Topics

Pathfinder QRZ images

Frank Eichel

Has anyone else noticed that some QRZ pages displayed in Pathfinder have images that are not displayed correctly but are when the same page is viewed in Google Chrome?  Check out the VK4SX page to see some examples.

73, Frank VE7AWV

Has anyone else noticed that some QRZ pages displayed in Pathfinder have images that are not displayed correctly but are when the same page is viewed in Google Chrome?  Check out the VK4SX page to see some examples.

+ See "Preventing Script Errors and Ensuring that Web Pages are Correctly Rendered" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors

Dale Schwartz

YES! It cuts off the bottom halves of photos. I can’t figure out why. It must be a Windows problem.

Dale M. Schwartz

SCHWARTZ | POSEL

Immigration Law Group

Suite 450 RiverEdge One

5500 Interstate North Pkwy., NW

Atlanta, GA 30328

Tel:   770 951-1100

Fax: 770 951-1113
www.immlawfirm.com

   PAST PRESIDENT: AMERICAN
IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASS'N
  ADJUNCT PROFESSOR: EMORY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW (1989-2014)

On Jan 10, 2021, at 7:58 PM, Dave AA6YQ via groups.io <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
Has anyone else noticed that some QRZ pages displayed in Pathfinder have images that are not displayed correctly but are when the same page is viewed in Google Chrome?  Check out the VK4SX page to see some examples.

+ See "Preventing Script Errors and Ensuring that Web Pages are Correctly Rendered" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors

YES! It cuts off the bottom halves of photos. I can’t figure out why. It must be a Windows problem.

+ Pathfinder is Internet Explorer with customized search capability. See

"Preventing Script Errors and Ensuring that Web Pages are Correctly Rendered" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors

+ to make sure you have it configured correctly.

Frank Eichel

Hi Dave,

Pathfinder Configuration indicates that the Internet Explorer version is 11 and the Emulation uses the same version so I suppose the incorrect orientation of the images is due to JavaScript errors on the QRZ end.

Thanks.

73, Frank VE7AWV

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 16:58, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Has anyone else noticed that some QRZ pages displayed in Pathfinder have images that are not displayed correctly but are when the same page is viewed in Google Chrome?  Check out the VK4SX page to see some examples.

+ See "Preventing Script Errors and Ensuring that Web Pages are Correctly Rendered" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors

Pathfinder Configuration indicates that the Internet Explorer version is 11 and the Emulation uses the same version so I suppose the incorrect orientation of the images is due to JavaScript errors on the QRZ end.

+ What happens when you view the QRZ page with Internet Explorer version 11?

Pathfinder Configuration indicates that the Internet Explorer version is 11 and the Emulation uses the same version so I suppose the incorrect orientation of the images is due to JavaScript errors on the QRZ end.

+ When I direct Pathfinder to display the QRZ page for VK4SX, it fully displays all 18 photos of the photos included on that page, and its final text. The display is identical to what I see for the page

https://www.qrz.com/db/VK4SX

+ in Internet Explorer

Frank Eichel

Hi Dave,

Back at the radio now..... I agree that Pathfinder and Internet Explorer display the same content for VK4SX. However, the banner photo and 3 others in the body of the biography are sideways whereas in Google Chrome the same photos are flipped 90 degrees to the right and therefore right side up. It is not a problem for me, just a puzzle as to why it happens. Perhaps the answer lies in the EXIF data of the photos uploaded to QRZ?

73, Frank VE7AWV

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 22:14, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Pathfinder Configuration indicates that the Internet Explorer version is 11 and the Emulation uses the same version so I suppose the incorrect orientation of the images is due to JavaScript errors on the QRZ end.

+ When I direct Pathfinder to display the QRZ page for VK4SX, it fully displays all 18 photos of the photos included on that page, and its final text. The display is identical to what I see for the page

https://www.qrz.com/db/VK4SX

+  in Internet Explorer

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
Back at the radio now..... I agree that Pathfinder and Internet Explorer display the same content for VK4SX. However, the banner photo and 3 others in the body of the biography are sideways whereas in Google Chrome the same photos are flipped 90 degrees to the right and therefore right side up. It is not a problem for me, just a puzzle as to why it happens. Perhaps the answer lies in the EXIF data of the photos uploaded to QRZ?

