More 6m report questions

Peter Dougherty

I'd like to throw together two SQL filters to help fill in missing 6m grids, a few of which go back a few years.

The first would be any 6m QSO not in DXCCID 291, whose grid square has not yet been confirmed or a physical card requested, and for users who aren't on LoTW. I will then send them a bureau card and hope for the best. 

The second would be almost exactly like the first, but with DXCCID of 291, and for them I will send a direct card and SASE.

If I have worked more than one station in any grid square, and neither one of them has confirmed the square for me I'll need all of those in the report so I can send cards to all of them. This especially confuses me when I try to make an SQL filter. I only have 65 worked-but-unconfirmed grids so these won't be too bad to act on. Obviously I'll also need to ignore Verified. Every QSO in my log has been uploaded to LoTW so now I'm just chasing stragglers.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below I'd like to throw together two SQL filters to help fill in missing 6m grids, a few of which go back a few years.

The first would be any 6m QSO not in DXCCID 291, whose grid square has not yet been confirmed or a physical card requested, and for users who aren't on LoTW. I will then send them a bureau card and hope for the best.

+ That's

(BAND='6m') and (DXCCID<>'291') and (not (QSL_RCVD in ('R','Y','S','V'))) and (APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_MEMBER<>'Y')

The second would be almost exactly like the first, but with DXCCID of 291, and for them I will send a direct card and SASE.

+ That's

(BAND='6m') and (DXCCID='291') and (not (QSL_RCVD in ('R','Y','S','V'))) and (APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_MEMBER<>'Y')

If I have worked more than one station in any grid square, and neither one of them has confirmed the square for me I'll need all of those in the report so I can send cards to all of them.

+ Both of the above filters do that.

This especially confuses me when I try to make an SQL filter.

+ Both filters are a phrase-by-phrase translation of your in-English description.

I only have 65 worked-but-unconfirmed grids so these won't be too bad to act on. Obviously I'll also need to ignore Verified.

+ The fragment

not (QSL_RCVD in ('R','Y','S','V')

+ means that a paper confirmation has not been requested, has not been received, has not been submitted for DXCC award credit, and has not received DXCC award credit.

+ The fragment

(APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_MEMBER<>'Y')

+ excludes any participant in LoTW. When DXKeeper updates a logged QSO to reflect confirmation via LoTW, it sets that QSO's APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_MEMBER item to 'Y' - so there's no need to include

not (APP_DXKEEPER_LOTW_QSL_RCVD in ('R','Y','S','V')

+ though it would not hurt to do so

Every QSO in my log has been uploaded to LoTW so now I'm just chasing stragglers.

+ Note that some stations require a "contribution" as a prerequisite for an LoTW upload. Z37CXY on 6m, for example, required a Club Log OQRS transaction. The same is true of C92RU on 160m.

Dave, AA6YQ

Peter Dougherty

Obviously the one thing I neglected in my original request is that the grid must still be unconfirmed. There will be tons of stations I've worked who aren't on LoTW or who didn't upload my QSO, but whose grids are long-since confirmed.

As for "donations," yep, I had to shoot a few bucks to Z37CXY, and a few others. I honestly don't mind. Sitting 8 back of my 10th DXCC certificate, I sure won't begrudge an operator $4 or $5, especially if they're in a part of the world where QSL revenue can make a big difference to them. Within reason, of course.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Obviously the one thing I neglected in my original request is that the grid must still be unconfirmed. There will be tons of stations I've worked who aren't on LoTW or who didn't upload my QSO, but whose grids are long-since confirmed.
+ Since your goal is to send out QSL cards, and assuming that you have DXKeeper configured to pursue VUCC on 6m, then

1. filter the Log Page Display with

Band='6m'

2. on the Main window's QSL tab,

2a. set the "QSL Via" panel to QSL cards, QSL labels, ADIF file, or CSV file -- whatever you use when generating QSL cards

2b. click the "Add Needed" button

2c. produce QSL cards from the QSL queue

Dave, AA6YQ

Peter Dougherty

Hi Dave,
I did manage to get a bunch of DX bureau cards out but stateside is definitely more problematic. I tried the steps you mentioned above and it's still producing foreign and domestic results. Even when I go into the QSL Config's General tab and deselect all awards except FFMA. I thought that would have done what I needed but it doesn't.

