Topics

NEED HELP IN GETTING COMMANDER WORKING

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

I have been fighting this for a few days. I can load DX/lab Launcher but I only get Commander. When I try to load the remaining programs, the only choice I have is "Update" which can't be done because it was not installed and there is nothing to "update."
Second, I wish to use this for rig control while running MMTTY. It seems to "configure" OK but when I press the "TX" icon, it does key the radio (ICOM 7610) but it only sends one steady tone (Mark, I think). I can decode fine.
Is there anyone out there that is willing to get on the phone with me and then that person can take control via TEAM VIEWER and get it to work? There is more data I could add but I did not want to make this a LLOONNGG note.
Any help appreciated. Regards, Dan, W8KMX

I have been fighting this for a few days. I can load DX/lab Launcher but I only get Commander. When I try to load the remaining programs, the only choice I have is "Update" which can't be done because it was not installed and there is nothing to "update."
+ Before helping you get Commander controlling your IC-7610, let's first address the installation problem. On the Launcher's Main window, there's a row of 7 buttons, labeled cmd, dxk, dxv, pf, pv, sc, and ww. Above each of these buttons, is a circular LED-like display. What colors are each of these buttons?

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

CMD Is green but the remainder are all red because the red ones have not been installed. Dan

On Mar 5, 2021 at 5:21 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
I have been fighting this for a few days. I can load DX/lab Launcher but I only get Commander. When I try to load the remaining programs, the only choice I have is "Update" which can't be done because it was not installed and there is nothing to "update."
+ Before helping you get Commander controlling your IC-7610, let's first address the installation problem. On the Launcher's Main window, there's a row of 7 buttons, labeled cmd, dxk, dxv, pf, pv, sc, and ww. Above each of these buttons, is a circular LED-like display. What colors are each of these buttons?

CMD Is green but the remainder are all red because the red ones have not been installed

+ That's not correct, Dan. "Red" means "installed but not running".

+ In the Windows Control Panel, please invoke the "uninstall a program" applet, which will display a list of installed applications. Which DXLab applications appear on this list?

+ Please close this applet without actually installing an applications.

+ On the Launcher's Configuration window, please select the "DXLab Apps" tab. For which DXLab applications are "program paths" specified? Pick an application other than Commandeer for which a "program path" is specified. What is that program path?

In the post below, I meant to say "Please close this applet without actually uninstalling an applications."

CMD Is green but the remainder are all red because the red ones have not been installed

+ That's not correct, Dan. "Red" means "installed but not running".

+ In the Windows Control Panel, please invoke the "uninstall a program" applet, which will display a list of installed applications. Which DXLab applications appear on this list?

+ Please close this applet without actually installing an applications.

+ On the Launcher's Configuration window, please select the "DXLab Apps" tab. For which DXLab applications are "program paths" specified? Pick an application other than Commandeer for which a "program path" is specified. What is that program path?

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

Dave: Thanks for the correction. I did not know it was there , just not running.
Yes, in the control panel and uninstall, all the remaining programs were listed. The path for the launcher is “C:\HAM SOFTWARE\DXLabLauncher.exe”
For Those that do not work, the path is shown as E:\DXLab. etc. My “E” drive is. CD/DVD drive and it is empty. I have a “F” drive (external) with a bunch of files etc.
I did a search on “This PC” for Pathfinder.exe but found nothing.
Hope the extra info helps.
Dan

On Mar 5, 2021 at 7:16 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

In the post below, I meant to say "Please close this applet without actually uninstalling an applications."

CMD Is green but the remainder are all red because the red ones have not been installed

+ That's not correct, Dan. "Red" means "installed but not running".

+ In the Windows Control Panel, please invoke the "uninstall a program" applet, which will display a list of installed applications. Which DXLab applications appear on this list?

+ Please close this applet without actually installing an applications.

+ On the Launcher's Configuration window, please select the "DXLab Apps" tab. For which DXLab applications are "program paths" specified? Pick an application other than Commandeer for which a "program path" is specified. What is that program path?

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

Dave, I likely messed it up when I initially installed it because, I changed the default directory location. Maybe I need to uninstall everything and go back and reinstall it except use all default answers. Dan

[...]

+ It sounds like you directed the Launcher to install some of your DXLab apps in E:\DXLab, which is no longer present. So Windows and the Launcher both think you have these apps installed, but the files do not exist..

+ Did you have media in your CD/DVD drive when you directed the Launcher to install your DXLab apps in E:\HAM ? If so, do you still have that media?

