Topics

Outgoing Spot Problem

Wayne Willenberg

Hello, I am having an intermittent problem generating an outgoing spot.

After the Outgoing Spot on SpotCollector is populated with the call I just worked and the frequency of the call, I click on the Cluster button.  After a few moments, usually, the call sign I just spotted appears on my SpotCollector as an incoming spot.  However, between 25-35 percent of the time, the call sign I just spotted does not appear in Spotcollector.  It just disappears.

I have rebooted my computer, but that didn't help.  I have also chosen different Packet Clusters by clicking on the appropriate "Spot" button; that didn't help.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne, KK6BT

Hello, I am having an intermittent problem generating an outgoing spot.

After the Outgoing Spot on SpotCollector is populated with the call I just worked and the frequency of the call, I click on the Cluster button. After a few moments, usually, the call sign I just spotted appears on my SpotCollector as an incoming spot. However, between 25-35 percent of the time, the call sign I just spotted does not appear in Spotcollector. It just disappears.

+ That likely means that the newly-created entry is being hidden by your Spot Database Display filter. To see if this is the case, remove all filtering by depressing the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel panel's X button; does an entry for the station your spotted now appear?

Wayne Willenberg

Thanks, Dave. Removing my Filters made a hidden spot reappear.

But, that leaves me with a dilemma.  The only Filters I use are Band and Mode.  I have reread the directions for SpotDatabaseFilter, and Band and Mode seem to be the correct filters for my preferred form of operation.  The spots that disappear meet the Band and Mode criteria.  Since I only operate on one of the Bands I have selected and only in the one Mode I have selected, it doesn't seem the 25-35 percent of my spots should be hidden.  What am I missing?

Thanks, Wayne KK6BT

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Removing all filtering from the Spot Database Display should have caused all Spot Database Entries created from your outgoing spots to become visible -- so long as they haven't been pruned to maintain the Spot Database size limit that you've specified.

+ In the "Size Control" panel on SpotCollector's Configuration window's "Spot Database" tab, to what is the "Prune entries older than this age" box set?

Wayne Willenberg

Hi Dave,

The Prune entries older than this age (days) is set to "1"

73,  Wayne

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:25 PM Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@...> wrote:

Thanks, Dave. Removing my Filters made a hidden spot reappear.

But, that leaves me with a dilemma. The only Filters I use are Band and Mode. I have reread the directions for SpotDatabaseFilter, and Band and Mode seem to be the correct filters for my preferred form of operation. The spots that disappear meet the Band and Mode criteria. Since I only operate on one of the Bands I have selected and only in the one Mode I have selected, it doesn't seem the 25-35 percent of my spots should be hidden. What am I missing?
When the problem occurs, what does the caption of the Filter panel
show? It should be something like "Filter: Band and Mode".

73,

~iain / N6ML

[...]

+ So any Spot Database Entries older than 24 hours that were created by your outgoing spots will no longer be present.

Wayne Willenberg

Hi Iain,

Yes, that's exactly what it says "Filter: Band and Mode"

Thanks, Wayne

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 5:18 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 1:25 PM Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@...> wrote:

> Thanks, Dave. Removing my Filters made a hidden spot reappear.
>
> But, that leaves me with a dilemma.  The only Filters I use are Band and Mode.  I have reread the directions for SpotDatabaseFilter, and Band and Mode seem to be the correct filters for my preferred form of operation.  The spots that disappear meet the Band and Mode criteria.  Since I only operate on one of the Bands I have selected and only in the one Mode I have selected, it doesn't seem the 25-35 percent of my spots should be hidden.  What am I missing?

When the problem occurs, what does the caption of the Filter panel
show? It should be something like "Filter: Band and Mode".

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

> On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> Hello, I am having an intermittent problem generating an outgoing spot.
>>
>> After the Outgoing Spot on SpotCollector is populated with the call I just worked and the frequency of the call, I click on the Cluster button.  After a few moments, usually, the call sign I just spotted appears on my SpotCollector as an incoming spot.  However, between 25-35 percent of the time, the call sign I just spotted does not appear in Spotcollector.  It just disappears.
>>
>> + That likely means that the newly-created entry is being hidden by your Spot Database Display filter. To see if this is the case, remove all filtering by depressing the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel panel's X button; does an entry for the station your spotted now appear?
>>
>>           73,
>>
>>                   Dave, AA6YQ

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 3:01 PM Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@...> wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what it says "Filter: Band and Mode"
So this suggests that either your Band filter or your Mode filter is
not including the spot database entries that resulted from your spots.
Did you confirm that the band and mode were as expected when you were
able to see those database entries with filtering removed?

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 5:18 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

[...]

+ That means some of your Spot Database Entries are being hidden. Depress the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel's X button, and all filtering will be eliminated.

Wayne Willenberg

Dave,

I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong.  The only filters I have turned on are Band and Mode.  My allowed bands on the Band Filter includes 20M.  The only Mode filter is set to SSB.  25-35 percent of the time, when I enter a 20M SSB contact in Outgoing Spot, and then click Cluster, the spot does not appear in my list of incoming entries in SpotCollector.  But, when I depress Ctrl and the X next to the Filter, the spot I entered appears.

Thanks again for your help.

73, Wayne KK6BT

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes, that's exactly what it says "Filter: Band and Mode"

+ That means some of your Spot Database Entries are being hidden. Depress the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel's X button, and all filtering will be eliminated.

