Topics

Off Topic Windows 10 Build 2004

Bob Main

Notice the other day that build 2004 is available and was wondering if anybody has installed it and what kind of smoke did it produce.  I did go to groups.io and did a search for it and got no hits.  Then I have learned you have to use the exact wording the search program wants or you won’t ever find it.

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

Peter Laws / N5UWY

I've got it on my Radio PC and so far it's OK. Thing is, I usually
have my W10 instance set to "let me say when to install updates" and
this got installed ... but ... I don't remember giving it the
Okie-doke.

Regardless, no issues so far. I have LOTS of USB devices including
sound devices, a camera (for work and club Zooms) and as of yesterday,
a 2nd display plugged into the USB-C/DP2 port.

So far so good.

YMMV, of course.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:02 PM Bob Main <bobmain1@...> wrote:

Notice the other day that build 2004 is available and was wondering if anybody has installed it and what kind of smoke did it produce. I did go to groups.io and did a search for it and got no hits. Then I have learned you have to use the exact wording the search program wants or you won’t ever find it.

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Bob Main

Thanks Peter, I've noticed the build had been "mentioned" in the updates window for a while and then noticed a couple days ago that it now has "download and install" so figured it had been available long and was wondering how it was affecting people. I waiting until the last moment to go from 7 to 10, but been happy with it so far. Heck it even got the Bluetooth on my motherboard working again and it hasn't worked in years. I "killed" it on a driver update and was never able to get it back, until now.

Thanks again,
73, Bob KB4CL

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Laws / N5UWY
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 8:13 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Off Topic Windows 10 Build 2004

Okie-doke.

So far so good.

YMMV, of course.

Notice the other day that build 2004 is available and was wondering if anybody has installed it and what kind of smoke did it produce. I did go to groups.io and did a search for it and got no hits. Then I have learned you have to use the exact wording the search program wants or you won’t ever find it.

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Buck

*Every* time there is a Win10 update, the window for my LP rotor control disappears off the screen and I have to figure out how to recover it.

That is better than earlier updates which used to scramble port and audio card assignments.

Buck, k4ia
Honor Roll
8BDXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 7/21/2020 9:13 PM, Bob Main wrote:
Thanks Peter, I've noticed the build had been "mentioned" in the updates window for a while and then noticed a couple days ago that it now has "download and install" so figured it had been available long and was wondering how it was affecting people. I waiting until the last moment to go from 7 to 10, but been happy with it so far. Heck it even got the Bluetooth on my motherboard working again and it hasn't worked in years. I "killed" it on a driver update and was never able to get it back, until now.
Thanks again,
73, Bob KB4CL
-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Laws / N5UWY
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 8:13 PM
Okie-doke.
So far so good.
YMMV, of course.

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

Dave Corio

Did the 2004 a few weeks ago with my new (to me) Win 10 computer. Here's briefly what happened.

1. 2004 update installed with no problem and booted up just fine
2. Could not open any apps, except for MS Excel, and only then by clicking on an existing daughter file (.xlxs)
3. Radio COM and audio ports had disappeared (not that I could have used them!)
4. Contacted MS on-line help. Got through to them in less than 2 minutes
5. Within an hour they had "bricked" my PC. Couldn't open any app or program.
6. At the 3-hour mark they couldn't fix it, so the "helper" asked if he could do anything else for me!!

Immediately after that I discovered my backup program had also failed, so ended up doing a 3-day complete rebuild of the hard drive. (Thank goodness for recovery partitions!)

I've heard of upgrades that went seamlessly and some with minor problems that were easily fixed. I seem to be in the minority, which is fine! I don't wish that on anyone! Hopefully yours will be one in the majority!!

Dave - K1DJE

w6de

If you are running Windows-10 PRO you can delay major build updates like Build 2004 for up to a year.  I do this simply because I don’t want to be on the leading edge of Microsoft’s field testing for their big updates.  I figure by waiting as long as possible that Microsoft has by then figured out what they did wrong and will have corrections for those problems in the later update [that I’ll get].

