Topics

McAfee deleted DXKeeper

Ed Ireland

McAfee deleted DXKeeper saying it was a virus.  When I try to instruct Commander to install DXKeeper, the only option is "Upgrade" but it then says "dxkeeper.exe does not exist:.  How do I reinstall KXKeeper?  I have removed McAfee from my computer.

Thanks,

Ed

McAfee deleted DXKeeper saying it was a virus. When I try to instruct Commander to install DXKeeper, the only option is "Upgrade" but it then says "dxkeeper.exe does not exist:. How do I reinstall KXKeeper? I have removed McAfee from my computer.

+ I'm not familiar with McAfee, but most antimalware applications don't simply delete an application they consider suspicious, they "quarantine it" - meaning that the move the application's files to a specific area. Importantly, they provide the option to restore a quarantined application.

+ This is important because deleting an application's files makes it impossible for Windows to uninstall that application -- a prerequisite to being able to re-install it.

+ I suggest that you contact McAfee Support and ask how to restore DXKeeper. Hopefully they can tell you where the quarantined files were placed, so you can simply move them back to their proper folders.

Ed Ireland

That was my understanding as well, Dave, but McAfee told me the files could not be recovered.  I have the log file backed up.  Should I uninstall all DXLab software including Commander and reinstall everything?

Thanks, Ed

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 4:18 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Gilbert Baron W0MN

This is a clear demonstration of the advantage of image backup.

Note what Dave said here.

+ This is important because deleting an application's files makes it impossible for Windows to uninstall that application -- a prerequisite to being able to re-install it.

Unless McAfee actually did a true uninstall you are likely out of luck.

You could try something like revo uninstaller but it may even be too late for that.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

[...]

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

That was my understanding as well, Dave, but McAfee told me the files could not be recovered.

+ McAfee is hereby added to the "bury it in the desert while wearing gloves" category.

I have the log file backed up. Should I uninstall all DXLab software including Commander and reinstall everything?

+ No!

+ There is no need to make changes to any DXLab application other than DXKeeper.

+ On the Windows Control Panel, click the Programs section's "Uninstall a program" link. Windows will display a list of installed applications. Is DXKeeper present on this list?

+ Important note: if DXKeeper is on the list, don't direct Windows to uninstall it! Such a directive would fail because McAfee deleted the file containing the information Windows employs to perform the uninstallation.

+ The point of checking the list of installed applications is to determine whether McAfee directed Windows to uninstall DXKeeper before deleting it.

+ AA6YQ comments below.

You could try something like revo uninstaller but it may even be too late for that.

+ It's premature to take that step.