Topics

Proposed increase in the height of DXView's Main window to make the current antenna azimuth stand out

Dave AA6YQ

The purpose of the grey shading behind the current antenna azimuth in the Heading panel on DXView's Main window is to distinguish it from the short-path and long-path headings to the currently-selected location. Thinking about Rich K1HTV's request below for the option to use a different shading color, I'd rather distinguish the current antenna azimuth by rendering it in a larger font, as shown in this screen shot:

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/DXViewProposal.jpg>

This change would permanently increase the height of DXView's Main window to its height when the "Query Special Callsign" database option is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab. With DXKeeper running, all 15 "Antenna preset" buttons would be available.

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Is there any way in a future release of DX View to change the dark gray color shading behind the medium blue antenna azimuth heading to a much lighter background color? It is very difficult to see the actual position of the antenna. How about a light yellow. Even a light gray would be better than what it is now.

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

Joe Subich, W4TV

Any objections?
Yes. I never use special callsign tags, or the rotator
control/preset. Thus the change forces an otherwise avoidable
waste of screen space.

Alternatively, it looks as if the progress table could be tightened
up a bit (removing dead space after "phone" and one character for
each band column except 160M) to allow a larger font for current
heading. It looks as if it would only take saving about 5 character
spaces (assuming the table is rendered in a mono spaced font).

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-27 10:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
The purpose of the grey shading behind the current antenna azimuth in the Heading panel on DXView's Main window is to distinguish it from the short-path and long-path headings to the currently-selected location. Thinking about Rich K1HTV's request below for the option to use a different shading color, I'd rather distinguish the current antenna azimuth by rendering it in a larger font, as shown in this screen shot:
This change would permanently increase the height of DXView's Main window to its height when the "Query Special Callsign" database option is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab. With DXKeeper running, all 15 "Antenna preset" buttons would be available.
Any objections?
Dave, AA6YQ
Is there any way in a future release of DX View to change the dark gray color shading behind the medium blue antenna azimuth heading to a much lighter background color? It is very difficult to see the actual position of the antenna. How about a light yellow. Even a light gray would be better than what it is now.
Thanks.
Rich - K1HTV

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 7:48 PM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

> Any objections?

control/preset. Thus the change forces an otherwise avoidable
waste of screen space.

Alternatively, it looks as if the progress table could be tightened
up a bit (removing dead space after "phone" and one character for
each band column except 160M) to allow a larger font for current
heading. It looks as if it would only take saving about 5 character
spaces (assuming the table is rendered in a mono spaced font).
Agreed - in fact the M's are all rather redundant.

~iain / N6ML

On 2020-05-27 10:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

> Any objections?

control/preset. Thus the change forces an otherwise avoidable waste
of screen space.

Alternatively, it looks as if the progress table could be tightened up
a bit (removing dead space after "phone" and one character for each
band column except 160M) to allow a larger font for current heading.
It looks as if it would only take saving about 5 character spaces
(assuming the table is rendered in a mono spaced font).

+ The progress table would be less readable and less clickable if its column widths were reduced. And its panel will in the future be used to display realtime award tracking progress for other awards, some of which will require additional band columns (like 60M for Marathon and WPX).

Dave, AA6YQ

George Steube

Hi Dave,
Would there be an option to keep the present version?  I use another rotator control program (PST rotator) to control two antennas (Parking and auto positioning based on wind speed) and this will only waste display real estate on my screens.
73, George
W2GS

On 5/27/2020 9:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

Julio Peralta

Same here...

Julio, W4HY

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of George Steube
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 8:07 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Proposed increase in the height of DXView's Main window to make the current antenna azimuth stand out

Hi Dave,
Would there be an option to keep the present version? I use another
rotator control program (PST rotator) to control two antennas (Parking
and auto positioning based on wind speed) and this will only waste
display real estate on my screens.
73, George
W2GS

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

Dave / NR1DX

I 3rd that motion to keep it as it was or at least make the new way optional (check the box)

Dave
NR1DX

On 5/28/2020 9:12 AM, Julio Peralta via groups.io wrote:
Same here...

