OT: New monitor

Chuck, WS1L

It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Ted Bauer

Hi Chuck,

I did something similar about a year ago: I replaced 2 24 inch monitors with a Samsung 43 inch curved monitor. Be aware that newer monitors may have different interfaces than the older ones. That necessitated me to upgrade one of my computers to support the higher resolution of the wide screen monitor. I also had to upgrade/replace the KVM switch that only did DVI.
It was worth doing it all because now everything is on one monitor with plenty of real estate for both DXLabs and N1MM windows. I could have probably done almost as well with a 34 inch monitor.

73
---
Ted   WA3AER

--
---
Ted   WA3AER

Jon Gefaell

You can see photos of my station and a screenshot of my desktop(s) at https://www.qrz.com/db/K6OJ

I first used an LG 34" 21:9 ultrawide for DXLab in 2005. I currently use a 21:9 (3440x1440) display along with a 4K 16:9 and a 2K 16:9 in portrait orientation for my shack station. All three displays show programs that interact with each other. The center (4K) display is in the middle and has all the DX Lab components other than WW. The portrait display is on the right and shows WSJT-X and JTAlert screens. The left side display is ultrawide and displays the LP-700, HF-Auto, GridTracker, Google Earth, and DXAtlas. I also run HDSDR on the ultrawide because ... panadapter! ;)

There is another workstation composed of a 16" MBP surrounded by two ultrawide displays on the other side of the desk. That hosts my work in open source cloud and mobile development.

I'd like to get a 5K ultrawide someday. but I'm saving my Shekels for the MercuryIII amplifier ;)

Buck

You get more screen area with two monitors.  The 4K monitors are noticeably clearer at 24 inches.  Don't know about 21.

Go big or go home

Buck, K4IA
DXCC Honor Roll
8BDXCC
Author EasyWayHamBooks.com
On 6/28/2022 1:03 PM, Chuck, WS1L wrote:

It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Four 24's are even better or perhaps two 32"...
<smiling>

Jose - N4BAA

You get more screen area with two monitors.  The 4K monitors are noticeably clearer at 24 inches.  Don't know about 21.
Go big or go home
Buck, K4IA
DXCC Honor Roll
8BDXCC
Author EasyWayHamBooks.com
On 6/28/2022 1:03 PM, Chuck, WS1L wrote:
It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Jon Gefaell

You can never have enough displays. Ever.

I work with young whippersnappers who absolutely live and die for their 13" MacBookPro Tardis, but I yearn for the wide-open spaces that let my mind roam free. ;) Then again, I don't leave the house much either at this age and in this era.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM, Jose - N4BAA wrote:

Four 24's are even better or perhaps two 32"...
<smiling>

w6de

Take a look at this about selecting monitors.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MonitorsForOldEyes

I use a 34” Curved Acer Monitor 3440 X 1440.  Check the interface on both your new monitor choices and against what you have on your computer.

73,

Dave, w6de

It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Jackson McNees

Chuck,

Had two 21” monitors myself and one of my 19” monitors went bad on the office computer.  Moved the 21” to the office and instead of the expensive monitor got a 43” Hi-def TV.  Now have the equivalent of four 21” monitors.  Of course, had to upgrade the video card for the higher resolution.  Plenty of real estate now.

73 de Jack, K4IJQ

It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Depending on your environment, one 43" monitor is a single point of failure.
Having more than one doesn't completely shut you down. Not sure I could properly support a one 40" monitor and stay grounded 'ergonomically'. Ideally, one should be looking slightly downward at the monitor and never 'up'...

Jose N4BAA

Had two 21” monitors myself and one of my 19” monitors went bad on the office computer.  Moved the 21” to the office and instead of the expensive monitor got a 43” Hi-def TV.  Now have the equivalent of four 21” monitors.  Of course, had to upgrade the video card for the higher resolution.  Plenty of real estate now.

73 de Jack, K4IJQ

It's getting time to replace my dual 21" monitors with something new.  Amazon has a nice price on the Samsung 34-inch SJ55W ultrawide monitor, at 3440x1440.

Has anyone used this for DXLabs?  I'd like to upgrade my two current 1660x900 displays with one larger one.

I know others here have done this recently, and might have good suggestions.

73 de Chuck, WS1L

Bill Mader

I concur with using multiple monitors rather than one "giant" monitor.  Why?  Doing so provides both flexibility and redundancy.  If one monitor fails during a contest or chasing a rare DX station, I can give up the 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 of the screen space and either delete that window or move it.  If the one giant monitor/TV dies, I would be temporarily disabled until I find/install a replacement.  There are other reasons why biggest is not always best even though it is impressive.

BTW, my primary monitor is directly in front of the keyboard where I can raise or lower each for best long-term comfort.  All my monitors are on arms with which I can place them as needed.  Some also hide gear which rarely requires my attention.  But, I can move the appropriate monitor to access something like a power supply.  This is more efficient use of space.

Those who have primary monitors (ones accessed frequently and/or used for typing (I rarely look at the keyboard) configured above their gear don't seriously consider ergonomics.  Try operating with that configuration for 24 hours!

73, Bill, K8TE

Jim N7US

I have progressive computer glasses with the top half working up to 5 or 6’.  My monitors are suspended from an Ergotron double, swing-arm mount above my equipment which, itself, is about 5” above my desk.  Works well for me. Have a

Jim N7US