Logging with SDR Console - Modify Log with an Script

df6dbf@...

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 01:20 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/Configuration.htm#Transverters%20tab
Hello Dave,
i had finally finished my work at my QO-100 Setup.I prefer the Way to modify the QSOs later with an Script. So i use the following lines in my Script.

Filter Band = '3cm' - to select the QSOs logged with 10,489,xxx MHz.
Modify PROP_MODE SAT - Set the Propagation Mode
Modify SAT_NAME QO-100 give the Satellite the right Name
Modify BAND_RX 3cm - Set the RX Band
Modify FREQ_RX <FREQ> - Set the TX Frequency equal to RX.
Modify Band 13cm - Set the TX Band

but stuck on Substract the RX/TX Offset 8089,5MHz from the FREQ Item to get the correct TX Frequency.

Modify <FREQ> -8089,500 - wont work

Had tried some other variants but no one worked.

Any Solution?

Kind Regards and 73

Holger, DF6DBF

Joe Subich, W4TV

Modify <FREQ> -8089,500 - wont work
Try changing the comma in 8089,500 to a period. You may be
running into an internationalization issue (, used for decimal
separator in EU - . used in NA and scripting not being aware
of the local language settings).

On 2021-09-07 2:26 PM, df6dbf@darc.de wrote:
[...]

Hello Folks,
after trying some other Variants but i think its a Bug in DXKeeper caused by decimation.

Here in Germany i got the TX Freq of 10.489,540MHz (for FT8 on QO-100) and had to substract 8089,5 MHz.

DXKeeper is handling - 8089,5 and - 8089.5 as string and not as Number.

Please have a look.

73s Holger

after trying some other Variants but i think its a Bug in DXKeeper caused by decimation.

Here in Germany i got the TX Freq of 10.489,540MHz (for FT8 on QO-100) and had to substract 8089,5 MHz.

DXKeeper is handling - 8089,5 and - 8089.5 as string and not as Number.

Please have a look.

+ Please post the script so that I can "have a look".

df6dbf@...

Filter Band = '3cm'
Modify PROP_MODE SAT
Modify SAT_NAME QO-100
Modify BAND_RX 3cm
Modify FREQ_RX <FREQ>
Modify Freq - 8089,5
Modify BAND 13cm

73s Holger

Filter Band = '3cm'
Modify PROP_MODE SAT
Modify SAT_NAME QO-100
Modify BAND_RX 3cm
Modify FREQ_RX <FREQ>
Modify Freq - 8089,5
Modify BAND 13cm

+ The Modify script command cannot perform arithmetic adjustments on each QSO's Freq item. As documented here

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Scripts.htm

+ that capability is limited to QSO_Begin and QSO_End items.

+ You can apply arithmetic adjustments en masse to each QSO's Freq item using the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window's "Modify QSOs" panel, as described here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/ModifyLog.htm

+ Keep in mind that frequencies must be specified in megahertz.

df6dbf@...

Ok, so please take it as sugesstion for future releases. It would be helpfull for OMs who operates on QO-100.

73, Holger - DF6DBF

Ok, so please take it as sugesstion for future releases. It would be helpfull for OMs who operates on QO-100.

+ Please explain why using QO-100 makes this capability necessary.

Joe Subich, W4TV

I suspect DXKeeper/Commander is reporting/recording the transmit
frequency from the transceiver and *NOT* recording the receive
frequency from SDR Console (Secondary CAT Serial Port).

QO-100 uplink is 2.4 GHz, downlink is 10 GHz ... mode "SX".
Typical operation would be separate transmitter and receiver -
transmitter controlled by Commander, receiver using an SDR
with its own console software. I do not know if SatPC can
control separate transceiver (transmitter) and SDR Console.

On 2021-09-09 10:25 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Ok, so please take it as sugesstion for future releases. It would be
helpfull for OMs who operates on QO-100.
+ Please explain why using QO-100 makes this capability necessary.

I suspect DXKeeper/Commander is reporting/recording the transmit
frequency from the transceiver and *NOT* recording the receive
frequency from SDR Console (Secondary CAT Serial Port).