There's got to be an easier way of highlighting all, and only, FFMA grids that remain unconfirmed, sending direct cards to users who are not LoTW participants. I tried to do this with the SQL queries that I asked about earlier but no joy.

My latest attempt was to use the second SQL filter you created, with FFMA only checked in the setup but this returned over 200 results (including requesting un-needed confirmations for bands other than 6m). A quick count shows that I have about 21 grids unconfirmed from the lower-48. Assuming most of those squares have only one station worked, and a couple maybe having 2 stations worked, I should probably get somewhere around 30 records in the query. Any thoughts on how to improve this?

I'd like to suggest that perhaps this should be a button or standard filter included with DXK since 6m grid chasing continues to soar in popularity thanks to FT8 and affordable 6m amps. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this difficulty. Perhaps if it was easy to sort the log based on unconfirmed grid squares in the USA, or USA/Canada/Mexico that qualify for the FFMA, to account for XE and VE border grids.

Joe Subich, W4TV

It's not rocket science ...

The FFMA.TXT script includes a "Filter" command that is (be removing
"Filter") the SQL function for filtering the log for FFMA grids. The
same log filter is printed at the top of the FFMA Progress Report.

Copy that, paste it into the FilterTextBox and strike Ctrl-S or <enter>.
Your log will be filtered for ONLY FFMA grids on six meters (you can
optionally define a "User" sort to sort by grid).

Then, go to the QSL tab and select either labels or cards. Click "add
Needed" and *DECLINE* the offer to remove the filter.

You should have a list of any "needed" QSLs (but only one per grid).

It works for me ... it identifies the two unconfirmed grids (both
not LotW Users) in my log.

Note: This assumes all of your six meter QSOs are eligible for
FFMA (made from locations within 120 miles of each other). If you
have ineligible QSOs, you will need to modify the filter to
exclude those QTHs.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-07-10 2:49 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
Hi Dave,
I did manage to get a bunch of DX bureau cards out but stateside is definitely more problematic. I tried the steps you mentioned above and it's still producing foreign and domestic results. Even when I go into the QSL Config's General tab and deselect all awards except FFMA. I thought that would have done what I needed but it doesn't.
There's got to be an easier way of highlighting all, /and *only*/, FFMA grids that remain unconfirmed, sending direct cards to users who are not LoTW participants. I tried to do this with the SQL queries that I asked about earlier but no joy.
My latest attempt was to use the second SQL filter you created, with FFMA only checked in the setup but this returned over 200 results (including requesting un-needed confirmations for bands other than 6m). A quick count shows that I have about 21 grids unconfirmed from the lower-48. Assuming most of those squares have only one station worked, and a couple maybe having 2 stations worked, I should probably get somewhere around 30 records in the query. Any thoughts on how to improve this?
I'd like to suggest that perhaps this should be a button or standard filter included with DXK since 6m grid chasing continues to soar in popularity thanks to FT8 and affordable 6m amps. I'm sure I'm not the only one having this difficulty. Perhaps if it was easy to sort the log based on unconfirmed grid squares in the USA, or USA/Canada/Mexico that qualify for the FFMA, to account for XE and VE border grids.

Dave AA6YQ

I did manage to get a bunch of DX bureau cards out but stateside is definitely more problematic. I tried the steps you mentioned above and it's still producing foreign and domestic results. Even when I go into the QSL Config's General tab and deselect all awards except FFMA. I thought that would have done what I needed but it doesn't.

There's got to be an easier way of highlighting all, and only, FFMA grids that remain unconfirmed, sending direct cards to users who are not LoTW participants. I tried to do this with the SQL queries that I asked about earlier but no joy.

+ DXLab provides realtime award tracking for the VUCC family of awards; this enables SpotCollector to immediately recognize needed grid squares among stations reported as QRV, enables DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function to populate the QSL queue with unconfirmed QSOs that if confirmed would advance your VUCC award progress, and enables submissions for VUCC award credit to be automatically generated.