+ Interesting, but I just don't have the time to determine why Chrome works one way and Internet Explorer works another. So long as Pathfinder and Internet Explorer are consistent, I'm a happy camper.

Tom LeClerc

The propensity for browsers to handle and display things differently is so annoying.  At work, it has caused us to tell users which browsers are supported and which are not.  IE is going away so fast that we no longer support it as have most of the major corporations that are our customers in favor of Chrome.  Even Edge faces an uphill battle.  (Note this is not the end users - mostly business to business) but it's so bad that many functions just do not work in some browsers...

Good luck Dave!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 8:36 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
AA6YQ comments below
Back at the radio now..... I agree that Pathfinder and Internet Explorer display the same content for VK4SX. However, the banner photo and 3 others in the body of the biography are sideways whereas in Google Chrome the same photos are flipped 90 degrees to the right and therefore right side up. It is not a problem for me, just a puzzle as to why it happens. Perhaps the answer lies in the EXIF data of the photos uploaded to QRZ?

+ Interesting, but I just don't have the time to determine why Chrome works one way and Internet Explorer works another. So long as Pathfinder and Internet Explorer are consistent, I'm a happy camper.

Tom LeClerc, Amateur Radio Station W1TJL
 (past calls WB1CBY, /VE8,XL8,CI8,VO2)

               LeClerc Consulting
              email: w1tjl@...
            PC/Network Consulting

Dave / NR1DX

Chrome no longer supports many file transfer protocols which is one reason we are phasing Chrome out in our business.  Oddly enough Windows Edge after years of not supporting FTP now includes support FTP. Internet Explorer on the other hand was dead on arrival 25 years ago

Dave
NR1DX

On 1/13/2021 7:05 AM, Tom LeClerc wrote:
The propensity for browsers to handle and display things differently is so annoying.  At work, it has caused us to tell users which browsers are supported and which are not.  IE is going away so fast that we no longer support it as have most of the major corporations that are our customers in favor of Chrome.  Even Edge faces an uphill battle.  (Note this is not the end users - mostly business to business) but it's so bad that many functions just do not work in some browsers...

Good luck Dave!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 8:36 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com <mailto:aa6yq@ambersoft.com>> wrote:

AA6YQ comments below

Back at the radio now..... I agree that Pathfinder and
Internet Explorer display the same content for VK4SX. However,
the banner photo and 3 others in the body of the biography are
sideways whereas in Google Chrome the same photos are flipped
90 degrees to the right and therefore right side up. It is not
a problem for me, just a puzzle as to why it happens. Perhaps
the answer lies in the EXIF data of the photos uploaded to QRZ?

+ Interesting, but I just don't have the time to determine why
Chrome works one way and Internet Explorer works another. So long
as Pathfinder and Internet Explorer are consistent, I'm a happy
camper.

Tom LeClerc, Amateur Radio Station W1TJL
 (past calls WB1CBY, /VE8,XL8,CI8,VO2)

               LeClerc Consulting
              email: w1tjl@arrl.net <mailto:w1tjl@arrl.net>
            PC/Network Consulting
--
Dave Manuals@ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com

Carl - WC4H

Hi Dave - NR1DX.

Windows Edge seems to be fairly decent.

Chrome has even removed the use of backspace to move back a page.  It's now a plugin.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Jim - KR9U

What about the Dissenter browser?
https://dissenter.com/

[...]

+ At the time I implemented Pathfinder, Microsoft alone offered a programmatic interface to their web browser Internet Explorer, in the form of a "web browser" control that effectively provides a captive web browser. This made implementation trivial and reliable -- at least until I added the ability to inspect the HTML returned by QRZ.com to extract and report callbook information. The "web browser" control works correctly on systems that have Microsoft's Edge browser installed but don't have "Internet Explorer" installed, so Microsoft's implementation of their "web browser" control must be considered excellent.

+ So long as this continues to be the case, developing versions of the Pathfinder application that utilize other web browsers would be an unwarranted diversion of development resources away from tasks that bring additional value to users.

+ For those who just can't stomach the use of Internet Explorer, there's a web-based version of Pathfinder that works with Google Chrome, Apple Safari, FireFox, or Opera:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/pathfinder/WebClient/

+ This web-based version does not interoperate with DXLab applications.