QO-100 uplink is 2.4 GHz, downlink is 10 GHz ... mode "SX".
Typical operation would be separate transmitter and receiver -
transmitter controlled by Commander, receiver using an SDR
with its own console software. I do not know if SatPC can
control separate transceiver (transmitter) and SDR Console

+ Let's see what Holger DF6DBF has to say, but if your description is accurate, shouldn't the focus be on capturing the correct RX frequency when the QSO is logged, rather than on correcting a batch of logged QSOs after the fact? For example, Commander could be extended to optionally compute the RX frequency conveyed to DXKeeper by adding a user specified offset to the TX frequency.

df6dbf@...

I have to say that DXlab is very flexible and powerfull on Shortwave and VHF/UHF. And i go with Dave with his Opinion to make no "Workarounds" to fix 3rd-Party Software Problems!

Let me explain my QO-100 Setup (you can see a Schematic Diagram on my Account on qrz.com). Of course there are many other Ways to work QO-100 but my Solutions is very common.

The main Part of my QO-100 Station is a "Adalm Pluto", a SDR-Learning Device from Analog Devices, modified to my needs.
I receiving the Narrowband-Transponder on the 3cm-Band 10.489,000 - 10.489,500 GHz. The LNB in the Dish Antenna converts this very High Frequency to 739,000 - 739,500 MHz. As SDR-Frontend i use SDR Console from Simon. The Console adds 9750MHz, so you had the correct readout of the real Frequency.

On the TX-Side we need 2400,000 - 2400,500 MHz (13cm Band). The PlutoSDR is working direct on 2,4 GHz, here is no Transverter needed.

To work "tranceive" the SDR-Console is adding 8089,5 MHz. So you had on RX and TX a readout of 10.489,xxx MHz. And this is the only Frequency SDR-Console transmits via CAT to DXLab. :( I am Ham Since 1989 and use CAT-capable Transceivers over more than 20 Years but i have never seen a TRX with separate RX and TX-Freqencys on the CAT-Port)

To Log the QSOs correct for the LOTW you have to add the Propagation Mode SAT and the Name of the Satellite, any you need the correct TX Band or the Frequency, in this Case 13cm or 2400MHz!

So it makes in my Opinion Sense to modify the QSOs for valid QSLing via LOTW with a script.

Of course, enhance the Commander is also a way.

Sorry for my bad English!

73s Holger, DF6DBF

[...]

+ Most modern transceivers that support split frequency operation between VFO A and VFO B can independently report both RX and TX frequencies via CAT, as can modern transceivers with "Dual Watch" or dual receivers. When you log a QSO to DXKeeper when operating split, both RX and TX frequencies are correctly recorded.

To Log the QSOs correct for the LOTW you have to add the Propagation Mode SAT and the Name of the Satellite, any you need the correct TX Band or the Frequency, in this Case 13cm or 2400MHz!

So it makes in my Opinion Sense to modify the QSOs for valid QSLing via LOTW with a script.

Of course, enhance the Commander is also a way.

+ I prefer enhancing Commander, as it would log the QSO correctly rather than require the user to remember to later run a script. One "downside" is that a user may forget to disable the offset after completing a satellite pass; a visible indication on Commander's Main window would be required to reduce the chances of this happening. Are there other "downsides"?

df6dbf@...

In the SDR Console it is rather not a split operation because the transmitter works completely independently. Even in full duplex, as requested on QO-100. I had a short look, SDR console does not give me the frequency for VFO "B". This satellite is in geostationary orbit.

73, Holger

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-09-09 1:32 PM, df6dbf@darc.de wrote:
In the SDR Console it is rather not a split operation because the transmitter works completely independently.
The very definition of split operation is that the transmit and receive
frequencies are independent - even if working full duplex.

The question is for Simon Brown to provide data on both transmit
and receive frequencies. Assuming Commander is using Kenwood
emulation, SDR Console should at a minimum respond to FA; FB; and
IF; inquiries and parameter P12 of the IF; response should indicate
"Split" if FA (receive frequency) and FB (transmit frequency) are
not the same.

