Topics

Multiple monitor question

Stan Gammons

I still have misgivings for doing so, but I moved all of my ham radio stuff to windows 10.  I have dual monitors and wondered why some things in DXLab splits between the monitors. For example, I have DXKeeper on the right monitor and I do "Sync LoTW QSLs"  the window with the checking QSL data is displayed on the left monitor; then the results notepad window displays on the right monitor. That seems odd. I would have thought the checking QSL data window would display on the same monitor DXKeeper is displayed on?

73

Stan
KM4HQE

I still have misgivings for doing so, but I moved all of my ham radio
stuff to windows 10. I have dual monitors and wondered why some things
in DXLab splits between the monitors. For example, I have DXKeeper on
the right monitor and I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the window with the
checking QSL data is displayed on the left monitor; then the results
notepad window displays on the right monitor. That seems odd. I would
have thought the checking QSL data window would display on the same
monitor DXKeeper is displayed on?

+ When a DXLab application wants to display a file containing text, it directs Windows to perform the OPEN operation on the .txt file type. Windows directs the application associated with the .txt file type to display the file; that application decides which monitor to use.

Stan Gammons

On 6/1/2019 10:58 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I still have misgivings for doing so, but I moved all of my ham radio
stuff to windows 10. I have dual monitors and wondered why some things
in DXLab splits between the monitors. For example, I have DXKeeper on
the right monitor and I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the window with the
checking QSL data is displayed on the left monitor; then the results
notepad window displays on the right monitor. That seems odd. I would
have thought the checking QSL data window would display on the same
monitor DXKeeper is displayed on?

+ When a DXLab application wants to display a file containing text, it directs Windows to perform the OPEN operation on the .txt file type. Windows directs the application associated with the .txt file type to display the file; that application decides which monitor to use.
Ok.  Why does the checking QSL data window display on the left monitor?  I would expect the .txt file to display on the same monitor as DXKeeper is displayed on.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

* The "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window is ephemeral; it's only displayed to convey status during the "Sync LoTW QSLs" operation. You can move it around on the current monitor, and it will appear where you last left it; whether this is the case across monitors, I can't say as I am travelling without access to a multi-monitor configuration.

I would expect the .txt file to display on the same monitor as DXKeeper is displayed on.

* As explained above, the application used to display a .txt file decides where its Main window appears; DXLab applications have no control over this. Developing a text editor so that DXLab apps can specify the monitor it should use is not justifiable.

Stan
KM4HQE

Stan Gammons

On 6/1/2019 11:20 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
* more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

When I drag  the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window to the right monitor; it doesn't stick.  The next time I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window displays on the left monitor.  Not that it really matters.  I just wondered why that window always displays on the left monitor. At least it does for me.

Have fun traveling :)

73

Stan
KM4HQE

When I drag the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window to the right monitor;
it doesn't stick. The next time I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the "Checking
LoTW QSL Data" window displays on the left monitor. Not that it really
matters. I just wondered why that window always displays on the left
monitor. At least it does for me.

+ The Windows function I'm using evidently remembers the window's last position, but not the monitor on which the window was last displayed.

Stan Gammons

On 6/1/2019 11:39 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

When I drag the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window to the right monitor;
it doesn't stick. The next time I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the "Checking
LoTW QSL Data" window displays on the left monitor. Not that it really
matters. I just wondered why that window always displays on the left
monitor. At least it does for me.

+ The Windows function I'm using evidently remembers the window's last position, but not the monitor on which the window was last displayed.
Not sure that's the case. In SpotCollector; I can drag the windows that popup when I click on spot sources across monitors and they stay on the monitor I drag them to. They popped up on the left monitor and I drag them to the right monitor. I have all of the DXLab suite on the right monitor. Email and digital stuff are on the left monitor.  Like I said before; not a big deal with the DXKeeper windows.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

When I drag the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" window to the right monitor;
it doesn't stick. The next time I do "Sync LoTW QSLs" the "Checking
LoTW QSL Data" window displays on the left monitor. Not that it really
matters. I just wondered why that window always displays on the left
monitor. At least it does for me.

+ The Windows function I'm using evidently remembers the window's last position, but not the monitor on which the window was last displayed.
Not sure that's the case. In SpotCollector; I can drag the windows that
popup when I click on spot sources across monitors and they stay on the
monitor I drag them to.

* In the case of the window used to display raw spots of the station in a Spot Database Entry, SpotCollector does not use the Windows function that DXKeeper employs for ephemeral windows because the raw spots window is not "always on top".

Bill Seward

Stan, check your multi-monitor setup in Windows and see if the monitor that the "Checking LoTW QSL Data" is always showing up on the monitor designated as "1". It's been a lo-o-ng time since I programmed anything for Windows, but I think that is the default for opening a new window when the display isn't specified.

Bill

[...]

Hi Bill,

Monitor 1 is the monitor "Checking LoTW QSL Data" is always displayed on.

73

Stan
KM4HQE