Topics

Odd QRG for TT8SN

Phil Cooper

Hi all,

As we are currently on day one of a 14 day lockdown here in Guernsey, I am spending some time in the shack, and watching the cluster.

I am seeing spots for TT8SN in SC, and some are showing an azimuth of 153 (which I believe to be correct), and some are showing a heading of 190.

DXView shows the heading to be 153 as well, so I am puzzled as to why some spots are showing 190.

The call being spotted is TT8SN, and it is the same call each time, not a typo of those with the wrong QRG.

If I spot the call, it shows 153, yet when EA5DIC spotted it, it showed 190.

Does this imply that some spotters have their own locator incorrectly set?

Just curious!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

As we are currently on day one of a 14 day lockdown here in Guernsey, I am spending some time in the shack, and watching the cluster.

I am seeing spots for TT8SN in SC, and some are showing an azimuth of 153 (which I believe to be correct), and some are showing a heading of 190.

DXView shows the heading to be 153 as well, so I am puzzled as to why some spots are showing 190.

The call being spotted is TT8SN, and it is the same call each time, not a typo of those with the wrong QRG.

If I spot the call, it shows 153, yet when EA5DIC spotted it, it showed 190.

Does this imply that some spotters have their own locator incorrectly set?

+ DXLab's DXCC Database positions TT8SN at 12 6' 29" N, 15 6' 0" E, which is the location of Chad's capital and largest city of N'Djamena. That location corresponds to grid square JK72nc, and yields a short-path heading of 83 degrees from my QTH near Boston.

+ When I direct SpotCollector to list all entries for TT8SN, all but two show an azimuth of 83; the two exceptions show 74.

+ In the first case, an entry for FT8 on 12m, EA7FDR has posted these spot notes:

FT8 F/H JK72MC<>IM76HG

+ SpotCollector interprets the first grid square to be that the spotter, and the second to be that of the DX station. IM76HG is what's producing the erroneous heading of 74.

+ The second erroneous TT8SN entry is for FT8 on 10m. Again, the root cause is a "backwards" grid square report from EA7FDR.

+ Since there is no standard for conveying grid squares in spot notes, extracting location information from spot notes will sometimes yield an incorrect location. You can prevent this by disabling the "Capture location info from notes" option in the General panel on the Configuration window's General tab; SpotCollector will then ignore any grid squares or IOTA tags it finds in spot notes.

Phil Cooper

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the explanation! I don't recall seeing anything like JK72<>IM76 in the spot notes, but I can't be sure. I will see if I can check this later.
But, the explanation helps me to understand how it happened.

73 de Phil GU0SUP