Topics

NIL and ! notations

Daniel Violette

I have three questions:

  1. If I get a NIL (or get all QSLs except for one QSO say) or in other words I know the contact was busted, what is the best way to mark it?  I assume this is where you put a “!” in front of the call and then it is as if it never happened.

  1. I just cannot get a card for a confirmation but I still think it was a good QSO.  What should I do so that it does not tell me that station was worked in the Progress but do not want to lose the QSO just in case?

  1. How do I search for calls starting with “!”?  Did figure out eventually to sort by callsign and they all show at top.  Better way?  Can I keep the DXCC entity with the call?

I have at times put RST to 0/0 and other times have put “!callsign”.  I noticed that RST 0/0 seems to still count as Worked in the Progress.  And, when I put “!” the contact gets put without a DXCC entity and I can’t find them easily again.  I need to clean up my log some so I can get notified better.

Thanks for the help.

Dan KI6X

1. If I get a NIL (or get all QSLs except for one QSO say) or in other words I know the contact was busted, what is the best
way to mark it? I assume this is where you put a "!" in front of the call and then it is as if it never happened.

+ That's my advice; it preserves the entry in case you later deduce that you logged the wrong callsign.

2. I just cannot get a card for a confirmation but I still think it was a good QSO. What should I do so that it does not tell
me that station was worked in the Progress but do not want to lose the QSO just in case?

+ Set the QSO's "QSL Rcvd", "LoTW Rcvd", and "eQSL Rcvd" items to X. The QSO won't be counted as "worked" toward any award, but
remains in your log.

3. How do I search for calls starting with "!"? Did figure out eventually to sort by callsign and they all show at top.
Better way? Can I keep the DXCC entity with the call?

+ If you type a callsign into the Filter panel textbox at the bottom of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab and then click the Filter
panel's Call button, DXKeeper will filter the Log Page Display to contain all logged QSOs with that callsign, including those QSOs
with the callsign preceded by a !

+ The SQL version of this filter is

CALL LIKE '*AA6YQ'

I have at times put RST to 0/0 and other times have put "!callsign".

+ Put where?

I noticed that RST 0/0 seems to still count as Worked in the Progress.

+ Signal reports are ignored when determining award progress, as no award sponsor requires them.

Daniel Violette

+ AA6YQ comments below
== KI6X Reply

==Thanks again Dave for the quick reply,

I have at times put RST to 0/0 and other times have put "!callsign".

+ Put where?

==I was putting the 0 RST into the RST slots sent/rcvd.  Maybe a hold over from my former logging program which I think did that for "removing" QSOs.

I noticed that RST 0/0 seems to still count as Worked in the Progress.

+ Signal reports are ignored when determining award progress, as no award sponsor requires them.

==Can I put the DXCC info back into a "!" callsign without causing problems.  It removes it when I put the "!".

==Dan KI6X

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-01-23 9:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Set the QSO's "QSL Rcvd", "LoTW Rcvd", and "eQSL Rcvd" items to
X. The QSO won't be counted as "worked" toward any award, but remains in your log.
My preference is to set "QSL Rcvd", "LotW Rcvd", "VUCC vfy", "WAZ vfy"
and/or "WAS vfy" to 'I' (Invalid). That keeps the QSO in the log
but excludes the QSO from RAT and any individual "Progress Reports".

On 2021-01-23 9:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

# more AA6YQ comments below

==Thanks again Dave for the quick reply,

I have at times put RST to 0/0 and other times have put "!callsign".

+ Put where?

==I was putting the 0 RST into the RST slots sent/rcvd. Maybe a hold over from my former logging program which I think did that for "removing" QSOs.

I noticed that RST 0/0 seems to still count as Worked in the Progress.

+ Signal reports are ignored when determining award progress, as no award sponsor requires them.

==Can I put the DXCC info back into a "!" callsign without causing problems. It removes it when I put the "!".

# Inserting a ! at the beginning of a logged QSO's callsign sets that QSO's DXCC country code to 0, meaning "invalid for DXCC awards". Altering this would cause DXLab's realtime award tracking to produce erroneous results.

# AA6YQ comments below

On 2021-01-23 9:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Set the QSO's "QSL Rcvd", "LoTW Rcvd", and "eQSL Rcvd" items to
X. The QSO won't be counted as "worked" toward any award, but remains
in your log.
My preference is to set "QSL Rcvd", "LotW Rcvd", "VUCC vfy", "WAZ vfy"
and/or "WAS vfy" to 'I' (Invalid). That keeps the QSO in the log but excludes the QSO from RAT and any individual "Progress Reports".