Julio, W4HY

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of George Steube
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Proposed increase in the height of DXView's Main window to make the current antenna azimuth stand out

Hi Dave,
Would there be an option to keep the present version? I use another
73, George
W2GS

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com
--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

neil_zampella

Um ... you all did see that this full screen only applies when the
'Query Special Callsign" option is enabled, right??

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/28/2020 10:13 AM, Dave / NR1DX wrote:
I 3rd that motion to keep it as it was or at least make the new way
optional (check the box)

Dave
NR1DX

On 5/28/2020 9:12 AM, Julio Peralta via groups.io wrote:
Same here...

Julio, W4HY

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of George
Steube
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Proposed increase in the height of DXView's Main
window to make the current antenna azimuth stand out

Hi Dave,
Would there be an option to keep the present version?  I use another
73, George
W2GS

The purpose of the grey shading behind the current antenna azimuth
in the Heading panel on DXView's Main window is to distinguish it
from the short-path and long-path headings to the currently-selected
location. Thinking about Rich K1HTV's request below for the option
to use a different shading color, I'd rather distinguish the current
antenna azimuth by rendering it in a larger font, as shown in this
screen shot:

This change would permanently increase the height of DXView's Main
window to its height when the "Query Special Callsign" database
option is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab. With
DXKeeper running, all 15 "Antenna preset" buttons would be available.

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Is there any way in a future release of DX View to change the dark
gray color shading behind the medium blue antenna azimuth heading to
a much lighter background color? It is very difficult to see the
actual position of the antenna. How about a light yellow. Even a
light gray would be better than what it is now.

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-05-28 10:34 AM, neil_zampella wrote:
Uh, no. Dave's statement was that "Query Special Callsign" would
be permanently enabled with this new display.

option is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab.

... Joe, W4TV

Neil, KN3ILZ
optional (check the box)

Dave
NR1DX

g4wjs

Hi Dave,

I would be happier about this if DXView actually read the current azimuth from my rotator controller. All I see is the reported Az set to the one requested by a DXView button. My rotator controller is a Pro.Sis.Tel Model D which has an Az query command which looks like this:

<STX>A?<CR>

where <STX> is ASCII control character 0x02, and <CR> is ASCII character 0x0D. The response is like:

<STX>A,?,1000,R<CR>

which should be interpreted as 100deg, and values range from 0000 to 3600. Elevation rotators use 'B' instead of 'A' in both the query and response.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/05/2020 03:04, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV
--

Bill

G4WJS.

g4wjs

Hi Dave,

I suspect I am wrong about the reported Az from Pro.Sis.Tel Model D controllers, I think it reports between 0000 and 3590 inclusive. I will check later when I am in the shack. I don't have an El rotator but wouldn't be surprised if they report 0000 to 0900, I can't find a manual that describes this.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/05/2020 15:51, g4wjs wrote:
Hi Dave,

I would be happier about this if DXView actually read the current azimuth from my rotator controller. All I see is the reported Az set to the one requested by a DXView button. My rotator controller is a Pro.Sis.Tel Model D which has an Az query command which looks like this:

<STX>A?<CR>

where <STX> is ASCII control character 0x02, and <CR> is ASCII character 0x0D. The response is like:

<STX>A,?,1000,R<CR>

which should be interpreted as 100deg, and values range from 0000 to 3600. Elevation rotators use 'B' instead of 'A' in both the query and response.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 28/05/2020 03:04, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Any objections?

Dave, AA6YQ

Thanks.

Rich - K1HTV

--

Bill

G4WJS.

neil_zampella

Joe,

that's not how I read this:

"This change would permanently increase the height of DXView's Main
window to its height when the "Query Special Callsign" database option
is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab."