+ FFMA is a 6m, continental US subset of the VUCC family of awards. DXLab does not provide realtime award tracking for FFMA, but enabling realtime award tracking for VUCC can be used in the pursuit of FFMA:

1. Any 6m grid "needed" for VUCC will also be "needed" for FFMA -- so the user pursuing FFMA but not VUCC can highlight needed FFMA grids in SpotCollector by filtering the Spot Database Display with the SQL expression

(Needed LIKE '*G*') and (DXCCPREFIX='K')

2. The Log Page Display can be filtered to contain worked-but-unconfirmed 6m QSOs whose continental US grid squares are "unworked" for VUCC with this SQL expression:

(Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K') and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W'))

After filtering the Log Page Display with the above expression, click the "Add All" button on the Main window's QSL tab to populate the QSL Queue with these QSOs so that outgoing QSL cards or labels requesting confirmation can be generated.

3. If you are pursuing both FFMA and VUCC, DXKeeper cannot track FFMA award credit granted independently of VUCC award credit granted. If you have no intention of ever pursuing VUCC, however, you could set a QSO's "VUCC verify" item to 'V' to indicate "FFMA award credit granted". Then filtering the "Log Page Display" with the SQL expression

(Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K')

and invoking DXKeeper's VUCC submission generator will produce an FFMA submission comprised of 6m QSOs with stations in the continental US whose gridsquares are confirmed but not yet marked has having been granted (FFMA) award credit.

+ The information above is available via "Tracking Fred Fish Memorial Award (FFMA) Progress" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FFMAAwardTracking

Dave, AA6YQ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-07-10 4:21 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
2. The Log Page Display can be filtered to contain worked-but-unconfirmed 6m QSOs whose continental US grid squares are "unworked" for VUCC with this SQL expression:

(Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K') and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6
FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W'))

This is not complete as VE/VA and XE stations in border grids (EN27,
EN28, EN38, EN48, EN58, EN76, EN82, EN83, EN85, FN02, FN03, FN14, FN24,
FN45, FN46, FN56, FN57, FN65, FN66, FN67, EL15, EL06, EL07, DL98, DL99,
DL88, DL89, DL79, DM70, DM61, DM51, DM41, DM31, DM32, DM22 DM12) also
count for FFMA.

One would need to replace "DCCPrefix='K' with the grid list in the
FFMA Progreess Report (or FFMA.TXT) to be complete.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-07-10 4:21 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
I did manage to get a bunch of DX bureau cards out but stateside is definitely more problematic. I tried the steps you mentioned above and it's still producing foreign and domestic results. Even when I go into the QSL Config's General tab and deselect all awards except FFMA. I thought that would have done what I needed but it doesn't.
There's got to be an easier way of highlighting all, and only, FFMA grids that remain unconfirmed, sending direct cards to users who are not LoTW participants. I tried to do this with the SQL queries that I asked about earlier but no joy.
+ DXLab provides realtime award tracking for the VUCC family of awards; this enables SpotCollector to immediately recognize needed grid squares among stations reported as QRV, enables DXKeeper's "Add Needed" function to populate the QSL queue with unconfirmed QSOs that if confirmed would advance your VUCC award progress, and enables submissions for VUCC award credit to be automatically generated.
+ FFMA is a 6m, continental US subset of the VUCC family of awards. DXLab does not provide realtime award tracking for FFMA, but enabling realtime award tracking for VUCC can be used in the pursuit of FFMA:
1. Any 6m grid "needed" for VUCC will also be "needed" for FFMA -- so the user pursuing FFMA but not VUCC can highlight needed FFMA grids in SpotCollector by filtering the Spot Database Display with the SQL expression
(Needed LIKE '*G*') and (DXCCPREFIX='K')
(Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K') and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W'))
After filtering the Log Page Display with the above expression, click the "Add All" button on the Main window's QSL tab to populate the QSL Queue with these QSOs so that outgoing QSL cards or labels requesting confirmation can be generated.
3. If you are pursuing both FFMA and VUCC, DXKeeper cannot track FFMA award credit granted independently of VUCC award credit granted. If you have no intention of ever pursuing VUCC, however, you could set a QSO's "VUCC verify" item to 'V' to indicate "FFMA award credit granted". Then filtering the "Log Page Display" with the SQL expression
(Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K')
and invoking DXKeeper's VUCC submission generator will produce an FFMA submission comprised of 6m QSOs with stations in the continental US whose gridsquares are confirmed but not yet marked has having been granted (FFMA) award credit.
+ The information above is available via "Tracking Fred Fish Memorial Award (FFMA) Progress" in
Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

2. The Log Page Display can be filtered to contain
worked-but-unconfirmed 6m QSOs whose continental US grid squares are
> "unworked" for VUCC with this SQL expression:
>
> (Band = '6m') and (DXCCPREFIX='K') and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and
VUCCProgress.M6 ='W'))

This is not complete as VE/VA and XE stations in border grids (EN27, EN28, EN38, EN48, EN58, EN76, EN82, EN83, EN85, FN02, FN03, FN14, FN24, FN45, FN46, FN56, FN57, FN65, FN66, FN67, EL15, EL06, EL07, DL98, DL99, DL88, DL89, DL79, DM70, DM61, DM51, DM41, DM31, DM32, DM22 DM12) also count for FFMA.

