Topics

MultiRig setup - TS-590SG linked to IC-7300 (update)

RVnRadio

Dave / AA6YQ

I have been using the basic IC-7300 for it's band scope as an addition to a TS-590SG for a number of weeks with DX Lab Commander's MultiRig feature.  I just wanted to report back that providing "eyes" to band and frequency activity to the '590 in this manner has performed admirably. Having that scope immediately above the 590's front panel is virtually the same as having this fundamental-feature scope built into the radio. Point (touch screen) and shoot frequency changes, band and mode changes between the two radios as if they were one is just outstanding.

Even though I have both radios set to matching data rates (i.e. 115,200), once in awhile a command string is missed for a change in band or mode. But a second cycle of band change from eithe radio is all it takes to pick up that command so it is virtually a none-issue.  Likewise when a VFO on either a radio is rolled to a new frequency, in a rare case the other radio might not match exactly.  If for example I change frequency to say, 14.239.70, the other radio might be 14.239.00 or something else.  A quick change of the VFO on one or the other radio will get them aligned with that "2nd" tranmssion of the code between the two radios. These things happen so infrequently, I don't mind them.  Hey, two different brand radios with different commands and data that your software interprets to provide to the 2nd radio to follow that does perfectly with every change "request", I am very pleased!  Even some of the common SDR receiver & software lashups between a radio and a computer can stutter sometimes. This setup works so well, I am good with it as it is. How I have applied Commander for my setup and minor vision issue was not something you had in mind.  Especially with your soft-scope alternative with certain model of radios set up to be Primary rig can provide so much more live information.

Bottom line - Thank you so much for your time and hard work that provides the Amateur Radio world with an excellent Suite of software.

Gene / K7TXO

[...]

+ I’m glad that you find Commander's capabilities useful, Gene.

+ The next time you perform an action that leaves your two radios on different frequencies -- no matter how small the difference -- please do the following:

1. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "log debugging info" box

2. wait exactly 1 minute (you can use the click in the title bar of Commander's Main window)

3. using its tuning knob, slightly change your IC-7300's frequency

4. wait a few seconds

5. terminate Commander

6. restart Commander

7. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

8. attach the errorlog.txt file from your Commander folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com