# Setting a QSO's "QSL Rcvd", "LoTW Rcvd", and "eQSL Rcvd" items to X excludes the QSO from RAT and all Progress Reports. It has the advantage that if a QSL arrives via card, LoTW, or eQSL, only one of the QSO's items need be updated.

# The use of 'I' should be reserved for QSOs that have been ruled invalid for awards. Note that a QSO might be invalid for DXCC, but still be valid for WAZ.

Joe Subich, W4TV

# The use of 'I' should be reserved for QSOs that have been ruled invalid for awards. Note that a QSO might be invalid for DXCC, but still be valid for WAZ.
That is why I specified setting "WAZ Vfy", "WAS Vfy" and/or "VUCC Vfy"
to 'I' as well as QSL_Rcvd, and LotW_Rcvd. I probably should have
included "IOTA vfy" to be complete.

One can still determine if a QSL/LotW confirmation has been received
by checking QSL_R_DATE and/r LotW_R_Date to know if the confirmation
or card has been rejected by ARRL/CQ or whether the QSO was NIL (no
confirmation received).

Since there is no other way to mark a QSO as NIOSL (not in the OTHER
station's Log), I prefer 'I' to losing the country code/DXCC prefix
and search capability (without resorting to "like '*<callsign>'")
that are the side effects of using '!'.

It is a shame that DXKeeper does not treat QSL_Sent = 'I' as it is
defined in ADIF 3.1.1: "Ignore or Invalid":
<https://adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSLSent_Enumeration>.
In that case one could set "QSL_Sent"/"LotW_Sent" to 'I' to remove
a QSO from the log for consideration by RAT and any progress reports.
Instead, DXKeeper currently treats QSL_Sent/LotW_Sent = 'I' as the
same as QSL_Sent/LotW_Sent = 'N'.

On 2021-01-24 1:12 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
# AA6YQ comments below
On 2021-01-23 9:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
[...]

+ "QSL_Sent" is defined in ADIF as "QSL sent status"; not "status of this QSO".

+ If the intent were for "QSL_Sent" being set to 'I' to mean "ignore this QSO" or "QSO is invalid for all awards", the specification would say so.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Given that "QSL Sent" includes, 'Y' (Yes), 'N' (No), 'Q' (Queued), or
'R' (Requested), the only reason(s) it would be 'I' (Invalid) is if the
QSO were defective for some reason - busted callsign, NIL (NIOSL),
determined to be a "Pirate" after the QSO, station owner/operator has
become silent key/logs no longer available.

ADIF do not enumerate 'X' for QSL_Sent which might cover some of the
reasons given above, so 'I' is a reasonable substitute where QSL Status
is "a QSL for this QSO is unavailable" for one reason or another.

On 2021-01-24 2:14 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

It is a shame that DXKeeper does not treat QSL_Sent = 'I' as it is
defined in ADIF 3.1.1: "Ignore or Invalid":
+ "QSL_Sent" is defined in ADIF as " QSL sent status"; not "status of this QSO".
+ If the intent were for "QSL_Sent" being set to 'I' to mean "ignore this QSO" or "QSO is invalid for all awards", the specification would say so.

Given that "QSL Sent" includes, 'Y' (Yes), 'N' (No), 'Q' (Queued), or
'R' (Requested), the only reason(s) it would be 'I' (Invalid) is if the
QSO were defective for some reason - busted callsign, NIL (NIOSL),
determined to be a "Pirate" after the QSO, station owner/operator has
become silent key/logs no longer available.

+ Either the specification explicitly states that an 'I' in "QSL Sent" means "ignore entire QSO", or it doesn't. I doesn't.

Joe Subich, W4TV

+ Either the specification explicitly states that an 'I' in "QSL Sent" means "ignore entire QSO", or it doesn't. I doesn't.
Given the other defined states, I don't know any other way to interpret
"Ignore/Invalid" for QSL_Sent *except* to ignore the QSO. Ignoring the
QSL status divorced from the underlying QSO is not logical.

However, I can continue to work with QSL_Rcvd, WAS_vfy, WAZ vfy, VUCC
vfy = 'I' even though it is less logical/more involved.