To me it reads that you must have that enabled, for the size change, if
you don't have it enable, it won't happen.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/28/2020 10:45 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Uh, no.  Dave's statement was that "Query Special Callsign" would

... Joe, W4TV

Neil, KN3ILZ

optional (check the box)

Dave
NR1DX

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-05-28 11:01 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

To me it reads that you must have that enabled, for the size change,
if you don't have it enable, it won't happen.
If you look at the picture in the link Dave provided the issue is
clear. The larger "current azimuth" display will extend down to
the same line as the "Special Callsign Tags" field. In order to
display "current azimuth" the "Query Special Callsign" field would
have to be displayed (there would be no option). Thus the added
height of the proposed current azimuth display would force display
of the Special Callsign Tags (and the extra two) at all times - the
larger display whether the user wanted the added height or not.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-28 11:01 AM, neil_zampella wrote:
Joe,
that's not how I read this:
"This change would permanently increase the height of DXView's Main
window to its height when the "Query Special Callsign" database option
is enabled on the Configuration window's General tab."
To me it reads that you must have that enabled, for the size change, if
you don't have it enable, it won't happen.
Neil, KN3ILZ
On 5/28/2020 10:45 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Uh, no.  Dave's statement was that "Query Special Callsign" would

... Joe, W4TV

Neil, KN3ILZ

optional (check the box)

Dave
NR1DX

Rich - K1HTV

Dave,
 Your proposal for using a larger font for the Az setting works for me, but if the majority of users don't want to the layout of the DXV screen changed or expanded, a simple light yellow background would work just fine for the most current beam setting.

Rich - K1HTV.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ The progress table would be less readable and less clickable if its
column widths were reduced. And its panel will in the future be used
to display realtime award tracking progress for other awards, some of
which will require additional band columns (like 60M for Marathon and
WPX).
In which case, why not eliminate the SP/LP buttons and simply make the
heading windows directly clickable? Or eliminate the GeoMag fields as
they are redundant (also sown in SC).

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-27 11:24 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

> Any objections?

of screen space.

+ The progress table would be less readable and less clickable if its column widths were reduced. And its panel will in the future be used to display realtime award tracking progress for other awards, some of which will require additional band columns (like 60M for Marathon and WPX).
Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Would there be an option to keep the present version?

+ No, there would not.

I use another rotator control program (PST rotator) to control two antennas (Parking and auto positioning based on wind speed) and this will only waste display real estate on my screens.

+ Try temporarily enabling the "Query Special Callsign database" option on DXView's Configuration window's General tab, and you'll see how little space would be "wasted".

Dave, AA6YQ

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 10:37 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

+ The progress table would be less readable and less clickable if its
column widths were reduced. And its panel will in the future be used
to display realtime award tracking progress for other awards, some of
which will require additional band columns (like 60M for Marathon and
WPX).
In which case, why not eliminate the SP/LP buttons and simply make the
heading windows directly clickable? Or eliminate the GeoMag fields as
they are redundant (also sown in SC).
"max" (latitude of the path) isn't.

~iain / N6ML

On 2020-05-27 11:24 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

> Any objections?

of screen space.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Um ... you all did see that this full screen only applies when the 'Query Special Callsign" option is enabled, right??

+ The height of the Main window would be increased to its height with the "Query Special Callsign database" option enabled, whether
that option were enabled or not.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

> Um ... you all did see that this full screen only applies when the > 'Query Special Callsign" option is enabled, right??

Uh, no. Dave's statement was that "Query Special Callsign" would be permanently enabled with this new display.

+ That's not correct. The Main window height would be increased as it now is when the "Query Special Callsign database" option is enabled -- whether or not this option were enabled.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I would be happier about this if DXView actually read the current azimuth from my rotator controller.

+ If you want an on-screen position readout that's accurate when you change the azimuth by means other than DXView, then use the free N1MM Rotor application, and configure DXView to interoperate with it:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/N1MMRotor>

Dave, AA6YQ