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

A CD with the ICOM 7610 service manual was in the drive. I have since taken that out. DAN

On Mar 5, 2021 at 8:02 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Yes the data/media is still on the CD. Dan

[...]

+ In order to direct Windows to uninstall the applications you installed in E:\DXLab, you will need to have the media loaded in E: that was present when you did the installation. Otherwise, Windows won't find the installation manifest files, and won't be able to uninstall those apps.

+ You should also direct Windows to uninstall Commander and the Launcher, as you have incorrect directed the Laucher to install them in a single folder. The default installation folder for DXLab is

C:\DXLab

+ The Launcher installs itself in the folder

C:\DXLab\Launcher

+ and installed (for example) DXKeeper in the folder

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper

+ Each application's files are installed in a separate folder.

+ It's fine to override the default by specifying an installation folder like

C:\Ham Programs\DXLab

+ Windows is extremely unforgiving about maintaining the integrity of installed applications; one false move, and your only recourse is to re-install WIndows or run a "Registry Cleaner" application.

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

I did put the CD back in drive E. However, via control panel, uninstall I was unable to uninstall all programs as it said it could not find the files. Using C cleaner, I did clean up the files and run the registry for problems. I did find several that needed to be cleaned but it didn’t help the reinstallation. I will pick it up tomorrow. Been working too much on it today. I think my brain is mush. Thanks for your help and I’m sorry to bother you. 73, Dan, W8KMX

On Mar 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

+  AA6YQ comments below
I did put the CD back in drive E. However, via control panel, uninstall I was unable to uninstall all programs as it said it could not find the files. Using C cleaner, I did clean up the files and run the registry for problems. I did find several that needed to be cleaned but it didn’t help the reinstallation. I will pick it up tomorrow. Been working too much on it today. I think my brain is mush. Thanks for your help and I’m sorry to bother you. 73, Dan, W8KMX

+ No bother at all, Dan; helping users solve problems is a primary reason this group exists.

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

On 3/5/2021 8:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+  AA6YQ comments below
I did put the CD back in drive E. However, via control panel, uninstall I was unable to uninstall all programs as it said it could not find the files. Using C cleaner, I did clean up the files and run the registry for problems. I did find several that needed to be cleaned but it didn’t help the reinstallation. I will pick it up tomorrow. Been working too much on it today. I think my brain is mush. Thanks for your help and I’m sorry to bother you. 73, Dan, W8KMX

+ No bother at all, Dan; helping users solve problems is a primary reason this group exists.

Dave: I got up the energy to start again on DXLab software. I used "IOBot Uninstall" to get rid of everything I could find and it did remove the items we discussed in the Control Panel >uninstall etc.

I disconnected my CD/DVD drive E and my external additional hard drive F. I cleaned with CCleaner including registry, rebooted and began again.

I even deleted the file I had previously downloaded from DXLab and started all over again. I installed everything. I tried to install everything in C:\DXlab\ (which I had created) and planned to let the program create the sub folders such as "WinWarbler," "Spot Collector" etc but that did not work. Only DXKeeper and DXView were installed there and it said it could not install others there because Commander was already installed there. So, I created a Folder for each of the remaining under C:\ (i.e. C:\WinWarbler, C:\PropView etc.

Now, that seemed to work OK except when I loaded the program, I received the following message for all the rest (only the names were changed to protect the innocent).

Example: the specified Spot Database pathname

                E:\DXLab\SpotCollector\Data bases\Spots.mdb doesn't exist, and one cannot be created in this location.

So, somewhere it remembers me and the drive E. When I went to "config" it filled in some items such as my call and name etc. so there is a database somewhere hidden in my computer which I can't find.

Do you have a recommendation? Regards, Dan, W8KMX

Dave AA6YQ

@ more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

@ Evidently your effort to remove all DXLab registry entries was unsuccessful.