One would need to replace "DCCPrefix='K' with the grid list in the FFMA Progreess Report (or FFMA.TXT) to be complete.

+ Thanks Joe! I have corrected the SQL expressions in

Dave, AA6YQ

Peter Dougherty

I am indeed pursuing VUCC and FFMA. From earlier, I just did a blanket Bureau Blast of non-US stations who aren't LoTW users. Some were in needed grids, some were in grids already confirmed, but I just sent them all out on Friday at the bureau meeting (the only perq of being a letter sorter in the bureau is we get free outgoing cards, within reason). I only operate from my home station so indeed everything new that I work on 6m will count. I'm still a very long way from FFMA (just 363 as of this morning) but I had some stragglers in there from 2013 and 2015 that I'd just never gotten around to QSLing in the past. Sadly one was a SK.

That FFMA filter did work but it needed to be tweaked to include an expression to exclude LoTW users, and return QSOs before Jan. 1st of this year. The filter (rightly) returned about a half-dozen or so hits of new FFMA grids worked in the last two weeks, where the operator is an LoTW user. I will obviously wait a few weeks before sending for a physical card from them since not everybody uploads to LoTW in rear- or near-real time.

I would still very much love to see a "Realtime" FFMA-needed option in the Check Progress tab, along with an option to include or exclude LoTW users in creating a report. This had been one of those difficult tasks that I ended up putting off for years. But in the end, I have just 19 envelopes going out tomorrow morning. Thank heaven for LoTW is all I have to say.

Peter Dougherty

Edited

One more note that I have to add. I found a couple of interesting anomalies in running this filter from the wiki page. ((Band = '6m') and  ((DXCCPREFIX='K') or (GRIDSQUARE IN ('EN27', 'EN28', 'EN38', 'EN48', 'EN58', 'EN76', 'EN82', 'EN83', 'EN85', 'FN02', 'FN03', 'FN14', 'FN24', 'FN45', 'FN46', 'FN56', 'FN57', 'FN65', 'FN66', 'FN67', 'EL15', 'EL06', 'EL07', 'DL98', 'DL99', 'DL88', 'DL89', 'DL79', 'DM70', 'DM61', 'DM51', 'DM41', 'DM31', 'DM32', 'DM22', 'DM12'))) and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W').

This returned two records that other filtering attempts did not find.
  1. A station that was in a needed grid (FN51, Cape Cod). This QSO was confirmed by LoTW, however the station did not specify a grid in his LoTW setup, therefore FN51 was still officially unconfirmed after three years. DXK showed this initially as confirmed but that query found the issue, and the card is now ready to mail.
  2. A station who specified two grids in his LoTW setup (CN81, the one I worked, and CN91—presumably he was a rover at the time or near the border of the two grids). In this case the QSO was confirmed via LoTW but somehow not shown as confirmed in DXKeeper. But even more interesting, Since he was at the intersection of two grid squares I also now have CN91 confirmed in LoTW as a result, but neither CN81 nor CN91 show up as confirmed in DXKeeper.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am indeed pursuing VUCC and FFMA. From earlier, I just did a blanket Bureau Blast of non-US stations who aren't LoTW users. Some were in needed grids, some were in grids already confirmed, but I just sent them all out on Friday at the bureau meeting (the only perq of being a letter sorter in the bureau is we get free outgoing cards, within reason). I only operate from my home station so indeed everything new that I work on 6m will count. I'm still a very long way from FFMA (just 363 as of this morning) but I had some stragglers in there from 2013 and 2015 that I'd just never gotten around to QSLing in the past. Sadly one was a SK.

That FFMA filter did work but it needed to be tweaked to include an expression to exclude LoTW users, and return QSOs before Jan. 1st of this year.