I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong. The only filters I have turned on are Band and Mode. My allowed bands on the Band Filter includes 20M. The only Mode filter is set to SSB. 25-35 percent of the time, when I enter a 20M SSB contact in Outgoing Spot, and then click Cluster, the spot does not appear in my list of incoming entries in SpotCollector. But, when I depress Ctrl and the X next to the Filter, the spot I entered appears.

+ In the upper-right corner of SpotCollector's "Band Filter" window, is the "Enable Start/End & Max Origin DX Filtering" box checked?

Wayne Willenberg

Dave, no, it is not checked

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:34 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong.  The only filters I have turned on are Band and Mode.  My allowed bands on the Band Filter includes 20M.  The only Mode filter is set to SSB.  25-35 percent of the time, when I enter a 20M SSB contact in Outgoing Spot, and then click Cluster, the spot does not appear in my list of incoming entries in SpotCollector.  But, when I depress Ctrl and the X next to the Filter, the spot I entered appears.

+ In the upper-right corner of SpotCollector's "Band Filter" window, is the "Enable Start/End & Max Origin DX Filtering" box checked?

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Another thing you could try:

In the text-box in the Filter panel, type:

<MODEFILTER>

Then type Control-S. Do you see the "missing" spot database entries now or not?

Repeat the test, but with <BANDFILTER> instead.

That should tell you which filter is causing the problem.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:54 AM Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@...> wrote:

[...]

The <MODEFILTER> makes no difference, but the <BANDFILTER> makes the spot appear.

Thanks, Wayne

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 3:51 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
Another thing you could try:

In the text-box in the Filter panel, type:

<MODEFILTER>

Then type Control-S. Do you see the "missing" spot database entries now or not?

Repeat the test, but with <BANDFILTER> instead.

That should tell you which filter is causing the problem.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:54 AM Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@...> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong.  The only filters I have turned on are Band and Mode.  My allowed bands on the Band Filter includes 20M.  The only Mode filter is set to SSB.  25-35 percent of the time, when I enter a 20M SSB contact in Outgoing Spot, and then click Cluster, the spot does not appear in my list of incoming entries in SpotCollector.  But, when I depress Ctrl and the X next to the Filter, the spot I entered appears.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> 73, Wayne KK6BT
>
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly what it says "Filter: Band and Mode"
>>
>> + That means some of your Spot Database Entries are being hidden. Depress the CTRL key while clicking the Filter panel's X button, and all filtering will be eliminated.
>>
>>        73,
>>
>>               Dave, AA6YQ

The <MODEFILTER> makes no difference, but the <BANDFILTER> makes the spot appear.

+ That means your Mode filter is responsible for hiding the Spot Database Entry created by your outgoing spot. In the "Mode Filter" window, which boxes are unchecked (or checked, which ever list is shorter)?

+ Iain N6ML: great diagnostic suggestion!

Wayne Willenberg

The only box checked is SSB (the same mode as my "disappearing" spots.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 4:50 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

The <MODEFILTER> makes no difference, but the <BANDFILTER> makes the spot appear.

+ That means your Mode filter is responsible for hiding the Spot Database Entry created by your outgoing spot. In the "Mode Filter" window, which boxes are unchecked (or checked, which ever list is shorter)?

+ Iain N6ML: great diagnostic suggestion!

* more AA6YQ comments below AA6YQ comments below

The only box checked is SSB (the same mode as my "disappearing" spots.

* OK. The next time you have a Spot Database Entry that should appear in the Spot Database Display but doesn't, open the "Mode Filter" window and begin checking boxes one at a time until hidden Spot Database Entry appears. Start with the ? checkbox.

* Which checkbox is responsible for hiding the Entry?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 4:50 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

The <MODEFILTER> makes no difference, but the <BANDFILTER> makes the spot appear.

+ That means your Mode filter is responsible for hiding the Spot Database Entry created by your outgoing spot. In the "Mode Filter" window, which boxes are unchecked (or checked, which ever list is shorter)?

+ Iain N6ML: great diagnostic suggestion!

Wayne Willenberg

When I click on "CW" on the Mode Filter, the entry appears.  Freq=7.131

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 5:30 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
* more AA6YQ comments below AA6YQ comments below

The only box checked is SSB (the same mode as my "disappearing" spots.

* OK. The next time you have a Spot Database Entry that should appear in the Spot Database Display but doesn't, open the "Mode Filter" window and begin checking boxes one at a time until hidden Spot Database Entry appears. Start with the ? checkbox.

* Which checkbox is responsible for hiding the Entry?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 4:50 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

        + AA6YQ comments below

        The <MODEFILTER> makes no difference, but the <BANDFILTER> makes the spot appear.

        + That means your Mode filter is responsible for hiding the Spot Database Entry created by your outgoing spot. In the "Mode Filter" window, which boxes are unchecked (or checked, which ever list is shorter)?

        + Iain N6ML: great diagnostic suggestion!

# more AA6YQ comments below

When I click on "CW" on the Mode Filter, the entry appears. Freq=7.131

# If a spot's notes don't specify a mode, then SpotCollector determines the spot's mode by consulting the "Sub-band Definition" file you've specified at the bottom of SpotCollector's Configuration window's General tab. This file defines a set of sub-bands, and the default operating mode for each. You can edit this file if you wish; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Sub-band%20Definition%20panel>

# Assuming that 7.131 means 7131 kHz, what mode is specified for the sub-band that includes 7131 kHz in the sub-band definition file you've specified?