Topics

PropView 1.9.9 is available

Dave AA6YQ

If you are using Window Defender Antivirus (Windows 10), update it to its latest malware definition in

<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions>

before installing or upgrading to PropView 1.9.9.

This release accommodates changes made by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration:

- the file that specifies predicted smoothed sunspot numbers has been changed from text format to JSON format

- downloaded files should specify HTTPS rather than HTTP

Thanks to Kent N6WT for engaging with NOAA personnel to determine what changed, and for testing the several new versions of PropView
that were required.

1. In the "Prediction URLs" panel On the Configuration window's Prediction tab,

1a. the default "Predicted Sunspots Numbers" URL is changed to

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/json/solar-cycle/predicted-solar-cycle.json

1b. the default "Current Solar and Geomagnetic Conditions" URL is changed to

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/wwv.txt

1c. the default "Predicted SFI and A-index" URL is changed to

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/45-day-ap-forecast.txt

2. In the "Propagation Web Sites" panel on the Main window's Parameters tab, the default for the second URL is changed to

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts

3. the documentation file Operation.htm has been updated

Notes:

1. Update your firewall and anti-malware applications to consider this new version of PropView to be "safe"

Virus total: 69 of 70 engines detected no malware

Jotti: 15 of 15 engines detected no malware

Microsoft Security Intelligence: no malware

2. If this upgrade doesn't work correctly, see the "After an Upgrade" section of
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationStoppedWorking>

3. After upgrading, to revert to the previous version of PropView, see
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RevertApplicationVersion>

PropView 1.9.9 is available via the DXLab Launcher and via

<www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm>

Curt Bowles

Hello FYI...

After updating PropView to 1.9.9 I was still getting ....PropView Sunspot Number – unable to download sunspot number from.... error msg....

Two issues when comparing to the links in the above information:
1.
Using Launcher I used the Restore feature to reload ProView 1.9.9 - no change
2. For Predicted Sunspot Numbers ... the old link was still there... Hit the Default button (DEF) and the new link showed up.
3. The other two links on the Prediction Tab OK
4. Cut & Pasted the link https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts into the Propagation Web Sites on the Parameters TAB.

5. Closed ProView and reopened:  I am no longer receiving the error msg..

6. Closed DXLab Suite and reopened: :  I am no longer receiving the error msg..

--
Curt Bowles
VE3ZN

After updating PropView to 1.9.9 I was still getting ....PropView Sunspot Number – unable to download sunspot number from.... error msg....

Two issues when comparing to the links in the above information:

1. Using Launcher I used the Restore feature to reload ProView 1.9.9 - no change

+ As expected.

2. For Predicted Sunspot Numbers ... the old link was still there... Hit the Default button (DEF) and the new link showed up.

+ That means the URL specified was different than the previous default value; PropView 1.9.9 will only automatically update the URL if it exactly matches the previous default.

3. The other two links on the Prediction Tab OK

4. Cut & Pasted the link https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts into the Propagation Web Sites on the Parameters TAB.

+ PropView 1.9.9 will only automatically update the second URL in this panel if it exactly matches the previous default.