The filter (rightly) returned about a half-dozen or so hits of new FFMA grids worked in the last two weeks, where the operator is an LoTW user. I will obviously wait a few weeks before sending for a physical card from them since not everybody uploads to LoTW in rear- or near-real time.

I would still very much love to see a "Realtime" FFMA-needed option in the Check Progress tab, along with an option to include or exclude LoTW users in creating a report. This had been one of those difficult tasks that I ended up putting off for years. But in the end, I have just 19 envelopes going out tomorrow morning. Thank heaven for LoTW is all I have to say.

+ Since FFMA is a subset of VUCC, DXLab is already providing realtime award tracking for FFMA.

+ As for including or excluding LoTW users, that's an idiosyncratic requirement that can be handled by appropriately filtering the Log Page Display before directing DXKeeper to generate a progress report or a submission.

+ I have updated the SQL expressions in

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FFMAAwardTracking

+ to include several grid squares that Joe W4TV pointed out were missing, and to reflect the fact that FFMA is a subset of VUCC.

+ Copy/Pasting these expressions into a SpotCollector FFMA filter and two DXKeeper FFMA filters should simplify your future FFMA endeavors.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

One more note that I have to add. I found a couple of interesting anomalies in running this filter from the wiki page. ((Band = '6m') and ((DXCCPREFIX='K') or (GRIDSQUARE IN ('EN27', 'EN28', 'EN38', 'EN48', 'EN58', 'EN76', 'EN82', 'EN83', 'EN85', 'FN02', 'FN03', 'FN14', 'FN24', 'FN45', 'FN46', 'FN56', 'FN57', 'FN65', 'FN66', 'FN67', 'EL15', 'EL06', 'EL07', 'DL98', 'DL99', 'DL88', 'DL89', 'DL79', 'DM70', 'DM61', 'DM51', 'DM41', 'DM31', 'DM32', 'DM22', 'DM12'))) and EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W').

This returned two records that other filtering attempts did not find.

1. A station that was in a needed grid (FN51, Cape Cod). This QSO was confirmed by LoTW, however the station did not specify a grid in his LoTW setup, therefore FN51 was still officially unconfirmed after three years. DXK showed this initially as confirmed but that query found the issue, and the card is now ready to mail.

+ DXKeeper showed the QSO as confirmed for DXCC, but not confirmed for VUCC. It's this term

EXISTS (SELECT VUCCProgress.M6 FROM VUCCProgress WHERE (VUCCProgress.Grid = GRIDSQUARE and VUCCProgress.M6 ='W').

+ in the above SQL expression that locates QSOs that might be confirmed for DXCC, but are not confirmed for VUCC on 6m. This term queries your log's VUCC progress table to see if the QSO's grid square is "worked" instead of "confirmed".

2. A station who specified two grids in his LoTW setup (CN81, the one I worked, and CN91—presumably he was a rover at the time or near the border of the two grids). In this case the QSO was confirmed via LoTW but somehow not shown as confirmed in DXKeeper. But even more interesting, Since he was at the intersection of two grid squares I also now have CN91 confirmed in LoTW as a result, but neither CN81 nor CN91 show up as confirmed in DXKeeper.

+ DXKeeper can capture up to 4 grid squares per QSO. Did the logged QSO specify both grid squares? Right-clicking the QSO and selecting "Update from LoTW" would update the QSO with both grid squares and set their status to "confirmed".

Dave, AA6YQ

Peter Dougherty

I did the update from LoTW and it sure did work; I got credit for CN81 and CN91 now. As for the first one, that's a lot to try and parse and remember for these old braincells.

I've saved this thread and hope I can find it again should I ever need it, but I doubt I will. The issue was that when I first started on 6m all I had was a lossy/crappy M-Squared 5-el Yagi and 100W. I missed an awful lot of grid squares, and because of the complexity (to me, at least) of finding the unconfirmed ones in the log, I just never followed up on the ones who never confirmed via LoTW. Now that I'm over 360 in FFMA I'm starting to take this really seriously so anyone I work in the future who doesn't use LoTW will get a card/SASE mailed to them within a day.

Thanks again for your help, and to Joe as well.

Dave AA6YQ

I did the update from LoTW and it sure did work; I got credit for CN81 and CN91 now. As for the first one, that's a lot to try and parse and remember for these old braincells.

I've saved this thread and hope I can find it again should I ever need it

+ Just search http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ArticleIndex for FFMA

Dave, AA6YQ