Topics

LOTW upload first time

Ted Boerkamp

Hello all....I have just made my first batch upload of 554 contacts to LOTW.

After pressing the sync lotw qsos button , I got message that all 554 were processed, 0 errors.

All good so far...

This is where I am confused....what is the difference between sync lotw qso’s and sync lotw qsl’s??

I pressed that button next and I got back 7 qsl’s processed only!!! 7 log entries updated, 0 errors.

What just happened here? It only matched 7 of 554 Qs I submitted??

Does this mean the other 547 calls never submitted to LOTW to match my submissions?

I am seeing that the 7 entries had both their rcvd and sent status updated to Y.

Do I still have to hit the Update from LOTW button at this point? And what does that do?

I have 2 more batches of logs to submit under other calls and myqthid’s so I want to

understand whats going on.

Any help or quick explanation is most welcome.

Thanks   Ted VE3SS

David Reed

Ted, try syncing again; sometimes it takes as much as 10-15 minutes to process the upload you did.

Good luck & 73 de W5SV Dave

On Oct 13, 2020, at 20:53, Ted Boerkamp <tboerkamp@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Flowers

Hi Ted,

On the LotW page that shows your QSOs, there is a button to show you your most recent QSOs that you have uploaded.

When you see all your uploaded QSOs there, you will get the desired result when you click Sync QSOs in DXKeeper.

When that is completed, Sync QSLs will update DXKeeper with those QSLs from LoTW.

-- 73 de Mike Flowers, K6MKF, NCDXC - "It's about DX!"

On Oct 13, 2020, at 6:53 PM, Ted Boerkamp <tboerkamp@...> wrote:

[...]

iain macdonnell - N6ML

If it was a case of LotW not having processed the entire upload yet, I
think that the result of the "Sync LotW QSOs" operation would not have
shown all 554 processed (as reported in the original post). To be
sure, the OP might check the LotW web interface under "Your Account"
-> "Your Activity", and examine the "Result" of his upload.

It sounds like there's some sort of issue with the uploaded QSOs
that's causing failure to match. Assuming that the QSOs are not very
old (like decades old), I would expect a match rate closer to 50%. As
a total guess, perhaps the QSOs were logged with local time instead of
UTC. Without more history, there's not a lot to go on here.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:09 PM Mike Flowers <@K6MKF> wrote:

[...]

+ "Sync LoTW QSOs" reports the acceptance of QSOs by LoTW since the last time you invoked "Sync LoTW QSOs", and updates your logged
QSOs to reflect that acceptance; each accepted QSO's "LoTW QSL Sent" item is changed from 'U' (meaning "uploaded") to 'Y' (meaning
"yes").

+ "Sync LoTW QSLSs" reports the confirmation of QSOs by LoTW since the last time you invoked "Sync LoTW QSLs", and updates your
logged QSOs to reflect those confirmation; each confirmed QSO's "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item set to 'Y' (meaning "yes").

I pressed that button next and I got back 7 qsl's processed only!!! 7 log entries updated, 0 errors.

What just happened here? It only matched 7 of 554 Qs I submitted??

+ Correct.

Does this mean the other 547 calls never submitted to LOTW to match my submissions?

+ Some of your QSO partners did not submit their QSOs to LoTW, but likely many of the QSOs you submitted do not match what your QSO
partners submitted.

+ Were all 554 of your submitted QSOs made with the same Station Callsign (the callsign you used over the air) and from the same
geographic location?

+ Were these QSOs logged with UTC date/times?

I am seeing that the 7 entries had both their rcvd and sent status updated to Y.

Do I still have to hit the Update from LOTW button at this point?

+ No. All 554 of your submitted QSOs were processed.

And what does that do?

+ The "Update from LoTW" function is described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#Update%20from%20LotW%20button>

I have 2 more batches of logs to submit under other calls and myqthid's so I want to

understand whats going on.

Any help or quick explanation is most welcome.

