From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of ekuebert
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2019 07:33
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Pacemaker

1.      Does anyone have any information regarding use of a Pacemaker near a 1.5 KW ham station. Unfortunately it looks like I am headed in that direction.

THANKS.

--
Ed, K5EK

Kent Olsen

Ed
Sorry to hear about your heart problems!

Here is what I found. I think you are good to go with ham radio and a pacemaker.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 7:32 AM ekuebert <k5ek@...> wrote:

1.      Does anyone have any information regarding use of a Pacemaker near a 1.5 KW ham station. Unfortunately it looks like I am headed in that direction.

THANKS.

--
Ed, K5EK

w3qt_mike

Ed,

When I had mine implanted I asked the cardiologist in the hospital about this issue.  They checked with Medtronic and received the “all’s clear” with their device.  I’ve been operating since 2009 with mine with no ill effects, although the most power I run is 500 watts.

73,

Mike, W3QT

1.      Does anyone have any information regarding use of a Pacemaker near a 1.5 KW ham station. Unfortunately it looks like I am headed in that direction.

THANKS.

--
Ed, K5EK

Gilbert Baron W0MN

I would hope so. For many people they are going to at some time approach RF fields hugely greater than that generated my an amateur radio station.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226N 92.51265 W en34rb

When I had mine implanted I asked the cardiologist in the hospital about this issue.  They checked with Medtronic and received the “all’s clear” with their device.  I’ve been operating since 2009 with mine with no ill effects, although the most power I run is 500 watts.

73,

Mike, W3QT

1.      Does anyone have any information regarding use of a Pacemaker near a 1.5 KW ham station. Unfortunately it looks like I am headed in that direction.

THANKS.

--
Ed, K5EK

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Dave AA6YQ

One of my extracurricular activities is wireless electronic voting for New England Town Meetings, where participants use a wireless device to convey their vote instead of shouting "yes" or "no" as was done for the preceding ~300 years. The devices we selected operate in the 2.5 GHz WiFi band, with an RF power output of 4 mw. A citizen of our town who holds a first class FCC commercial license objected that ~1000 of these handsets in one large room could interfere with his implanted Medtronic pacemaker. So I and members of my team contacted every major pacemaker manufactures to understand the their susceptibility to QRM; every one of them was aware of the issue, and reported addressing this possibility in both their design and testing.

Don Inbody AD0K

No issues. I wear a Pacemaker. It might be a problem if you were hanging on the antenna while transmitting, but with the antenna at any kind of distance it is not an issue. Stay away from strong magnetic fields and don't carry your cell phone in your left breast pocket.

Otherwise, good DXing.

73, Don AD0K

Joe Subich, W4TV

Contact Dr. James Hall, WB4YDL <heartdoc@...>.
Jamie is a cardiologist and active contester. I'm sure
he keeps up with the issues of RFI and pacemakers/ICDs/etc. -
I've seen him write on the subject in other forums.

On 2019-09-21 10:32 AM, ekuebert wrote:
1. D oes anyone have any information regarding use of a Pacemaker near a 1.5 KW ham station. Unfortunately it looks like I am headed in that direction.
THANKS.
--
Ed, K5EK

David Gow

The QST article is from 1994 and things are even better now. I have run 1200 watts to a ground mounted SteppIr vertical for the past 6 years with a pacemaker and no problems. .  I called Medtronic 6 years ago and hey said at 1500 watts to  keep at least 20 feet from  the antenna and it would be fine. I have no foil backed insulation in the shack wood/sheetrock wall so no shielding either.  During that period I earned DXCC, WAS and WAC so lots of RF in the air.
Dave, W7VM