Topics

Moving DXLab Suite

Jay W8ES

I want to transfer DXLab Suite to another laptop. I put together all the programs in a work space as directed in the on-line help files and installed DXLab on the second laptop. Then I remembered I use Google Drive to hold my log backups and databases for my primary and a club call sign. The file route is C:\Users\(name)\Google Drive\LogBackups\DXKeeper\.  Unfortunately, the (name) part is different on the two laptops.

If I complete the work space transfer, will I simply be able to edit the db file routing on the second laptop to make everything right?

I seem to remember reading something about problems caused with different user names a long time ago, but I can’t find an answer to this via searches. Could you tell me the easiest way to solve this problem or point me in the right direction for the needed information? I’d prefer some knowledgeable guidance before I go any farther.

Thanks,
-- John W8ES

I want to transfer DXLab Suite to another laptop. I put together all the programs in a work space as directed in the on-line help files and installed DXLab on the second laptop. Then I remembered I use Google Drive to hold my log backups and databases for my primary and a club call sign. The file route is C:\Users\(name)\Google Drive\LogBackups\DXKeeper\. Unfortunately, the (name) part is different on the two laptops.

If I complete the work space transfer, will I simply be able to edit the db file routing on the second laptop to make everything right?

+Yes, after restoring your Workspace on the second laptop, you can start your applications on the second laptop and use them to modify settings there. When you start DXKeeper, it will try - unsuccessfully, I assume --to open the log file using the pathname specified in your first laptop's instance of DXKeeper. On your second laptop, open the Log tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, and use the "Log File" panel to select your log file using the appropriate pathname.

+ Note: you cannot have the same log file simultaneously open in two instances of DXKeeper. So Terminate DXKeeper on your first laptop before starting it on your second laptop, and vice versa.

I seem to remember reading something about problems caused with different user names a long time ago, but I can’t find an answer to this via searches.

+ I don't recall any problems with different user names. When moving a Workspace from one computer to another, you'll have to manually change settings on the second computer if folders and files are in different locations -- like your log file.

Jay W8ES

Thank you, Dave. It all went well and everything seems to be in place and correct.

-- Jay W8ES