+ I suggest that you review the reference documentation

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#QSLing%20via%20LotW>

+ and these articles in the task-oriented documentation:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW>

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations>

Ted Boerkamp

Hi Ian.....This batch was the oldest of 3 batches based on my first callsign VE3NKZ and
based on its specific myqthid. The year range is old covering contacts from 1981 to early 1990.
I had hand entered all of this batch and converted local time to UTC where needed.
After the sync lotw qsl button push, I got only 7 log entries updated and 0 errors!!!
I got no notice of any mismatched times etc. Maybe this is legit and they are just too old?
I am not sure what else I can do yet. I am going to read the links that Dave has
Suggested and I may go ahead and try batch 2 to see if the match rate gets better.
My next batch will use a different call and covers years from Mar 90 to Oct 94.
My third batch will use my current call and covers Nov 94 to present day.
All three batches have different myqthids as well.
73 Ted VE3SS

https://www.avg.com

Hi Ian.....This batch was the oldest of 3 batches based on my first callsign VE3NKZ and based on its specific myqthid. The year range is old covering contacts from 1981 to early 1990.

I had hand entered all of this batch and converted local time to UTC where needed.
After the sync lotw qsl button push, I got only 7 log entries updated and 0 errors!!!

+ A very low LoTW QSL rate for QSOs made from 1981 to 1990 is not a definitive indicator of problems, especially if they were all submitted with the same "Station Calsign".

I got no notice of any mismatched times etc.

+ LoTW does not report "mismatched times". The errors that can be reported when you submit QSOs to LoTW are documented here:

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/submitting-qsos/#tqsl-errors>

Maybe this is legit and they are just too old?

+ Given the information you've provided above, that's quite possible. Of the 1783 QSOs I made during 1991 (my first year as a ham), only 90 have been confirmed via LoTW; that's 5%.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Be sure the date pf the certificate you are using covers the dates of the QSOes being uploaded.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Ted Boerkamp

Hi Dave and Ian, Just submitted my second batch of logs using my second call VE3TJB (540 Qsos)
Upload was perfect again. After sync lotw qsos I now got message 626 Qsos processed (How come that many?)
And 539 log entries updated and 88 errors.
I have 1 duplicate qso in log (my fault!)..the rest all from the VE3NKZ group (first group I submitted yesterday)
And they all say "no matching QSO in log".....this error is not listed in the link page you gave me to read
So not sure what this means...can you please explain and let me know how I fix it.
Should I fix these 88 errors and resubmit before hitting the sync lotw qsls button??
Thanks again

Ted VE3SS

[...]

+ "Sync LoTW QSOs" reports all QSO reported by LoTW as "accepted" since the last time you invoked "Sync LoTW QSOs".

And 539 log entries updated and 88 errors.

I have 1 duplicate qso in log (my fault!)..the rest all from the VE3NKZ group (first group I submitted yesterday) And they all say "no matching QSO in log".....this error is not listed in the link page you gave me to read So not sure what this means...can you please explain and let me know how I fix it.

+ "No matching QSO in log" is an error reported by DXKeeper, not LotW. DXKeeper expects that the information reported by LoTW for a QSO exact matches that QSO's information in your log; any discrepancy produces this error message. For example, if you submit a QSO to LoTW whose start time is 00:00:00 Z, then modified the logged QSO's start time to 00:00:01Z, and the invoke "Sync LoTW QSOs", the result will be "no matching QSO in log".

Should I fix these 88 errors and resubmit before hitting the sync lotw qsls button??

+ You should understand why LoTW is reporting information that doesn’t match your logged QSOs before proceeding. Pick one mismatch, and get to the bottom of it. That will likely explain the other 87.

Ted Boerkamp

Hi Dave.....this "No matching QSO in log" error has me stumped. What is DXkeeper comparing my uploaded Qs to?
You say any discrepancy will cause this but that could mean anything!! How am I supposed to know what
has mismatched on 88 Qs??? I have printed off the list of calls and started looking at what I logged.
I cant see anything that I missed or could be interpreted as wrong. One of the Qs I actually confirmed with a qsl card
and the data on the card I received matches my log exactly!!! If my start time is logged a minute off what
the other guy uploaded, is this grounds for this error to pop up??
Why did LOTW report this group of 88 errors (87 no matches error) from my first upload while I was trying to sync the
Second batch I uploaded with my second callsign?
What filter or SQL do I need to get the list of 88 errors appearing on my log screen again?
Thank you for your help..it is appreciated. I am not sure where to look next.
Regards

Ted VE3SS

[...]

+ As I stated in my previous response

"DXKeeper expects that the information reported by LoTW for a QSO exact matches that QSO's information in your log; any discrepancy produces this error message"

< https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/196762>

+ In that response, I provided an example:

"For example, if you submit a QSO to LoTW whose start time is 00:00:00 Z, then modified the logged QSO's start time to 00:00:01Z, and the invoke "Sync LoTW QSOs", the result will be "no matching QSO in log".

