicted-sunspot-radio-flux.txt

Kent N6WT investigated, and learned that this file was replaced with a new file in JSON format.

After I sent Kent a version of PropView that can extract the SSN from the new JSON file, we learned that the NOAA was switching from
HTTP to HTTPS. URLs that specify HTTP still work (for now), but are noticeably slower. I sent Kent a version of PropView that
requests the "Current Solar and Geomagnetic Conditions" and "Predicted SFI and A-index" files using HTTPS; I also sent this version
to Microsoft for malware clearance. As he was testing this version, Kent discovered that PropView could no longer extract the
current month's SSN from the new JSON file: the had NOAA changed the date format in this file from YYYY-MM-DD to YYYY-MM.

I've sent an updated version of PropView to Kent that handles the new date format, and submitted it to Microsoft for malware
clearance.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring from the NOAA; an SSN file using dates from the Mayan calendar, perhaps?

For now, after starting the current version of PropView, set the SSN to 3.2 in the Conditions panel on PropView's Main window's
Parameters tab.

Some good news: Microsoft cleared WinWarbler 9.2.8, declaring it free of malware.