Topics

N1MM & DXLab Suite?

David Reed

I am interested in running N1MM when I am contesting, in conjunction with the rest of the DXLab Suite of programs…

Is there some wiki on this?

I assume part of it is to set up a different workspace to not active DXKeeper and to activate N1MM…

what else should I be worrying about?

Thanks for your suggestions and help, as always!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

Mike Rhodes / W8DN

On 12/14/2020 7:18 PM, David Reed wrote:
I am interested in running N1MM when I am contesting, in conjunction with the rest of the DXLab Suite of programs…

Is there some wiki on this?

I assume part of it is to set up a different workspace to not active DXKeeper and to activate N1MM…

what else should I be worrying about?

Thanks for your suggestions and help, as always!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

David Reed

Thanks Mike!

73 de Dave, W5SV

On Dec 14, 2020, at 18:37, Mike Rhodes <weightdn@...> wrote:

 https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm

Mike / W8DN

On 12/14/2020 7:18 PM, David Reed wrote:
I am interested in running N1MM when I am contesting, in conjunction with the rest of the DXLab Suite of programs…

Is there some wiki on this?

I assume part of it is to set up a different workspace to not active DXKeeper and to activate N1MM…

what else should I be worrying about?

Thanks for your suggestions and help, as always!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

Larry K8UT

Dave,

Mike, W8DN, provided exactly the right answer if you want to run a contest and have the DXLab suite running as subordinate to N1MM - looking up callsigns and saving contacts to the DXLab database.

There is another scenario: when you are not running a contest, but you are DXing with DXLab and want N1MM to be subordinate to DXLab. I use this scenario to watch N1MM's Spectrum Display while doing general-purpose logging. In this arrangement, you may need to disable some settings in N1MM's Configurer (especially CW keying) to avoid serial port conflicts between the two programs. To make this easy, you can create a custom N1MM .INI file and refer to that INI when when launching N1MM from a shortcut. (in this configuration your QSO's in Commander are not dual-logged in N1MM)
You can find more information here:

-larry (K8UT)

On 12/14/2020 7:18 PM, David Reed wrote:
I am interested in running N1MM when I am contesting, in conjunction with the rest of the DXLab Suite of programs…

Is there some wiki on this?

I assume part of it is to set up a different workspace to not active DXKeeper and to activate N1MM…

what else should I be worrying about?

Thanks for your suggestions and help, as always!

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

Andrew OBrien

Good info Larry.
Dave , when configured as outlined in the link to the wiki, will a QSO logged to DXK be auto uploaded to LoTW if this is one’s normal DXK setting ?
Andy K3uk

Andy

On Dec 15, 2020, at 7:03 AM, Larry K8UT <K8UT@...> wrote:

[...]

No - only logged as you don't want to wait for the upload to complete. Just do the upload during downtime or after the test.

Mike / W8DN

On 12/15/2020 8:25 AM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
[...]

Gilbert Baron W0MN

In my opinion it is better to not log to DXKeeper or any other log while using N1MM in a contest. Just use the adif it creates and do the logging and uploading and such offline after you are done with the test.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

BILL KENNAMER

I agree with Gil. If you’re a serious contester, run N1MM as a stand alone. It’s simple enough to upload to DXKeeper then LOTW after the contest, and prevents any conflicts between the two programs. I also filter the contest period and merge into existing log in ClubLog.

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 8:25 AM, Gilbert Baron W0MN <w0mn00@...> wrote:

[...]

ND9G Mike

" I also filter the contest period and merge into existing log in ClubLog."

This seems like an extra step. Why not just use the Upload button in the Club Log panel of Check progress tab? This will upload any QSO that hasn't been uploaded to CL previously, or has been modified since it was uploaded (e.g. confirmed/verified).

There is no need to filter the log first.

My post contest routine, for populating DXKeeper from my contest results is quick and simple.
1. Export and ADIF from N1MM+
2a. Import that into DXKeeper
2b. Fix any known DXCC discrepancies (e.g. AH2O in NY instead of Guam. The overrides list seems to be taking care of this specific one, but this is just an example.)
3. On the QSL tab, set to LotW, click Add Requested, then click upload.
4. Switch to eQSL.cc, click Add Requested, then click upload
5. On the Check progress tab, click the Upload button for Club Log.
6. Go visit with the XYL and daughter, whom I've barely talked to since Friday afternoon.

Of course if all someone wants is the data in DXK, then they don't need the extra uploads to the QSl services.

Steps 2-5 only take a few minutes and a handful of clicks, no extra filtering required, let DXK do the work. Dave did the work, so you don't have to.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM BILL KENNAMER <k5fuv@...> wrote:
I agree with Gil. If you’re a serious contester, run N1MM as a stand alone. It’s simple enough to upload to DXKeeper then LOTW after the contest, and prevents any conflicts between the two programs. I also filter the contest period and merge into existing log in ClubLog.

K5FUV

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Jon KM8V

Hi Larry,

Just curious why not use the spectrum display in Commander instead of N1MM?

73 de KM8V

Joe Subich, W4TV

AT present, Commander's spectrum display only supports certain Icom
and Flex-Radio devices. It is not available for Elecraft, Kenwood
or Yaesu transceivers (or older Icom and Flex-Radio rigs).

On 2020-12-15 12:15 PM, Jon KM8V wrote:
Hi Larry,
Just curious why not use the spectrum display in Commander instead of N1MM?
73 de KM8V

Larry K8UT

If you check out N1MM's Spectrum Display, it has many bells & whistled found nowhere else: adjustable threshold, packet-spot overlay, packet spot filtering and prioritization, jump-to-next signal, adjustable signal decay, band (mode) edge markers, dupe indicator, display forwarding, find vacant CQ frequency ...

-larry (K8UT)
It only works with a small subset of SDRs, but they are not too expensive and the features are worth the price.

-larry (K8UT)

Just curious why not use the spectrum display in Commander instead of N1MM?

73 de KM8V

Good info Larry.
Dave , when configured as outlined in the link to the wiki, will a QSO logged to DXK be auto uploaded to LoTW if this is one’s normal DXK setting ?

+ No. As described and depicted in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>

+ the gateway provides independent controls governing uploads to Club Log, eQSL, and LoTW, as well as "previous QSO" and callbook lookups:

In my opinion it is better to not log to DXKeeper or any other log while using N1MM in a contest. Just use the adif it creates and do the logging and uploading and such offline after you are done with the test.

+ Given the multiple forms of interoperation available between DXLab and N1MM, each op should try them and choose the one that best suits their needs. Your choice may vary from contest to contest.