You say any discrepancy will cause this but that could mean anything!!

+ The discrepancy can only be in one of the logged items that DXKeeper submits to LotW. The 10 items that DXKeeper submits to LoTW are documented in the second paragraph of this article:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/QSL.htm#QSLing%20via%20LotW>

1. Callsign of the station worked
2. UTC date at which the QSO began
3. UTC time at which the QSO began
4. QSO Mode (mapped to modes accepted by LOTW)
5. QSO Frequency
6. QSO Band
7. QSO receive frequency
8. QSO receive band
9. Satellite name
10, Propagation mode

How am I supposed to know what has mismatched on 88 Qs???

+ As I suggested in my previous response, "Pick one mismatch, and get to the bottom of it. That will likely explain the other 87."

+ Choose one QSO in your log for which DXKeeper reported "no matching QSO in log". Right-click this QSO, and select "Update from LoTW" from the pop-up menu. After the operation completes, navigate to DXKeeper's Databases folder and use Notepad to open the file

LoTW_UpdateSingle_ADI.txt

+ After the <eoh> tag in this file, you will find ADIF fields containing information being reported by LoTW. For example, the TIME_ON and QSO_DATE fields will convey the QSO's start time. In the logged QSO you chose, compare each of the 10 items that DXKeeper sent to LoTW with the information reported by LoTW. Find the mismatch.

I have printed off the list of calls and started looking at what I logged.
I cant see anything that I missed or could be interpreted as wrong. One of the Qs I actually confirmed with a qsl card and the data on the card I received matches my log

exactly!!! If my start time is logged a minute off what the other guy uploaded, is this grounds for this error to pop up??

+ The "no matching QSO in log" message is not reporting a mismatch between what you submitted and what your QSO partner submitted.

+ The "no matching QSO in log" message is reporting a mismatch between the information you submitted to LoTW, and the information LoTW is now reporting to DXKeeper -- which should be identical to what you submitted. If it's not identical, then you either changed the contents of one of those 10 items in the logged QSO after submitting it to LoTW, or the data was corrupted in transmit between DXKeeper and LoTW, or LoTW corrupted the data you submitted.

Why did LOTW report this group of 88 errors (87 no matches error) from my first upload while I was trying to sync the Second batch I uploaded with my second callsign?

+ When you invoked "Sync LoTW QSOs", LoTW reports QSOs newly-confirmed on or after the day you last submitted "Sync LoTW QSOs" - erroneously ignoring the time of the last "Sync LoTW QSOs" invocation that DXKeeper submits with its query to LoTW. Evidently, the QSOs you submitted in your first batch were confirmed on the same day as the QSOs you submitted in your second batch. Ignoring the time of last invocation is a defect in LoTW, but it hasn't been corrected in the ~10 years since I reported it.

+ Furthermore, LoTW is not the source of the "no matching QSO in log" error messages. DXKeeper is displaying this error message because the information being reported by LoTW is inconsistent with the information DXKeeper sent to LoTW, as described above.

What filter or SQL do I need to get the list of 88 errors appearing on my log screen again?
Thank you for your help..it is appreciated. I am not sure where to look next.

+ Focus on debugging a single logged QSOs that generated the "no matching QSO in log" error message, using the steps prescribed above.

Ted Boerkamp

HI Dave...I have done what you asked me to do to figure out what happened causing 88 errors
With No matching qso in log. I selected the first qso in the list and I did the Update from Lotw.
I found the LoTW_UpdateSingle_ADI.txt file and looked at it.
After the <eoh> the only line showing is <APP_LoTW_EOF>
I tried to find more info on this but don’t understand the issue with it.
Any thoughts what has happened here?
73 Ted VE3SS

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

HI Dave...I have done what you asked me to do to figure out what happened causing 88 errors With No matching qso in log. I selected the first qso in the list and I did the Update from Lotw.
I found the LoTW_UpdateSingle_ADI.txt file and looked at it.
After the <eoh> the only line showing is <APP_LoTW_EOF> I tried to find more info on this but don t understand the issue with it.
Any thoughts what has happened here?

* Please attach the file

LoTW_UpdateSingle_ADI.txt

* to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com