Topics

Pathfinder 3.0

RTrebil640@...

I have just downloaded and installed Pathfinder 3.0 But when I
enter a call sign and press one of the buttons, I just get a page
which says "You are not authorised to view this page"
What have I missed?
Robin gw3zcf

Dave Bernstein <dhb@...>

Pathfinder is subject to the security settings maintained by Internet
Explorer. It sounds like yours are a bit too tight.

To verify this, start Internet Explorer and display
http://www.qrz.com. If you get the "you're not authorized..."
message, then modify security settings as suggested in the next
paragraph. If qrz.com works fine, then my hypothesis is incorrect.

To change security settings from within Internet Explorer, click on
its Tools menu, and select the "Internet Security" tab. You can use
http://www.qrz.com as a test case -- if you've sufficiently loosened
security to the point where Internet Explorer will display this page,
then then Pathfinder should be able to display QSL information pages.

Let me know how it goes...

--- In dxlab@y..., RTrebil640@a... wrote:
I have just downloaded and installed Pathfinder 3.0 But when I
enter a call sign and press one of the buttons, I just get a page
which says "You are not authorised to view this page"
What have I missed?
Robin gw3zcf

RTrebil640@...

Can't be that Dave. I access qrz.com almost every day by typing the
URL into my web browser, with no problems. It is only when I try to
access it with Pathfinder that I get the message "You are not
authorised to view this page" But for the record, I did change the
security settings, with no effect
Robin gw3zcf

--- In dxlab@y..., "Dave Bernstein" <dhb@m...> wrote:
[...]

Richard B Drake

I find that I can bring up QRZ.com OK but it does not put the
callsign that I have entered into the search window and find it. I
have to type it in again and do the search from there. The same
thing happens with BUCK.COM, WM7D works fine. DXC R gives me a 404
Object not found error, DXS gives me an Internal Server Error, DXM
gives me a 404 error. When I type in my own callsign in the
Pathfinder window, the pop up site that comes up is Deja (very
strange for a W3 call) clicking on Deja gives me a 400 Bad Request
error.

73 - Rich - W3ZJ

[...]

When you install Pathfinder 3.0, the included search library is
obsolete. Step 7 of the download/installation instructions (
http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/DownloadInstall.htm ) suggests that you
immediately upgrade your search library. The problems you and Robin
cite, now that I recall the search changes since Pathfinder 3.0 was
released, are almost certainly due obsolete searche files.

To update your search files, follow the instructions at
http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/UpdateSearchLibrary.htm . After
performing this download, you must update the searches associated
with buttons, e.g. QRZ and DXS. This procedure is described in
http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/AssignSearchButton.htm .

I acknowledge that this process could be more automated -- the
original Pathfinder design assumed that users would update searches
themselves, and directly exchange the files, rather than rely on a
centralized repository that a few people maintain. I do plan a major
Pathfinder update that will make search library updating a completely
automatic process.

--- In dxlab@y..., "Richard B Drake" <rich@w...> wrote:
[...]

Alternatively, you can avoid all of this by using the Pathfinder Web
Client -- this is a web-based version of Pathfinder that require no
downloading, installation, or search library updates. Its a little
less flexible, in that you have no control of which searches are on
buttons, but updates are automatic.

Give it a try at http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/WebClient/

[...]

I had downloaded the search library before but again it was a
matter of not reading "all" the directions. I assumed that all I
had to do was download and unzip the library. Now that I have read
more as you pointed out and tried it, things are working much
better.

73, Rich - W3ZJ

[...]

Thanks Dave....I think the Web Client is the answer for me...I have
bookmarked it!
[...]

Dave, AA6YQ <dhb@...>

A wise choice, Robin. If its any consolation, your travails have advanced
Pathfinder 4.0 on my to-do list.

Thanks Dave....I think the Web Client is the answer for me...I have
bookmarked it!
Robin gw3zcf

--- In dxlab@y..., "Dave Bernstein" <dhb@m...> wrote:
> Alternatively, you can avoid all of this by using the Pathfinder
Web
> Client -- this is a web-based version of Pathfinder that require no
> downloading, installation, or search library updates. Its a little
> less flexible, in that you have no control of which searches are on
> buttons, but updates are automatic.
>
> Give it a try at http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/WebClient/
>
> 73,
>
> Dave, AA6YQ
>

> --- In dxlab@y..., "Dave Bernstein" <dhb@m...> wrote:
> > When you install Pathfinder 3.0, the included search library is
> > obsolete. Step 7 of the download/installation instructions

> > http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/DownloadInstall.htm ) suggests that
> you
> > immediately upgrade your search library. The problems you and
Robin
> > cite, now that I recall the search changes since Pathfinder 3.0
was
> > released, are almost certainly due obsolete searche files.
> >
> > To update your search files, follow the instructions at
> > http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/UpdateSearchLibrary.htm . After
> > performing this download, you must update the searches associated
> > with buttons, e.g. QRZ and DXS. This procedure is described in
> > http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/AssignSearchButton.htm .
> >
> > I acknowledge that this process could be more automated -- the
> > original Pathfinder design assumed that users would update
searches
> > themselves, and directly exchange the files, rather than rely on
> > centralized repository that a few people maintain. I do plan a
> major
> > Pathfinder update that will make search library updating a
> completely
> > automatic process.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Dave, AA6YQ
> > --- In dxlab@y..., "Richard B Drake" <rich@w...> wrote:
> > > I find that I can bring up QRZ.com OK but it does not put the
> > > callsign that I have entered into the search window and find
it. I
> > > have to type it in again and do the search from there. The same
> > > thing happens with BUCK.COM, WM7D works fine. DXC R gives me a
404
> > > Object not found error, DXS gives me an Internal Server Error,
DXM
> > > gives me a 404 error. When I type in my own callsign in the
> > > Pathfinder window, the pop up site that comes up is Deja (very
> > > strange for a W3 call) clicking on Deja gives me a 400 Bad
Request
> > > error.
> > >
> > > 73 - Rich - W3ZJ

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor