Topics

LOTW PASSWORD REMOVAL PLEA FOR DETAILED HELP

Ed

Hello,

in spite of the considerable number of responses to my question on how to remove the password required when I upload QSLs' to  LOTW I simply don't understand how to do it. Some of the terms used in the instructions are confusing to me no mater how often I read them.

 I would appreciate corresponding with anyone who can take the time to talk me through the procedure step by step in exact & agonizing detail, Hi Hi. Attempting to follow the steps often linked to here have not helped.Sending links to the same instructions do not help.

Some of us are just a bit slow. I'm not trying to be combative or snide or a wise guy. I just need help.

Thank you,

Ed W2GHD

in spite of the considerable number of responses to my question on how to remove the password required when I upload QSLs' to LOTW I simply don't understand how to do it. Some of the terms used in the instructions are confusing to me no mater how often I read them.

I would appreciate corresponding with anyone who can take the time to talk me through the procedure step by step in exact & agonizing detail, Hi Hi. Attempting to follow the steps often linked to here have not helped.Sending links to the same instructions do not help.

Some of us are just a bit slow. I'm not trying to be combative or snide or a wise guy. I just need help.

+ Referring to the 10-step procedure in

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/>

+ which is the first step that you find confusing?

Gilbert Baron W0MN

One question here. Do you remember the correct password currently in use? If you do not remember the password that you assigned then you cannot remove it and I think that you will have to get a new certificate.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226N 92.51265 W en34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Ed

Dave,

In a previous post I wrote:

"Searching this forum I find many, many questions on how to remove the password requirement for uploading to LOTW.. It's plain to me I don't understand the procedure.or some of the terms.
Here's what I've been doing.

1. start the TQSL application ... OK

2. select TQSL's Callsign Certificates tab ... OK

3.click on the certificate whose password you wish to remove,  (OK) and then click the Save the callsign certificate for button to the right I select the desktop to place the new file W2GHD.p12 (OK)

4. a Certificate Container Password window will prompt you to enter a password, leave both the New password and Enter again to confirm textboxes empty, and click the Ok button  Left the new password line empty. (OK) Another window opens up. "Enter the password for your active W2GHD callsign certificate.What is the active call sign certificate password? Is it the one I use to sign onto the LOTW website? How do I find it?

Thank you,"

Ed

Gil,

A point of confusion is that I don't understand what password is being referred to.

Ed

g4wjs

On 01/11/2019 14:19, Ed wrote:
Gil,

A point of confusion is that I don't understand what password is being referred to.

Ed
Hi Ed,

when you initially created a signing certificate that you sent to LoTW for authentication you chose to protect it with a password. Such a password is only needed if the certificate is going to be stored in a place accessible to others, since the LoTW signing certificate is normally only held on your own PC such a password is not normally necessary. A certificate with a password has to be authenticated by giving the password every time it is accessed, e.g. when signing a batch of QSOs prior to uploading them to LoTW, and also if you wish to change the certificate properties including removing the protecting password.

If you have lost the password you provided when you initially created the certificate then I believe your only option is to request a new signing certificate from LoTW, that is a straightforward process since it is merely replacement and they already have a record of your original request for authentication. If you request a replacement certificate then leave the password blank this time when you create the new certificate.

The instructions to request a new certificate are here: https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/certreplace/ , note this is different from the instructions to renew an existing certificate which would also require the use of the password you seem to have lost.

P.S. none of this is related in any way to the password used to access the LoTW web site, that password is independent and required in all cases.

Bill

G4WJS.

Joe Subich, W4TV

*What is the active call sign certificate password?* Is it the one I use to sign onto the LOTW website? *How do I find it?*
From Dave's previous e-mail:
<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/>

In both tQSL and the procedure on the LotW web page, all references to
"password" are to the password you created to secure your private key
(certificate). If you use that password to "unlock" the certificate,
save the unlocked certificate to a *.p12 container, then restore the
key from the *.p12 container *without assigning a new password* (as
indicated in step 9 of the procedure referred to in Dave's previous
e-mail), the certificate will be unlocked and tQSL will not need to
prompt for a password when signing and uploading QSO records.

On 2019-11-01 10:17 AM, Ed wrote:
Dave,
In a previous post I wrote:
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

Ed, question #4 as you report it below does not match question #4 in

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/

We'll get nowhere if we're not referencing the same instructions.

Referring to

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/removecertificatepassword/

what is the first step you find confusing?

[...]

+ AA6

A point of confusion is that I don't understand what password is being referred to.

+ The only password used in the removal process is the one associated with your Callsign Certificate -- the password you've to this point had to supply each time you submitted QSOs to LoTW.

Ron KU7Y

It might have saved a lot of misunderstanding if one had been named PASSKEY and the other was PASSWORD.

Hindsight is always so good to think about!

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
Mountain Home, ID DN23dc
CW Ops #1211
QRP ARCI #8829
SOC #2
Idaho DX Association
Ron@...

*What is the active call sign certificate password?* Is it the one I
> use to sign onto the LOTW website? *How do I find it?*

From Dave's previous e-mail:

On 2019-11-01 10:17 AM, Ed wrote:
Dave,

https://www.avg.com