Topics

need input re interoperation with WSJT-X

Dave AA6YQ

Thanks to Bill G4WJS, the recently released WSJT-X version 2.1.2 can be directed to populate its "DX Call" and "DX Grid" boxes with
a specified callsign and grid square, to invoke its "Generated Std Msgs" function, and to operate in a specified K1JT mode. I have
extended the next version of Commander to exploit this when you double-click the Spot Database Entry of a station operating in a
K1JT mode: WSJT-X is configured to enable you to quickly begin calling the station after you locate a clear frequency.

If you're running one instance of WSJT-X, then SpotCollector will convey the callsign, grid square, and mode to that instance. If
you're running more than one instance of WSJT-X, the question is , "to which instance should SpotCollector convey this
information?".

For each instance of WSJT-X, SpotCollector keeps track of its most recently reported band and mode. I therefore propose to provide
three options for routing the callsign, grid square, and mode when more than one instance of WSJT-X is running:

1. convey the information to an instance whose last reported band matches the band of the double-clicked Spot Database Entry

2. convey the information to an instance whose last reported mode matches the mode of the double-clicked Spot Database Entry

3. convey the information to an instance whose last reported band matches the band of the double-clicked Spot Database Entry and
whose last reported mode matches the mode of the double-clicked Spot Database Entry

Comments? Better ideas?

In the message below, I meant to say " I have extended the next version of SpotCollector to exploit this..."

[...]

Phil Cooper

Dave and the group,

The proposal is fine with me, but I rarely spot contacts made using any of
the WSJT modes. I find there is usually enough callers to keep the DX busy,
and I do not see any advantage in spotting every contact I make, as many are
not DX, so spots are of little interest to others.
I use JTAlert to log directly to DXKeeper, and this works perfectly for me.

I appreciate this is a rather blinkered view, but as a GU, I get enough of a
pile-up when I operate, and any DX station is usually getting enough
attention anyway.
There are some occasions where a DX station may be calling on an otherwise
empty band, and I might well spot them on that sort of occasion, but it
would be done manually at the time.

Just my thoughts.....

73 de Phil GU0SUP

[...]

+ I implemented the above proposal in the next version of SpotCollector. I only use one instance of WSJT-X, but I jury-rigged a
second in order to test the new functionality. It worked as designed.

+ Then I tried to document it. "If it's difficult to document, it will be difficult to use", some wise man said. It was difficult to
document as implemented.

+ So I scaled back the implementation to something I think WSJT-X users will be able to understand as well as employ. Here's the
description from the updated documentation; it's the last two top-level bullets that have changed since the previous version of
SpotCollector:

With SpotCollector connected to WSJT-X
<file:///C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\SourceConnection.htm#Connecting_to_WSJT-X> and DXKeeper
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/> running, when you double-click on a Spot Database Entry whose mode is a K1JT mode (FT4,
FT8, JT65, JT65A, JT65B, JT65B2, JT65C, JT65C2, or JT9),

* PropView <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/propview/> generates a propagation forecast if both it and DXView
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/> are running, and if the Display prediction on double-click
<file:///C:\Program%20Files\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Request Prop Forecast> box is checked

* If the DX station's Maidenhead gridsquare <> has been determined from spot notes
<file:///C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Use Spotter Grid from Notes> or a
DXCC or USAP Database lookup, Spot Collector sends the gridsquare to DXView <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/>

* DXView <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/> displays information about the DX station's location -- latitude and
longitude, Maidenhead gridsquare, beam heading, distance, local time, CQ zone, and ITU zone -- and highlights that location on a
world map with a blue dot connected to your QTH by the signal path

o if you depress the Ctrl key while double-clicking on a Spot Database Entry with both DXView
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/> and DXKeeper <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/> running, then DXView
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/> will rotate your antenna to the computed short-path beam heading

o if you depress the Alt key while double-clicking on a Spot Database Entry with both DXView <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/>
and DXKeeper <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/> running, then DXView <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/> will rotate your
antenna to the computed long-path beam heading

* Pathfinder <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/pathfinder/> captures the Entry's callsign, and initiates the designated automatic
search if one is specified

* DXKeeper <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/> filters its Log Page Display to show previous QSOs with the station's
base callsign, or previous QSOs with the station's DXCC entity as specified by the setting in SpotCollector's Log Filter
<file:///C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Log Filter> panel

* If SpotCollector is connected to an instance of WSJT-X whose current band and K1JT mode match those of the double-clicked
Spot Database Entry, the Entry's Callsign and DX Grid information will be conveyed to that instance of WSJT-X, which if it's version
2.1.2 or later will populate its DX Call and DX Grid boxes, and invoke its Generate Std Msgs function

* If SpotCollector is not connected to an instance of WSJT-X whose current band and K1JT mode match those of the
double-clicked Spot Database Entry,

o the Entry's Callsign, Mode, and DX Grid will be conveyed to the instance of WSJT-X that is running on the same computer that
hosts SpotCollector; if that instance of WSJT-X is version 2.1.2 or later, it will populate its DX Call and DX Grid boxes, switch to
the Entry's K1JT mode, and invoke its Generate Std Msgs function

o if a sub-band <file:///C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Sub-band
Definition panel> for the Spot Database Entry's band and K1JT mode is defined, Commander will be directed to

* change the transceiver's frequency to the base of that sub-band

* change the transceiver's mode to that specified in the Transceiver mode for WSJT-X
<file:///C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\DXLab%20Suite\SpotCollector\Help\ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Transceiver_mode_for_WSJT-X> panel

+ Most users are running a single instance of WSJT-X on the same computer that hosts SpotCollector, and will see a nice extension
from the previous version of SpotCollector: WSJT-X will be updated with the double-clicked Spot Database Entry's callsign and grid
square, and the WSJT-X "Generate Std Msgs" function will be invoked. After double-clicking the Spot Database Entry for a station
operating in K1JT mode, you'll still have to click WSJT-X's "Tx 1" button, decide whether or not to check the "Tx even/1st" box, and
select a clear frequency on which to transmit.

Stan Gammons

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all of your hard work on the DXLab Suite.

All of the links below that begin with file:///C:\  aren't going to work.  I would guess those are files that reside on your local machine.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 08:56 PM, Stan Gammons wrote:
All of the links below that begin with file:///C:\  aren't going to work.  I would guess those are files that reside on your local machine.
+ Thanks, Stan. I'll correct those before I make a public release.

      Dave