Topics

PropView band selection

Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...>

PropView can be be configured to have band specific parameters but it appears that these band specific parameters can only be invoked by setting the transceiver to the band of interest.    The user can select (in Parameters/Conditions) the mode to be evaluated  and that mode is not constrained to be the mode currently in use.   I would find it useful to be able to specify the band in Parameters/Conditions, or elsewhere,  so I can check conditions on another band without leaving the band I'm currently working.

How do other users review propagation for one band while working another?

73,
Andy, k3wyc

PropView can be be configured to have band specific parameters but it appears that these band specific parameters can only be invoked by setting the transceiver to the band of interest. The user can select (in Parameters/Conditions) the mode to be evaluated and that mode is not constrained to be the mode currently in use. I would find it useful to be able to specify the band in Parameters/Conditions, or elsewhere, so I can check conditions on another band without leaving the band I'm currently working.

How do other users review propagation for one band while working another?

+ On the Configuration window's Prediction tab, uncheck the "Frequency-dependent Settings" panel's Enable box.

+ Before generating a "To the DX Station" prediction, specify the appropriate Takeoff angle and Power in the "Your Station" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab.

Andy k3wyc <a.durbin@...>

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 01:56 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Before generating a "To the DX Station" prediction, specify the appropriate Takeoff angle and Power in the "Your Station" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab.
Seems a bit clumsy but, yes, that does work.  Wouldn't a Freq selection under the mode selection of Parameters/Conditions be more convenient?  The available choices would be Rig and all the bands that are populated in "frequency dependent settings".   Setting would default to Rig at program start.

However. given the number of replies to my original post,  I doubt there is enough interest to justify the effort.

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

+ Before generating a "To the DX Station" prediction, specify the appropriate Takeoff angle and Power in the "Your Station" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab.

Seems a bit clumsy but, yes, that does work. Wouldn't a Freq selection under the mode selection of Parameters/Conditions be more convenient? The available choices would be Rig and all the bands that are populated in "frequency dependent settings". Setting would default to Rig at program start.

However. given the number of replies to my original post, I doubt there is enough interest to justify the effort.

* Better automation for the "generate a propagation prediction for Band A while the radio is on Band B" scenario is certainly possible, but my suspicion is that its use would be so infrequent that few would remember how to employ it. Typing in a take-off angle and power output isn't that clumsy...