@ My advice is to

1. direct Windows to uninstall each of your DXLab applications

2. make sure you have a backup of all critical files

3. carefully using the Windows Registry Editor (REGEDIT), delete the following nodes in the Windows Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\DXLabLauncher

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\CI-V Commander

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\DXKeeper

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\DXView

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Pathfinder

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\PropView

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\SpotCollector

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\WinWarbler

4. Install the DXLab Launcher into the default folder C:\DXLab (the Launcher will be installed in C:\DXLab\Launcher)

5. Direct the Launcher to install Commander into the default folder c:\DXLab (Commander will be installed in C:\DXLab\Commander)

6. Configure Commander to control your transceiver

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each additional DXLab application you wish to use

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

Hello Dave and thanks for the information. It worked fine and in fact I now have WinWarbler working. Or at least I think it’s working I can hear the tones and I’m producing RF and it sounds good at this end through the monitor. I still don’t have MMTTY working and I fully don’t understand because they’re almost the same thing. I’ll work on that tomorrow. But thanks for your help, and let me tell you you were an a Normas help. Seven threes Dan, W8KMX

On Mar 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

@ more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Does that mean that you have Commander correctly controlling your IC-7610?

and in fact I now have WinWarbler working. Or at least I think it’s working I can hear the tones and I’m producing RF and it sounds good at this end through the monitor. I still don’t have MMTTY working and I fully don’t understand because they’re almost the same thing.

+ Your first post in this thread said

"when I press the "TX" icon, it does key the radio (ICOM 7610) but it only sends one steady tone (Mark, I think)."

+ To transmit RTTY with WinWarbler, type some text in its transmit pane, and then click the "Start" button in WinWarbler's "RTTY transmit" panel. See this annotated screen shot:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Wiki/Graphics/WinWarbler/RTTY.jpg

+ Later, you can configure WinWarbler to "auto start".

+ A constant mark tone when transmitting RTTY is a classic symptom of having the transceiver configured for RTTY FSK transmission (for an IC-7610, mode set to "RTTY") but not supplying a FSK signal to the transceiver; for an IC-7610, that can be done via the second virtual COM port created by the transceiver, as described in this Icom manual:

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/USB_Port_Setting_Ver.1.0_Eng.pdf

+ The alternative is to transmit RTTY AFSK, in which case you'd configure WinWarbler to put your IC-7610 in DATA-L mode when operating RTTY.

+ Step-by-step instructions for configuring WinWarbler for RTTY operation are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConfigureRTTY

Dan Coleman <w8kmx@...>

Dave: Last night I had WW working in AFSK. I could receive and decode I could press the transmit button (in WW) and it would key the radio, send diddles, with RF out. I could type in RY’s TEST then my call in the transmit window and it would transmit that. Today, I could not duplicate WW working on AFSK.
 OK, so today (starting over) I started Launcher,  and Commander. Pressing the TX button in commander keyed the radio, produced a single tone and I did get RF out. I then started WW, which changed the radio to LSB, and I press the TX button in WW. It did not key the radio and did not produce a tone or any RF even though the software thought it was transmitting. When I checked port five, the port used to control the radio, WW said it was not available. I’m guessing that is because it was being used by commander. ??
You sent me a link to “Configuring WinWarbler for RTTY Operation“ which I followed religiously (both AFSK and FSK) but, it did not work. I also tried the radio in D1, D2 & D3 but that made no difference. Throughout all of these tests, I could receive and decode RTTY in WW. I even tried the K0PIR video for N1MM with MMTTY with same lack of results. I am getting embarrassed that I can’t figure this out. Dan, W8KMX

On Mar 6, 2021 at 9:23 PM, <Dave AA6YQ> wrote:

[...]

+ The article "Configuring WinWarbler for RTTY Operation" does not cover configuring WinWarbler for RX-TX switching (aka "PTT");
that's described in "Switching a Transceiver between Reception and Transmission" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PTTMechanism

+ My assumption was that anyone wishing to use WinWarbler would first review "Setting up CW, Phone, PSK, and RTTY Operation in
WinWarbler" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Multimode_Setup

+ which introduces configuration topics common to all modes: RX-TX switching, audio connections, and setting audio levels. See the
RTTY subsection in the "General Setup Instructions" section of this article.

+ To prevent this from happening again, I have added a "Configuration Steps You May Have Already Taken" section to the beginning of

"Configuring WinWarbler for RTTY Operation" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConfigureRTTY

+ and added steps for making the required audio settings and level adjustments.

+ Since you're using Commander to control your IC-7610, and since Commander can switch your IC-7610 between RX and TX, on the
Configuration window's PTT tab, set the Mode panel to "Xcvr Ctrl App" and set the Port panel to None. If that doesn't enable
WinWarbler to switch your transceiver between RX and TX, please let me know.

Andrew OBrien

My experience with FSK RTTY using Winwarbler and Commander with a 7610, 7300, and 705 is that most hiccups are with the radio's "keying" menu settings .  Occasionally with MMTTY Engine settings but usually the steps missed are the radio settings.
Andy K3UK

+ AA6YQ comments below