Topics

One log - two PCs

Knut Meland

At club station we have two radios and two PCs.

So far we used to log into one file, located in a sky.

Problem is that we can just use one PC at a time.
Now we plan a DXLab setup and search a smart way to solve this. 
I have been looking in the wiki, but no success.
Maybe someone have done this?
73 de Knut LA9RY 

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 02:17 AM, Knut Meland wrote:

+ Use separate local log files that are identical at the beginning of each day (or operating session). As the end of the day (or operating session), export the new QSOs from computer B's log file to an ADIF file, and import that ADIF file into computer A's log; then replace computer B's log file with the log file from computer A.

Dave, AA6YQ

Knut Meland

That would work technically.
But would it work on a station with many operators of varied computer competance? I am afraid not.

Most of the time there is just one PC in use. Then our old procedure would work fine. But sometimes a second operator drops in. Then your plan will be a necessity. If I come to the club to make a few QSOs I have to start up the other computer before I leave, export the right number of QSOs, import and replace logs. It might be easier to do than to explain, but I must say:

I am looking for a plan B.

73 de Knut LA9RY

Den 30.07.2020 14.33, skrev Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 02:17 AM, Knut Meland wrote:

+ Use separate local log files that are identical at the beginning of each day (or operating session). As the end of the day (or operating session), export the new QSOs from computer B's log file to an ADIF file, and import that ADIF file into computer A's log; then replace computer B's log file with the log file from computer A.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

But would it work on a station with many operators of varied computer competance? I am afraid not.

Most of the time there is just one PC in use. Then our old procedure would work fine. But sometimes a second operator drops in. Then your plan will be a necessity. If I come to the club to make a few QSOs I have to start up the other computer before I leave, export the right number of QSOs, import and replace logs. It might be easier to do than to explain, but I must say:

+ DXLab was developed with the primary objective of supporting individual DXers, and the secondary objective of supporting individual operators. Support for teams or groups of operators is not an objective, and is unlikely to ever become an objective.

+ In software development, it is axiomatic that attempting to please everyone results in pleasing no one.

Dave, AA6YQ

Knut Meland

Good words, Dave. Then we have DXLab for housekeeping and daily use and N1MM for contests. I hope the software for daily use with two computers/two operators won't be missed too much. So far we made it with DXBase and a logfile in the cloud. We will try something like that with DXLab.

73 de Knut LA9RY

Den 30.07.2020 18.15, skrev Dave AA6YQ:

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ DXLab was developed with the primary objective of supporting individual DXers, and the secondary objective of supporting individual operators. Support for teams or groups of operators is not an objective, and is unlikely to ever become an objective.

+ In software development, it is axiomatic that attempting to please everyone results in pleasing no one.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM, Knut Meland wrote:

Good words, Dave. Then we have DXLab for housekeeping and daily use and N1MM for contests. I hope the software for daily use with two computers/two operators won't be missed too much. So far we made it with DXBase and a logfile in the cloud. We will try something like that with DXLab.

+ There is no reliable way to have more than one instance of DXKeeper open the same log file at the same time. Please do not attempt this.

Dave, AA6YQ

Gordon LaPoint

I use DXLabs on multiple computers with one log stored in a cloud file.  You MUST NOT run the DXlabs on more that one location at a time.  If I find that I want to use both of my operating positions at the same time I use one with DXLabs and the other with either N1MM or WriteLog, using their DX log, not contest log.
I then export the N1MM or WriteLog contacts to an adif file and import to the DXKeeper data base.  This works great, as long as you don't have two copies of DXLabs running at the same time.

I have each computer save a backup (automatic once setup) on each use, so it is recoverable if I mess up. This is probably the most important part!
 I have a remote radio and can run my base station as a remote so I can operate from anywhere I have internet access so keeping the log straight is an interesting experiment in making sure I log the correct "MyQTH" and LOTW location, not where I'm operating from but which radio I'm using.
Usually that is automatic with Commander set up correctly, especially when operating remotely.

Yes, I do sometimes mess up the log, that is why the backups are so important! And ALWAYS make a backup just before importing an adif file.  There are so many ways to mess up with an import, wrong location, wrong radio, wrong power, and others.
Very happy user of DXLabs software for many years, with over 100,000 qso's in the log.
Gordon - N1MGO

On 7/31/2020 4:32 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM, Knut Meland wrote:

+ There is no reliable way to have more than one instance of DXKeeper open the same log file at the same time. Please do not attempt this.

Dave, AA6YQ