Topics

New user with TS-890S, trouble connecting

Gerry KM1MT

Hi all, So I have a new TS-890S and I'm a new user of DX Labs.  I've installed the launcher and all modules. I have Commander version 14.5.3.  I downloaded the Kenwood virtual port drivers and installed.  I am using a USB cable from computer to the USB-B port.  I followed instructions for Kenwood radios found here http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood.  When I connect the radio to the computer via USB, I do see the two comm ports pop up (Com3 and Com4).  However, when starting DXLabs Commander, I get the error that it cannot open the com port.  "Selected com port failed to open".  I have checked all port power setting to make sure they aren't getting powered down.  I must be missing something simple, but I've had no luck after a few hours of trying.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Gerry KM1MT

Hi all, So I have a new TS-890S and I'm a new user of DX Labs.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Gerry!

I've installed the launcher and all modules. I have Commander version 14.5.3. I downloaded the Kenwood virtual port drivers and installed. I am using a USB cable from computer to the USB-B port. I followed instructions for Kenwood radios found here http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlKenwood. When I connect the radio to the computer via USB, I do see the two comm ports pop up (Com3 and Com4). However, when starting DXLabs Commander, I get the error that it cannot open the com port. "Selected com port failed to open". I have checked all port power setting to make sure they aren't getting powered down. I must be missing something simple, but I've had no luck after a few hours of trying. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

+ No one else with a TS-890S has reported that behavior. In the error message, what words appear after "selected Com port failed to open"?

Dave / NR1DX

Gerry

You have to set the port baud rate in three different places .
1) The TS890 Radio menu
2) DX Labs in the Config area ( in Commander I think not sitting in front of that computer)
3) You didn't say so I will assume your using Windows 10, in device manager under properties  check the baud rate there

Dave
NR1DX

On 3/29/2020 8:04 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Gerry KM1MT

Dave, it is blank after the : at the end of the failed to open message.  There is also no error log file generated yet.

Gerry KM1MT

Hi Dave, I've check all 3 places and they match.  I've tried from 9600 to 115200.  What setting do you use?  And whenever I make a change, I get a popup that says Unable to open COM3, Invalid port number (8002), thePort = primary CAT port, port number = 3, settings = 9600,N,8,2.

Gerry KM1MT

Oh, yes I am running windows 10.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 05:53 PM, Gerry KM1MT wrote:

Dave, it is blank after the : at the end of the failed to open message.  There is also no error log file generated yet.

+ OK. Please do the following:

1. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box
2. terminate Commander
3. start Commander
4. wait 1 minute
5. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box
6. attach the errorlog.txt file from your Commander folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave / NR1DX

Gerry

A few months back I was experimenting with other devices connecting to the radio ( Amplifier and Stepp-IR controller. I have run it at 19,200, 38400 (currently) and 115,2000 all successfully

Have you tried running the Kenwood ARCP-890 radio and connecting to the radio, COM3  that way?
make sure you do not have DX lab running especially the commander module when you do this. If you can talk to ARCP-890 then I am back to suspecting a config problem in DX Commander

Recent WIN-10 updates have had scattered reports of doing wonky things to USB/COM port emulators. If ARCP-890 also doent work then I would uninstall COM3 and the Related USB drivers in WIN 10 device manager  , reboot and then reinstall the USB port . AS I recall their is a KENWOOD device emulator program that needs to be installed first.

Dave
NR1DX

--
Dave
Manuals@...

Steve / W1SMC

Gerry, I'm running a TS-890 with DXLabs without issues.

Are you still having problems?

I also use Commander to swap between my Ten-Tec Orion 2 & ICOM 9700 .... works fine ....

Let me know if your still having issues and I can send you screen shots of my Commander configuration and Device Manager (Port Config data) ...

Steve / W1SMC

Gerry KM1MT

Dave, I'll do the debugging procedure tonight after work.  Thanks!
Steve, yes I'm still having trouble.  The more info the better, so I'd really appreciate the screenshots to compare settings.
Thanks guys!

Gerry KM1MT

Steve / W1SMC

Edited

Gerry,

Please send me an email at w1smc@....

I'll reply with a Word document containing a bunch of screen shots.

The email you can get from my QRZ page ..... it's .....  w1smc at arrl dot net .....

Jim McPhee

Gerry,

Here are the settings currently in use between my Windows 10 computer, Commander, and the TS-890S:

Windows 10
Device Manager
Ports (COM & LPT)
    Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM7)
        Port Settings
            115200, 8, None, 1, None
    Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM8)
        Port Settings
            115200, 8, None, 1, None

Commander
Config
General (tab)
    Radio= Kenwood
Ports (tab)
    Port#= 8 (W5ABA: note that the Silicon Labs Bridge has enabled both COM7 and COM8 in Windows on my computer, and that it is COM8 that is selected here. I think this may be where your issue is. If you have COM3 and COM4 enabled, then you have to enter Port 4 here.)
    Baud=115200
    Word=8
    Parity=none
    Stop=1
    DTR=Off
    RTS=On

TS-890S
Menu
    Group 7-Rear Connectors
    01-Baud Rate (Virtual Standard Com)
        115200 (bps)
    02-Baud Rate (Virtual Enhanced Com)
        115200 (bps)

I tried to go into enough detail so you could compare your settings with mine, without going too far. Let me know if this helps.
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Gerry KM1MT

Thanks for posting this info Jim!  I'll let you all know tonight if I've had success.

Gerry KM1MT

Steve / W1SMC

Edited

Yes, I believe whichever Port is the "Standard" port that it the port you want to point to in Commander to connect to and control the radio ..... NOT the "Enhanced" port .... I used / pointed to the "Enhanced" port when I tried FT-8 on the TS-890 and it worked without issue.

Jim McPhee

Gerry,

Sounds good! I'm betting that port selection in Commander is going to fix it for you.

I think you're going to love both your new TS-890S and the DXLab Suite. I've been using five of the seven apps since I got my TS-590S nine years ago. Now the TS-890S has replaced the 590, which is currently up on eBay. Once you get comfortable with Commander, you may want to investigate the TS-890S specific controls that I posted here at: Files, Command Sequences and Sliders, Kenwood TS890. It is amazing (to me anyway!) how many items on the radio can be controlled through Commander.
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Gerry KM1MT

Jim, yes I think I will be blown away by the integration.  I'm already amazed by the radio.  This is the first time I've bought what I consider a higher end radio; I was questioning the value, but wow am I impressed all around with it.  Very nice!   My last base rig purchase was an FT-847 back when they were new, so I thought it was time.

Jim McPhee

Steve,

Yes, I agree. And there are detailed instructions on page 1-5 of the TS-890S Instruction Manual showing how to determine which of the two ports is the Standard port, and which is the Enhanced.
--
Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM

Gerry KM1MT

Just an update tonight; still no joy.  LOL
I tried the settings everyone showed me here and in email.  I also uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them.  No luck.
I've sent the error log files to Dave as requested.  I'm out of time for tonight (working 12 hour days this week).
Thanks!

Gerry KM1MT

Steve, can you please clarify which port you're suggesting is the correct one to point to?  Standard or enhanced?  I'm confused by reading post 192281.  My COM3 is standard, COM4 is enhanced (as designated by the 1 & 2 in location path).
Thanks!

Steve, can you please clarify which port you're suggesting is the correct one to point to? Standard or enhanced? I'm confused by reading post 192281. My COM3 is standard, COM4 is enhanced (as designated by the 1 & 2 in location path).

+ The TS-890 documentation states that the "standard" port is the one to use for CAT control. Does the Windows "Com3 Properties" window indicate that this port is functional?