Odd issue when LoTW down

Phil Cooper

Dave and the group,

Over the last few weeks, when LoTW has been down, and I try to sync either QSO's or QSL's, DXKeeper will show a dialogue box that says something like LoTW not responding, and then hang, and show " Not responding" at the top and the whole of DXK goes grey.

If I then click on the ABORT box, Windows asks me if I want to close the program and wait for it to respond. After waiting some 15+ minutes, it is (usually) still in that state, so I close it and reopen it.

Is this just me, or have others noted similar behaviour?

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Jim N7US

I did a couple of hours ago.

Jim N7US
Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
Date: 9/28/22 10:57 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: dxlab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Odd issue when LoTW down

Dave and the group,

Over the last few weeks, when LoTW has been down, and I try to sync either QSO's or QSL's, DXKeeper will show a dialogue box that says something like LoTW not responding, and then hang, and show " Not responding" at the top and the whole of DXK goes grey.

If I then click on the ABORT box, Windows asks me if I want to close the program and wait for it to respond. After waiting some 15+ minutes, it is (usually) still in that state, so I close it and reopen it.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ The mechanism that DXKeeper uses to Sync with LoTW cannot be aborted without terminating DXKeeper. To minimize the need to do that, when you invoke a Sync operation, DXKeeper first pings LoTW to confirm that it is running before initiating the actual Sync operation. That means that terminating DXKeeper should only be necessary if LoTW becomes unavailable after that successful first ping but before the Sync operation has completed - which should be an extremely small probability.

+ The past several LoTW failures evidently occurred because an LoTW server "ran out of resources"; ARRL staff evidently haven't been monitoring this server (eye roll). For this sort of failure, it's possible that the "first ping" was successful, even though the Sync operation could not proceed. I have no way to test this hypothesis.

Dave, AA6YQ

Phil Cooper

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I now understand some of what is going on, but I am a bit puzzled because as soon as I clicked on Sync QSO's today, I saw that it said LoTW wasn't responding, but maybe that was after the initial ping.

However, because this is fairly rare, I can live with it.

Thanks for the support!

73 de Phil GU0SUP

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: 28 September 2022 19:33
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Odd issue when LoTW down

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ The mechanism that DXKeeper uses to Sync with LoTW cannot be aborted without terminating DXKeeper. To minimize the need to do that, when you invoke a Sync operation, DXKeeper first pings LoTW to confirm that it is running before initiating the actual Sync operation. That means that terminating DXKeeper should only be necessary if LoTW becomes unavailable after that successful first ping but before the Sync operation has completed - which should be an extremely small probability.

+ The past several LoTW failures evidently occurred because an LoTW server "ran out of resources"; ARRL staff evidently haven't been monitoring this server (eye roll). For this sort of failure, it's possible that the "first ping" was successful, even though the Sync operation could not proceed. I have no way to test this hypothesis.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks for the reply. I now understand some of what is going on, but I am a bit puzzled because as soon as I clicked on Sync QSO's today, I saw that it said LoTW wasn't responding, but maybe that was after the initial ping.

+ Yes, that was the initial ping reporting that LoTW was not available at the time.

Dave, AA6YQ

Jim McPhee

"The past several LoTW failures evidently occurred because an LoTW server "ran out of resources"; ARRL staff evidently haven't been monitoring this server (eye roll). For this sort of failure, it's possible that the "first ping" was successful, even though the Sync operation could not proceed. I have no way to test this hypothesis."

Dave, I envy your "way with words"!

--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA

Bruce N7XGR

I wonder if they got one of those bargain basement HAL 9000 computer/server.
Remember the last time it was running it started calling out, Dave what are you doing Dave!
I think I am losing my memory!  Singing Daisy Daisy!

Bruce  N7XGR

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 9:40 PM Jim McPhee <jmcphee@...> wrote:
"The past several LoTW failures evidently occurred because an LoTW server "ran out of resources"; ARRL staff evidently haven't been monitoring this server (eye roll). For this sort of failure, it's possible that the "first ping" was successful, even though the Sync operation could not proceed. I have no way to test this hypothesis."

Dave, I envy your "way with words"!

--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA