Topics

Lost SC Filters

Jon KM8V

Dave,

I rebooted for a windows update, and when I start everything back up my spotcollector SQL filters have vanished.

Any idea how I might recover them, or do I need to re-create them?

Thanks & 73 de KM8V

I rebooted for a windows update, and when I start everything back up my spotcollector SQL filters have vanished.

+ If you haven't terminated SpotCollector after discovering that your SQL filters are missing, please do the following

1. leave SpotCollector running

2. direct the Launcher to

2a. create a new Workspace named SpotCollectorError, as described in the "Creating a New Workspace" section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

2b. save SpotCollector's Settings to the SpotCollectorError workspace, as described in the "Saving the Windows Registry Settings of One Selected DXLab Application to a Workspace" section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

3. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the Launcher's Workspaces folder's SpotCollectorError folder, place the SpotCollector file this folder contains in a zip archive, attach the zip archive to an email message, and send the email message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

4. terminate SpotCollector

Any idea how I might recover them, or do I need to re-create them?

+ Before this failure occurred, had you directed the Launcher to save all or your DXLab application settings to a Workspace? If so, then direct the Launcher to restore SpotCollector's settings from that Workspace (not from the SpotCollectorError workspace!), as described in the " Loading the Windows Registry with One Selected DXLab Application's Settings from a Workspace" section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

+ If you don't have a Workspace containing all of your DXLab application settings, did you ever direct SpotCollector to save your SQL filters to a file? If so, then depress the CTRL key while clicking one of SpotCollector's user-specified filter buttons in the Filter panel at the bottom of its Main window; this will display the "SpotCollector SQL Filter" window. In that window, click the Restore button and select the file to which you previously saved your SQL fitlers.

Thanks & 73 de KM8V

Jon KM8V

I think the Save/Restore in the filter window is the key going forward. I created an error workspace. It only created one file, and I looked at it - it's got the empty filters (and a few that I've already re-created) in there, no hint of the old ones.

I'll send it if you like, but I suspect it won't be valuable.

I will save the filters to a text file periodically now that I know that is there - I never noticed it before.

Thanks & 73 de KM8V

I think the Save/Restore in the filter window is the key going forward. I created an error workspace. It only created one file, and I looked at it - it's got the empty filters (and a few that I've already re-created) in there, no hint of the old ones.

I'll send it if you like, but I suspect it won't be valuable.

+ I'm seeking clues as to why a Windows 10 update would selectively damage some but not all settings in the Windows Registry. I understand that you've subsequently repaired some of the settings, but please send me the SpotCollector settings file anyway.

I will save the filters to a text file periodically now that I know that is there - I never noticed it before.

+ Better would be to maintain a Workspace that contains all of your DXLab application settings; that would enable you to recover the settings of any of your applications, not just SpotCollector's SQL filters. See the "Saving the Windows Registry Settings of all DXLab Applications to a Workspace" section in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

Dale Drake

Yesterday I also lost my spot collector filters.  I had restarted the PC after a normal shutdown prior to it happening.  I fixed it by reloading my saved workspace file.  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Strange coincidence?

Dale AA1QD

Björn SM7IUN

The same happened to me the other day. I can not say if it was after a restart or happened spontaneously while running.
Although less likely I lean towards the latter since my shack PC has been running around the clock since March last year.

Björn SM7IUN

Den sön 24 jan. 2021 kl 14:10 skrev Dale Drake <daleaa1qd@...>:

Yesterday I also lost my spot collector filters.  I had restarted the PC after a normal shutdown prior to it happening.  I fixed it by reloading my saved workspace file.  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Strange coincidence?

Dale AA1QD

Jim - KR9U

Dave,

Just to let you know, my Spot Collector Filters also disappeared. I can't tell you exactly when. Any forensic information is likely gone by now.

Jim - KR9U

Yesterday I also lost my spot collector filters.  I had restarted the PC after a normal shutdown prior to it happening.  I fixed it by reloading my saved workspace file.  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Strange coincidence?

+ So much for the "Windows 10 Update" theory. Is there an errorlog.txt file in your SpotCollector folder? If so, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

The same happened to me the other day. I can not say if it was after a restart or happened spontaneously while running.
Although less likely I lean towards the latter since my shack PC has been running around the clock since March last year.

+  Is there an errorlog.txt file in your SpotCollector folder? If so, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Just to let you know, my Spot Collector Filters also disappeared. I can't tell you exactly when. Any forensic information is likely gone by now.
+ Is there an errorlog.txt file in your SpotCollector folder? If so, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Chad Kurszewski

I didn't realize it until I saw these mailing list messages, but I lost them too.  This occurred on both my Win7 and Win10 machines.

The only recent entries in my ErrorLog.txt was from my Win10 machine:
2021-01-10 14:53:21.375 > program error 3420 in module SpotDatabaseModule.DoProgressRecomputation, State = 407, Callsign = 9G5AR, SpotBand = 60M, SpotMode = FT8, theCQZone = 35, theRecordCount = 13010: Object invalid or no longer set.
2021-01-10 14:53:21.379 > program error 3420 in module SpotDatabaseModule.FilteredRecomputeProgress: Object invalid or no longer set.
2021-01-10 20:30:42.267 > Common.Terminate: SpotCollector shutdown

The Win7 machine did not have an ErrorLog.txt file.

Fortunately, I did have the filters saved in a file and were easy to restore.

Chad WE9V

I didn't realize it until I saw these mailing list messages, but I lost them too. This occurred on both my Win7 and Win10 machines.

The only recent entries in my ErrorLog.txt was from my Win10 machine:

2021-01-10 14:53:21.375 > program error 3420 in module SpotDatabaseModule.DoProgressRecomputation, State = 407, Callsign = 9G5AR, SpotBand = 60M, SpotMode = FT8, theCQZone = 35, theRecordCount = 13010: Object invalid or no longer set.

2021-01-10 14:53:21.379 > program error 3420 in module SpotDatabaseModule.FilteredRecomputeProgress: Object invalid or no longer set.

+ Thanks, Chad. Those two entries indicate that SpotCollector lost access to its Spot Database while performing a Recompute operation. This is not related to losing SQL filters.

I have sent a new version of SpotCollector to everyone who has reported the "Lost SpotCollector user-defined filters" defect. I believe that this defect has been corrected, but have added protective measures in case I'm wrong. Please let me know how it goes...

KS4S Nyles

Dave,

My filters disappeared the same way. Don't know when it happened, but noticed it on Saturday when I went to use one, then read all the entries here.

I restored the workspace from several months ago for the spotcollector that I had saved and oddly enough, one of the old labels for a filter came back in two slots but nothing else. Looks like I might have lost about 10 o 12 of them.

I can rebuild them, but is it OK to use the same version again. I have the latest 8.8.0 installed.

73,

Nyles KS4S

I have sent a new version of SpotCollector to everyone who has reported the "Lost SpotCollector user-defined filters" defect. I believe that this defect has been corrected, but have added protective measures in case I'm wrong. Please let me know how it goes...

+ AA6yq comments below

My filters disappeared the same way. Don't know when it happened, but noticed it on Saturday when I went to use one, then read all the entries here.

I restored the workspace from several months ago for the spotcollector that I had saved and oddly enough, one of the old labels for a filter came back in two slots but nothing else. Looks like I might have lost about 10 o 12 of them.

+ Using Windows Explorer, please navigate to the Launcher's Workspaces folder, and from there to the folder whose name matches the Workspace from which you unsuccessfully attempted to recover your SQL filters. In that folder, you will find a file name SpotCollector; please place this file in zip archive, attach the zip archive to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

I can rebuild them, but is it OK to use the same version again. I have the latest 8.8.0 installed.

+ I have send you the new version of SpotCollector with the SQL filter setting-eating defect hopefully repaired.