I had a short look, SDR console does not give me the frequency for
VFO "B".
How do you control the transmit frequency if you can not access VFO "B"?

On 2021-09-09 1:32 PM, df6dbf@darc.de wrote:
In the SDR Console it is rather not a split operation because the transmitter works completely independently. Even in full duplex, as requested on QO-100. I had a short look, SDR console does not give me the frequency for VFO "B". This satellite is in geostationary orbit.
73, Holger

df6dbf@...

+ How do you control the transmit frequency if you can not access VFO "B"?

SDR Console had its own "Sync" Control for Frequency and Mode. As mentioned before, the Transmitter is completely independent.

73, Holger

Joe Subich, W4TV

As mentioned before, the Transmitter is completely independent.
There should still be a way to set frequency and mode both from the
user interface *and* any logging software.

Again, the issue is for Simon Brown to provide SET/GET support for
both transmit and receive frequencies. Assuming Commander is using
Kenwood emulation, SDR Console should at a minimum respond to FA;
(SET/GET VFO A), FB; (SET/GET VFO B), IF; (GET operating frequency,
mode, split status, XIT/RIT status, etc.) and probably FR (Receive
from VFO A, VFO B or "memory channel" and FT (Transmit from VFO A,
VFO B or "memory channel). Parameter P12 of the IF; response should
indicate "Split" if FR and FB do not select the same (VFO A, VFO B,
memory channel) source.

With completely independent TX and RX frequencies, Commander has
no way to "calculate" the TX frequency from the RX frequency or
the reverse (RX frequency from the TX frequency). One could assume
an 8089.5 MHz difference in the case of QO-100 and mode "SX" but
that is only approximate due to Doppler and would not necessarily
be correct for any other potential "mode SX" satellite.

On 2021-09-09 3:56 PM, df6dbf@darc.de wrote:
+ How do you control the transmit frequency if you can not access VFO "B"?
SDR Console had its own "Sync" Control for Frequency and Mode. As mentioned before, the Transmitter is completely independent.
73, Holger

df6dbf@...

I compared the behavior of my two CAT transceivers. My IC-7300 sends both VFOs to DXLabs Commander. The SDR console, however, only VFO A. I have also not found a way to change this behavior of the SDR console.

In my opinion there are two possible approaches:

- Commander: "Fake" VFO B and extend the transverter control.

- DXKeeper: Extension of the script function to calculate the frequencies afterwards.

73s Holger, DF6DBF

Joe Subich, W4TV

This is an issue for Simon Brown - proper reporting of both transmit
and receive frequencies in SDR Console.

On 2021-09-12 4:37 AM, df6dbf@darc.de wrote:
I compared the behavior of my two CAT transceivers. My IC-7300 sends both VFOs to DXLabs Commander. The SDR console, however, only VFO A. I have also not found a way to change this behavior of the SDR console.
In my opinion there are two possible approaches:
- Commander: "Fake" VFO B and extend the transverter control.
- DXKeeper: Extension of the script function to calculate the frequencies afterwards.
73s Holger, DF6DBF

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments comments below
I compared the behavior of my two CAT transceivers. My IC-7300 sends both VFOs to DXLabs Commander. The SDR console, however, only VFO A. I have also not found a way to change this behavior of the SDR console.

In my opinion there are two possible approaches:

- Commander: "Fake" VFO B and extend the transverter control.

- DXKeeper: Extension of the script function to calculate the frequencies afterwards.

+ Does the "Modify QSOs" panel on the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window enable you to correct your logged QO-100 RX frequencies?

df6dbf@...

Does the "Modify QSOs" panel on the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window enable you to correct your logged QO-100 RX frequencies?

Yes it does, but it would be more convenient if I could change all of the day's QSO in one batch. My script does it, except for calculating the real transmission frequency. There are many ways to work successfully on QO-100. In my opinion, extending the script function would be the easiest and most flexible way for the user. Completely regardless of whether the radios used in each case always provide the correct data in each individual case.

73s Holger, DF6DBF