Topics

Mulitmonitor not recovering positions after lockking laptop and closing lid or when monitor is repositioned

Björn (SM0SBL)

I have two issues regarding multimonitor setup. They are related but not necessarily the same...

Problem one:
My home setup is a laptop where I run the waterfall display and a 27" HDMI-monitor where the rest of the applications is run.
My problem is that when I leave the computer by e.g. locking the screen and closing the lid all applications are situated on the laptop screen when reopening the lid and unlocking the computer.
I guess this is due to Windows disconnecting the laptop monitor when closing the lid.
My suggestion below should at least give me a workaround for this instead of manually repositioning all applications every time...

Problem two:
As I use my setup to run remotely all the time I also bring my laptop to the office, where I have a different external monitor with different resolution and a different position relative the laptop.
The external monitor at home sit 'on top' of the laptop monitor, i.e. If I drag thee mouse up over the laptop screen I enter the external monitor from below. The external monitor is situated on the right hand side of the laptop due to physical limitations. I.e. when i drag the mouse over the right hand side of the laptop monitor the mouse pointer enter the external monitor from the left.
My problem is that when I close the computer at home and open it up at the office all windows are 'gone', or rather try to sit on top of my laptop and vice verse.
I would like a 'monitor profile' setting which store the positions of the applications using names, e.g. office, home e.t.c.
At least the monitor position for the second monitor should be relative the edges of that monitor and not relative the main monitor.

I understand I have the second problem only because I use DXLab suite remote against my distant QTH and there might be very few people having this particular problem.
I am probably not the only one having the first problem though... I guess...
I have tried to find the answer in the documentation but only find info about enabling the multimonitor in each application which I of course have done.
--
Björn, SM0SBL

rcktscientist64

Would creating a workspace for each location with the correct monitor positions solve the problem?

Bruce - K5WBM

On Nov 21, 2020, at 3:43 AM, Björn <groups.io@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

Closing the laptop lid "disconnects" any second monitor and all
DXLab Suite applications will move back to the primary monitor
when the secondary monitor is disconnected.

Your situation would be resolved by creating separate workspaces
for home/office and terminating DXLab Suite rather than simply
closing the lid of the laptop. You would start Launcher, load
the appropriate workspace then start the DXLab applications.

On 2020-11-21 4:42 AM, Björn (SM0SBL) wrote:
[...]

The window position seam to be stored in the registry, i.e. the workspace, so that could be a workaround.
It would be a bit tedious to have more than one workspace only to keep track of window positions as every time I change something else that should be stored in the workspace I must remember to make the same changes when at the office the next time.
Doable but not optimal.

One workable solution could be to be able to only save and load window position information in the workspace in question.
If not supported by Dave I could of course find the registry-keys and make a script of my own to save and restore only these settings.
Not optimal but also doable.
Easiest would be to have a button to arrange the windows according to a profile. And when writing that I realize my suggestion is really close to the workspaces but the arrange button would act on the already opened windows.
I'm not sure though if it is even possible to instruct the already opened windows to reposition itself.

The other problem with windows incorrectly positioned on the external screen, or actually temporarily lost in space, just because the screen is not above but to the side of the main screen is another problem...
I don't want to have separate workspaces for right, left and top for both of my workspaces I have today, that would give me up to six workspaces to maintain instead of two.
(I have two callsigns depending of if I'm on the IOTA island or not due to the rules of IOTA and the possibllity to have a special signal for running from the IOTA entity)
This problem is as far as my guess is correct just a matter of what coordinate system the window position relates to when saving it. I my opinion the position should be relative one of the corners of the screen in question rather then relative the main screen which is not the screen where the window is.

--
Björn, SM0SBL

This problem is as far as my guess is correct just a matter of what coordinate system the window position relates to when saving it. I my opinion the position should be relative one of the corners of the screen in question rather then relative the main screen which is not the screen where the window is.

+ Attempting to convince Microsoft to change their window coordinate system would be a waste of time.

+ If you want to efficiently use the same Workspace on two different computer systems, then make those two systems identical from a hardware perspective - e.g., the same monitor arrangement.

+ Otherwise, you'll need to develop automation that manipulates Workspaces based on your specific situation.

Björn (SM0SBL)

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 05:06 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ Attempting to convince Microsoft to change their window coordinate system would be a waste of time.
I get your point...
I can solve my problem by generating a script to change the registry keys involved with windows position. It is quite easy to find which settings is involved by change position and size of all windows, save the workspace and compare with the previous saved workspace as they are text files.
Björn

--
Björn, SM0SBL

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

+ Attempting to convince Microsoft to change their window coordinate system would be a waste of time.

I get your point...
I can solve my problem by generating a script to change the registry keys involved with windows position. It is quite easy to find which settings is involved by change position and size of all windows, save the workspace and compare with the previous saved workspace as they are text files.

* There are 5 settings for each window:

CurrentState
Left
Top
Height
Width

* For example:

"CaptureWindowState"="0"
"CaptureLeft"="16260"
"CaptureTop"="10050"
"CaptureHeight"="6885"
"CaptureWidth"="6255"

* Let me know if you need additional information.