To do this in Win-10 PRO, open Windows update, select Advanced options, In Advanced options down the page under “Chose when updates are installed”  is the option that reads “A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days;” In the box provided select 365 days.

I didn’t find that “Pause updates” for 35 days was worthwhile. Same for “. . . quality updates . . .”  Neither was long enough to make it worthwhile.

But after the 1909 update that really screwed up my computer, I decided to forgo the immediate major upgrades so Microsoft could get their act together.

There really is a reason to pay the extra bucks to get Windows PRO over Windows Home, this is only one of the additional things you can change.  There are also some group policy options you can change under Win PRO that you can’t on Win Home.

Best Regards,

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Main
Sent: 22 July, 2020 00:02
Subject: [DXLab] Off Topic Windows 10 Build 2004

Notice the other day that build 2004 is available and was wondering if anybody has installed it and what kind of smoke did it produce.  I did go to groups.io and did a search for it and got no hits.  Then I have learned you have to use the exact wording the search program wants or you won’t ever find it.

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

Bob Main

Thanks Dave, yes I do have the Pro version and I think 2004 has only been available less than a month, so waiting 6 months or more works with me.

73, Bob KB4CL

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of w6de
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:17 PM

If you are running Windows-10 PRO you can delay major build updates like Build 2004 for up to a year.  I do this simply because I don’t want to be on the leading edge of Microsoft’s field testing for their big updates.  I figure by waiting as long as possible that Microsoft has by then figured out what they did wrong and will have corrections for those problems in the later update [that I’ll get].

To do this in Win-10 PRO, open Windows update, select Advanced options, In Advanced options down the page under “Chose when updates are installed”  is the option that reads “A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days;” In the box provided select 365 days.

I didn’t find that “Pause updates” for 35 days was worthwhile. Same for “. . . quality updates . . .”  Neither was long enough to make it worthwhile.

But after the 1909 update that really screwed up my computer, I decided to forgo the immediate major upgrades so Microsoft could get their act together.

There really is a reason to pay the extra bucks to get Windows PRO over Windows Home, this is only one of the additional things you can change.  There are also some group policy options you can change under Win PRO that you can’t on Win Home.

Best Regards,

Dave, w6de

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

Jacob Derenne

I also use the Pro version with last 2004 update on a desktop and laptop with no issues at all

Jake – W9BLI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:06 PM

Thanks Dave, yes I do have the Pro version and I think 2004 has only been available less than a month, so waiting 6 months or more works with me.

73, Bob KB4CL

To do this in Win-10 PRO, open Windows update, select Advanced options, In Advanced options down the page under “Chose when updates are installed”  is the option that reads “A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days;” In the box provided select 365 days.

Best Regards,

Dave, w6de

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

w6de

That this 2004 update didn’t cause problems is great.  But what the next one—do you know it won’t be without another major screw up like update 1909?

This isn’t a retroactive cure it is a proactive action to prevent the next major update from screwing up your system by not being an early adopter.

My laptop—not used for ham radio—upgraded fine too.  But it doesn’t have accessory cards and a boatload of specialized USB interfaces like my shack dedicated computer does.

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Derenne
Sent: 22 July, 2020 23:30

I also use the Pro version with last 2004 update on a desktop and laptop with no issues at all

Jake – W9BLI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:06 PM

73, Bob KB4CL

Best Regards,

Dave, w6de

Thanks,

73, Bob KB4CL

Martin Meserve

I have had no problems from build 2004. I updated the XYL's laptop and my laptop about 2 weeks ago and didn't have any issues. I then used my laptop to make a bootable USB stick and reinstalled W10 on an older HP Pavilion desktop. The only issue I had was a disk format problem. But I took care of that. All three of the computers are working fine.
--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM

Bernd - KB7AK

I updated two laptops and a 10-year old desktop with no problems (desktop is Pro version, the 2 laptops are Home)