Pathfinder problem displaying maps from QRZ.com

Steve, N5EP

I configured Pathfinder to automatically login to QRZ.com and show information from that source.  In the resulting "Detail" tab from QRZ.com, there is a "Show Map" button.  Clicking on it produces an error message:  "You are using a browser that is not supported by Google Maps JavaScript API. Please consider changing your browser.".  The other DXLab apps on my system are configured to use the Chrome browser.  Is there a way to configure Pathfinder to use a different browser than Internet Explorer, or is there another recommended fix for this issue?

The Internet Explorer version I have is 11.789.19041.0, which should be current since my Windows 10 operating system is up to date.  However, Microsoft has deprecated Internet Explorer, and it is scheduled to be discontinued next year.

Steve, N5EP

I configured Pathfinder to automatically login to QRZ.com and show information from that source.  In the resulting "Detail" tab from QRZ.com, there is a "Show Map" button.  Clicking on it produces an error message:  "You are using a browser that is not supported by Google Maps JavaScript API. Please consider changing your browser.".  The other DXLab apps on my system are configured to use the Chrome browser.  Is there a way to configure Pathfinder to use a different browser than Internet Explorer, or is there another recommended fix for this issue?

The Internet Explorer version I have is 11.789.19041.0, which should be current since my Windows 10 operating system is up to date.  However, Microsoft has deprecated Internet Explorer, and it is scheduled to be discontinued next year.

+ Please follow the instructions in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors

+ Pathfinder employs the Microsoft Web Browser control to render web pages. This control works correctly when Microsoft Edge is the only web browser installed on your system.

Steve, N5EP

Thanks for the reply, Dave.  I had already consulted the instructions in https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors prior to my posting.  The Config window for Pathfinder indicates that both the Version and the Emulation are 11, and it says "Emulation is consistent".  Also, I already had checked the "Hide script error notification" box.  Nevertheless, when using Pathfinder to show the map in QRZ.com's "Detail" tab, I still get the error that I reported.

Pathfinder uses the Microsoft-provided web browser.  Why then do I get the error if I display the map using Pathfinder, but I don't get the error if I display the same map using Edge instead of Pathfinder?

By the way, I also changed my default browser from Chrome to Edge to see if that has any effect on this issue, but it does not.

Thanks.

Steve, N5EP

Thanks for the reply, Dave.  I had already consulted the instructions in https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventingScriptingErrors prior to my posting.  The Config window for Pathfinder indicates that both the Version and the Emulation are 11, and it says "Emulation is consistent".  Also, I already had checked the "Hide script error notification" box.  Nevertheless, when using Pathfinder to show the map in QRZ.com's "Detail" tab, I still get the error that I reported.

+ What's a callsign whose QRZ map Pathfinder cannot display?

Steve, N5EP

I need to clarify the problem:  I did not report that the map is not displayed.  I reported that an error message is displayed.  The map is displayed, but an error message also appears, covering perhaps the top inch of the map.  It is not callsign-specific.  This happens for ANY callsign when the "Show map" button in the Detail tab is clicked.  I'm sorry that was unclear.

The error message includes a "Learn more" link to the following page:
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/error-messages#unsupported-browsers
where it tells developers to make sure that their browser is currently supported by the "Maps JavaScript API".  It says that if using Internet Explorer, upgrade to the latest IE version (which does not apply in my case since it is the latest version).  It also indicates a problem if you are using "a native Windows application that runs in a webview, using an Internet Explorer version that's supported by the Maps JavaScript API".  In such cases, it adds the following:  ". . . it's likely that your browser is reverting to a mode that uses Internet Explorer 7 by default", and it provides two ways to override that default behavior.

I found a definition of "Webview" that says it is an embeddable browser that a native application can use to display web content.  That sounds like what Pathfinder does, so it may be that one of their recommended fixes would resolve the problem.  Is this the case?

Steve, N5EP

Dave AA6YQ

I need to clarify the problem: I did not report that the map is not displayed. I reported that an error message is displayed. The map is displayed, but an error message also appears, covering perhaps the top inch of the map. It is not callsign-specific. This happens for ANY callsign when the "Show map" button in the Detail tab is clicked. I'm sorry that was unclear.

+ Yes, I now see that error message. It says " You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Please consider changing your browser". This message appears when viewing a QRZ map in Pathfinder, or when viewing QRZ map in Internet Explorer version 11. It does not appear when viewing a QRZ map in the Edge web browser.

+ This is a relatively recent change in behavior. Either QRZ recently began using the Google Maps Javascript API to display maps, or the Google Maps Javascript API recently changed its requirements with respect to supported web browsers.

+ Recall that Pathfinder's role is to make it easy to discover the QSL route for a QSO partner; a map showing your QSO partner's location is not required to successfully send him or her a QSL card requesting a confirmation. While it is unfortunate that an error now message appears along the top of the QRZ.com map display by Pathfinder, it doesn't interfere with Pathfinder's documented functionality -- and there is nothing I can do about it.

Steve, N5EP

I've read that Microsoft intends not to include Internet Explorer from Windows 11.  Is that going to be a problem for Pathfinder?

Steve, N5EP

I've read that Microsoft intends not to include Internet Explorer from Windows 11.  Is that going to be a problem for Pathfinder?

+ Pathfinder works correctly on my Windows 10 test system, which does not have Internet Explorer version 11 installed. Several ops have installed Windows 11 and reported no problems with DXLab functionality.

+ I was able to create Pathfinder back in 2001 because Microsoft introduced a Web Browser Control that mades it possible to embed HTML rendering and querying in an application without developing a web browser from scratch. I expect them to continue supporting this Control or (worst case) replace it with a new Control.

+ In the 20 years since then, LoTW and Club Log have put a big dent in the need to request confirmations by sending QSL cards through postal mail.

Steve, N5EP

Just a note about your final point.  My primary "use case" for Pathfinder is not to obtain info relating to QSL'ing.  Instead, I find it extremely helpful that as soon as I enter a new callsign into the Call field on  DXKeeper's Log QSOs tab, Pathfinder automatically displays that station's QRZ.com Biography information, which helps facilitate ragchews by providing possible topics for conversation.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people find feature that helpful.

Thanks again, Dave, for your great software, and for all the labor that goes into it!

Steve, N5EP

Just a note about your final point.  My primary "use case" for Pathfinder is not to obtain info relating to QSL'ing.  Instead, I find it extremely helpful that as soon as I enter a new callsign into the Call field on  DXKeeper's Log QSOs tab, Pathfinder automatically displays that station's QRZ.com Biography information, which helps facilitate ragchews by providing possible topics for conversation.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people find feature that helpful.
+ That's certainly true.