Carlo - IK2RPE

Dave, Bjorn
Me too I have the same Bjorn's problem and I would like to see if Bjorn could solve it with his script.
Looking forward to seeing the possible solution(s).

73 de

Carlo  IK2RPE

Il dom 22 nov 2020, 02:01 Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> ha scritto:
* more AA6YQ comments below

[...]

I'll post my script here when finished Carlo.
I think it will be a simple registry-changefile with only the window related lines in it. You will then have to manually change to your needs by comparing with the workspace saved settings for the corresponding lines.

@Dave: I still think it would be a good idea for you to consider the option to separate the window setups from the other settings.
When working on a 'script' I have realized it would be really great with the option to be able to save and load only the windows layout specific registry settings separate from other program behaviour settings if one want to.
A checkbox to save and load only windows layout specific information such as position, size, 'always on top', 'user defined controls expanded or not' and so on.

If I had that checkbox I could easily first load workspace for SM0SBL or SB0G which are my two callsigns depending on physical location. When at home, i.e. SM0SBL, I could also load only the window related information for either my 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 external monitor or if working with only the laptop a settings for a single 1920x1080 without changing other working condition related (call sign, QTH, IOTA etc..)
When loading the workspace information regarding window layout the name in Launcher of the current workspace need not be changed as nothing behavioral has actually changed, only where and how the windows are visible or not.

It would not be a drastically change for the software I guess but a huge improvement for the few of us who have different setups from time to time.

The problem I would like to avoid is to not have separate workspaces for the same callsign and all working related information just to have separate window related settings. When I change something working condition related I must remember to change it in all workspaces regarding that working condition.
I am a developer myself, but for chip design, and my experience that any redundancy when the same information is stored in more than one place is doomed to diverge over time with confusion and potential problems...

It might be a some work to find all window related information to separate from the other settings but I'm willing to help you find that out by first make a registry file with enough settings to setup the window environment. Of course the position and size for all windows, and weather or not they shall be visible, is to be incorporated, but there are other settings such as 'always on top', 'expanded user control panel' and such that are candidates as well.

--
[...]

+ Thanks Björn. The time that I would spend implementing your enhancement request is time that I could not spend implementing other enhancement requests that provide greater value to a significantly larger fraction of the user community.

+ Using the Workspace mechanism for maintaining operational consistency among multiple DXLab installations works best when those installations share a common file structure (example: DXLab applications are installed in C:\DXLab in each installation) and a common monitor arrangement.

+ Someday, when I've run out of high-value enhancements to implement, I'll be able to address the more idiosyncratic requests.

Björn (SM0SBL)

Ok, fair enough.
I guess though that if you don't have enough with important stuff to work on you should be on the radio instead :o)

I do have an issue with window position of the SpotCollector.
It seams that SC don't accept negative number on registry key SpotDatabaseUILeft and SpotDatabaseUITop.
If I put SC on my external monitor and close the program the negative numbers are stored in the registry but when starting SC again it ends up on my main screen and when closing again the registry keys are set to zero.
The behavior is as if you by mistake used an unsigned int or by some other reason accidently limit the value to positive numbers.

--
Björn, SM0SBL

Björn (SM0SBL)

I have emailed you the ErrorLog and registry entries before and after opening 0f SC when positioned on the secondary monitor.
--
Björn, SM0SBL

Ok, fair enough.
I guess though that if you don't have enough with important stuff to work on you should be on the radio instead :o)

I do have an issue with window position of the SpotCollector.
It seams that SC don't accept negative number on registry key SpotDatabaseUILeft and SpotDatabaseUITop.
If I put SC on my external monitor and close the program the negative numbers are stored in the registry but when starting SC again it ends up on my main screen and when closing again the registry keys are set to zero.
The behavior is as if you by mistake used an unsigned int or by some other reason accidently limit the value to positive numbers.

+ Check the "Use multiple monitors" box in the General panel on the General tab of SpotCollector's Configuration window, and then SpotCollector won't coerce window X and Y coordinates to positive values; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/ConfigurationGeneral.htm#Use%20dual%20monitors>;

Björn (SM0SBL)

Of course!
My fault!
I had that setting on all other windows but realized I could have the SC UI up behind the other windows to be able to se the first columns of spots from all bands while working the radio and had forgot I had to set it in SC as well...

I consider my request from this post as closed now.
I'll probably post a reply here later on for those who might be interested when I have a working registry-file for window-settings only as a workaround.

And once again; BIG thank you for an incredible program suite for hams! It is by far the best interface for my radio, on site or remote, of all the others I have tried, including those that cost quite a lot of money...

Now I will focus on 17m which seam to be wide open at the moment :)
--
Björn, SM0SBL

Björn (SM0SBL)

I now have a solution/workaround that works fine for me regarding the multiple monitor setup problems at different shacks.

I have described this in a separate thread to make it easier to find if searching:
https://groups.io/g/DXLab/topic/how_to_script_different/78830529?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,78830529

Hope it will help someone!

--
Björn, SM0SBL

I now have a solution/workaround that works fine for me regarding the multiple monitor setup problems at different shacks.

I have described this in a separate thread to make it easier to find if searching:
https://groups.io/g/DXLab/topic/how_to_script_different/78830529?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,78830529

Hope it will help someone!

+ Thanks Björn!