Topics

Pre-filtering

Hi Dave. It varies. I have two QTHs. One is rather "capable" station-wise; the other is less so (but the WX is better) ;<). I have a fair idea of what i can hear from both locations, although I'm sometimes surprised (that's consistent with a point I think you've made in the past). So, I change the parameters a bit depending on where I am. SC has a ultra-capable ability to filter stuff I don't want/can't hear. But there is some stuff I don't want to GET to SC. The fire hose can be crippling -- particularly when stations from all over the planet are feeding FT4/8 spots.

So, to your question ... My experience tells me that if I limit the "spot input" to SC for FT4/8 spots to North America that seems to be satisfactory. If someone in Brazil can hear them but not a single station in NA has it's rather unlikely I will either. I have another VE7CC installation where the fish/spot net is cast more broadly. For CW, I want to cover a broader area, Greenland, Iceland, Northern SA, etc. For phone/RTTY/other spots, I see no need to pre-filter at all; the load on SC is negligible for these, regardless of their source. (Obviously, for 6m spots, well, that's a different issue.)

+ Thanks, Rick. You're far from the only DXLab user that "pre-filters" (discards some spots before they are added to the Spot Database). There is pre-filtering capability in SpotCollector, but it's limited to discarding spots of a specified callsign and discarding spots by a specified callsign:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/IdentifyBadCallsigns>

+ I'm thinking about adding additional pre-filtering to SpotCollector"

- by band (630m through 12cm)

- by mode group (SSB, AM, FM, CW, RTTY, PSK, FT4, FT8, JTx, OtherDigital)

- by origin (NAE, NAM, NAW, SA, EU, AS, AF, OC)

+ To users who pre-filter or would like to, what's missing from the above capabilities?

Rick WR0H

Those three in various combinations would work for me!

73
Rick WR0H

Rick

Dave: I think the three approaches you outlined below, in some combination, would be entirely satisfactory. And, thanks for the existing capabilities vis-a-vis pre-filtering. I have an ever-increasing list of "bad sources" -- those folks who insist on abusing the DX cluster, who create false spots, etc. That feature sure reduces "false alarms."

The proposed capability would allow me to reduce my "computer inventory" by two and kill the nailed-up VPNs used to reach them.

73! - Rick, 'GI

[snip]
+ I'm thinking about adding additional pre-filtering to SpotCollector"

- by band (630m through 12cm)

- by mode group (SSB, AM, FM, CW, RTTY, PSK, FT4, FT8, JTx, OtherDigital)

- by origin (NAE, NAM, NAW, SA, EU, AS, AF, OC)

+ To users who pre-filter or would like to, what's missing from the above capabilities?

Rod Greene

Dave,

Looks good to me especially if two can be used together such as Band and Mode.

Thanks! and 73, Rod/w7zrc

On Sunday, February 16, 2020, 7:40:26 PM MST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Re "in various combinations", here's an example of what I have in mind:

+ Say you've checked the 80m, FT4, EU, AF, AS, OC, and SA "pre-filtering" boxes:

- all incoming 80m spots would be discarded, regardless of mode or origin

- all FT4 spots would be discarded, regardless of band or origin

- all spots by stations in EU, AF, AS, OC, and SA would be discarded, regardless of band or mode

* more AA6YQ comments below

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ I'm thinking about adding additional pre-filtering to SpotCollector"

- by band (630m through 12cm)

- by mode group (SSB, AM, FM, CW, RTTY, PSK, FT4, FT8, JTx, OtherDigital)

- by origin (NAE, NAM, NAW, SA, EU, AS, AF, OC)

+ To users who pre-filter or would like to, what's missing from the above capabilities?

* I have extended the next version of SpotCollector to provide a new "Pre-filtering" window

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Prefilter.jpg>

+ and sent this new version for evaluation to several ops who expressed interest here.

bill steffey NY9H

very slick .... i can eliminate SSB  or DATA  !!!!

thanks for all you do ...

bill  ny9h

On 2/21/2020 6:25 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

* more AA6YQ comments below

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ I'm thinking about adding additional pre-filtering to SpotCollector"

- by band (630m through 12cm)

- by mode group (SSB, AM, FM, CW, RTTY, PSK, FT4, FT8, JTx, OtherDigital)

- by origin (NAE, NAM, NAW, SA, EU, AS, AF, OC)

+ To users who pre-filter or would like to, what's missing from the above capabilities?

* I have extended the next version of SpotCollector to provide a new "Pre-filtering" window

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Prefilter.jpg>

+ and sent this new version for evaluation to several ops who expressed interest here.

Ian Cook - VK6DW

Good stuff Dave!. I will be able to remove some of my rather convoluted sql queries. Would there be (maybe some time in the future) a front panel indicator for what's being blocked?

Good stuff Dave!. I will be able to remove some of my rather convoluted sql queries. Would there be (maybe some time in the future) a front panel indicator for what's being blocked?

+ I have further updated the next version of SpotCollector to make it easier to determine if pre-filtering is enabled with at least one band, mode family, or origin box checked in the new Pre-filtering window; if so,

- the "Spot source" panel at the top of the SpotCollector's Main window appends the word "pre-filtered"

- the "Pre-filter" button in the lower-right corner of the Configuration window's "Spot Database" tab displays the word "Enabled" beneath it (in blue font)

- the new "Pre-filter" button in the lower-right corner of the Configuration window's "Spot Sources" tab displays the word "Enabled" beneath it (in blue font)

- depressing the CTRL key while double-clicking the words "Spot source status" in the "Spot source" panel at the top of the SpotCollector's Main window displays SpotCollector's Pre-filtering window.

Thus the status of pre-filtering -- enabled or not -- is visible from SpotCollector's Main window and from two relevant tabs of its Configuration window, and the detailed "what spots are being ignored" status shown in the Pre-filtering window can be displayed with a single gesture from any of those three locations.