Moving to Ubuntu -- maybe

Earl Needham

This latest forcible adoption of Microsoft Edge just really got me torqued this morning and I've spent most of the day trying to get moved over to Ubuntu.

Along the way, I discovered that most things I do are on a web browser, so that was easy.

But right now I'm stumped -- I've got DXLabs running under Wine (but haven't tried intenret connectivity yet), but I can't seem to figure out how to get my log database moved over.  When in Ubuntu, I can't "see" the Wine environment, and when in Wine I can't see the Ubuntu environment.  Very confusing.

Any help, please?

Thanks,
Earl
KD5XB

This latest forcible adoption of Microsoft Edge just really got me torqued this morning and I've spent most of the day trying to get moved over to Ubuntu.

Along the way, I discovered that most things I do are on a web browser, so that was easy.

But right now I'm stumped -- I've got DXLabs running under Wine (but haven't tried intenret connectivity yet), but I can't seem to figure out how to get my log database moved over.  When in Ubuntu, I can't "see" the Wine environment, and when in Wine I can't see the Ubuntu environment.  Very confusing.

Any help, please?

+ DXLab applications are not supported on Wine. It is only supported on Windows. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXLabLinux

Earl Needham

Oh I see where I fouled up -- I should try and get the Oracle VM Virtual Box running and go from there.  Sorry for the confusion.

Earl

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 4:31 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

KA9JAC

Earl,

I am a bit confused, could you explain to me what you mean by "latest forcible adoption of Microsoft Edge"

73,
Bob, KA9JAC

On 6/22/2022 5:14 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
This latest forcible adoption of Microsoft Edge just really got me torqued this morning and I've spent most of the day trying to get moved over to Ubuntu.

Along the way, I discovered that most things I do are on a web browser, so that was easy.

But right now I'm stumped -- I've got DXLabs running under Wine (but haven't tried intenret connectivity yet), but I can't seem to figure out how to get my log database moved over.  When in Ubuntu, I can't "see" the Wine environment, and when in Wine I can't see the Ubuntu environment.  Very confusing.

Any help, please?

Thanks,
Earl
KD5XB

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Aaron NE1AB

On 6/22/2022 8:12 PM, KA9JAC wrote:
[...]

neil_zampella

I agree with you Bob.   There's nothing that forces you to use Edge, I don't and have been using Firefox for years.

The only time Edge is even opened on my computers is if a third-party program opens it up.  9 times out of 10, this is solved by making an alternative browser the system browser.   That 10th time is Quicken, and I can live with that as it uses the engine to display information, but not the full 'browser' much like DXLabs does.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/22/2022 7:12 PM, KA9JAC wrote:
[...]

Quick edit ... last line should read:    "... full "browser", in much the same way DXLabs does."

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/23/2022 5:35 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

[...]

Steve Sawicki

In The Latest Windows 10 "Home" Edition, The Update "Removed" FireFox As the Selected Browser And Established EDGE as The Browser in ALL Application Calls, A Bit of a Pain to "Correct" But Workable if you spend the Time and Effort to Change as Many "Users" Will NOT and That was Their Objective, As to Applications Some MS API Have That in them Already.
It Did Not Occur In The Win 10 Pro Update, Yet!
73's
Steve  AB2ET/4

Steve, N5EP

The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

Jim N7US

I’ve never had that experience with Windows 10 or 11 updates.

73,  Jim N7US

The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

Gilbert Baron W0MN

NO, it does not. It will perhaps offer to and try to persuade you perhaps but you have the choice to refuse the offer. Not nice, but I do not think it is illegal either.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

On 2022-06-24 5:52 PM, Steve, N5EP via groups.io wrote:

Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has
been chosen by the user.
That is demonstrably untrue. Yes, Windows will go through a set-up
dialog with each update - as part of the dialog it *offers* to set
the default browser to Edge. However, the user only needs to decline
the offer. I have *never* had the browser reset to Edge (I've used
Mozilla for 10+ years).

This is no different than what Apple does with every update of iOS
or iPad OS ...

On 2022-06-24 5:52 PM, Steve, N5EP via groups.io wrote:
The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.
N5EP

Dave / NR1DX

Same experience here .. When it does an Edge update it ASKS me if I want make EDGE my default to which I always replay NO, keep my current default ( Firefox). I run all three FIREFOX, EDGE and CHROME...and that is my current order of preference. Their are a few obscure things Edge does better but not much . It has however moved up to 2nd place behind FireFox. Chrome and anything "Google" is now in last place and I have switched my search engine to DuckDuckGO

I have tried switching to UNIX several times over the years but there are a LOT of programs I use as part of my business which wont run under the various versions of LINUX and its WINE look a likes. It's just too frustrating. Until LINUX settles on a one size fits all version it will continue to be a red headed step child for which many of the developers of other software will continue ( and I agree) to ignore. The Linux family  it is a lot like watching someone herding cats.

Dave
NR1DX

--
Dave Manuals@... www.ArtekManuals.com

PHIL SCHECHTER NE0S

I have that happen repeatedly with Windows 10.
73,

Phil, NE0S

On Jun 24, 2022, at 15:54, Jim N7US <jim@...> wrote:

I’ve never had that experience with Windows 10 or 11 updates.

73,  Jim N7US

The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

Steve Maki

My only comment is that *offers* should be changed to *strongly suggests*. Once one has gone thru the motions a couple times, it's easy to navigate around that bit.

-Steve K8LX

On 2022-06-24 5:52 PM, Steve, N5EP via groups.io wrote:
The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

Steve, N5EP

With respect, Joe, I have never replied to any requests to change my default browser from Google Chrome to Edge, and I also have on numerous occasions changed the default app for various file types from Edge to Chrome (for htm, html, etc.) or Adobe Acrobat Reader (for pdf, etc.), only to have them revert to Edge after an update.  This is on the current releases of Windows 11 Professional.  Nevertheless, since this is off topic, it’s probably enough said.

Thanks & 73,

Steve, N5EP

PHIL SCHECHTER NE0S

I have that happen repeatedly with Windows 10.
73,

Phil, NE0S

On Jun 24, 2022, at 15:54, Jim N7US <jim@...> wrote:

I’ve never had that experience with Windows 10 or 11 updates.

73,  Jim N7US

The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

KA9JAC

I have also never experienced an issue like that.

73
Bob, KA9JAC

On 6/24/2022 4:54 PM, Jim N7US wrote:

I’ve never had that experience with Windows 10 or 11 updates.

73,  Jim N7US

The United States v. Microsoft antitrust case in 2001, which Microsoft lost, was about the company using its monopoly power against other browsers.  It seems they have forgotten about that.  Now every time there is a Windows update the default browser is changed back to Microsoft Edge from whatever alternate browser has been chosen by the user.

N5EP

AVG logo

www.avg.com

dxradio33

Personally, I have not had that experience.  My default browser has not been changed.  I have received messages saying “Microsoft Edge is NOT your default browser do you want to change” (or something similar) but it has never physically changed my non-MS browser to Edge.