Topics

Logging Field Day QSOs when directly interoperating with WSJT-X


Dave AA6YQ
 

After configuring WSJT-X as described in step 3 of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ARRLFieldDay>

I just made a few FT8 QSOs. These QSOs were logged with a Contest ID items set to

ARRL-FIELD-DAY

and their "rx info" items set to my QSO partner's exchange (e.g. 1D WCF). Though my exchange is specified in the "FD Exch" section
of the WSJT-X "Special operating activity" panel, it was not logged with each QSO.; after Field Day, this could quickly be rectified
"en masse" using the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window's "Modify QSOs" tab.

The surprise: WSJT-X automatically logged each QSO without my having to click OK in its Log window.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


g4wjs
 

On 27/06/2020 23:01, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
The surprise: WSJT-X automatically logged each QSO without my having to click OK in its Log window.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Dave,

this allowed in contest modes. "Settings->Reporting->Log automatically (contesting only)". The Log QSO dialog will only pop up if there is a problem with the log entry.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

this allowed in contest modes. "Settings->Reporting->Log automatically (contesting only)". The Log QSO dialog will only pop up if there is a problem with the log entry.

+ Thanks, Bill; I did have that setting enabled, but had forgotten about it.

+ Why was my side of the exchange not logged with each QSO?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


g4wjs
 

On 27/06/2020 23:13, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

this allowed in contest modes. "Settings->Reporting->Log automatically (contesting only)". The Log QSO dialog will only pop up if there is a problem with the log entry.

+ Thanks, Bill; I did have that setting enabled, but had forgotten about it.

+ Why was my side of the exchange not logged with each QSO?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Dave,

do you use the QSO Logged UDP message or the Logged ADIF UDP message to capture logged QSOs? Do you have Tab 1 messages enabled in WSJT-X?

73
Bill
G4WJS.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

do you use the QSO Logged UDP message or the Logged ADIF UDP message to capture logged QSOs?

+ "Logged ADIF" (MessageType 12)

Do you have Tab 1 messages enabled in WSJT-X?

+ I am using the TX messages on Tab 1, which do include my class and section.

+ If there's a "Tab 1 messages enabled" checkbox, I'm not aware of its location in the application, and see no reference to it in the "2.2 User's Guide".

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


g4wjs
 

On 28/06/2020 00:04, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

do you use the QSO Logged UDP message or the Logged ADIF UDP message to capture logged QSOs?

+ "Logged ADIF" (MessageType 12)

Do you have Tab 1 messages enabled in WSJT-X?

+ I am using the TX messages on Tab 1, which do include my class and section.

+ If there's a "Tab 1 messages enabled" checkbox, I'm not aware of its location in the application, and see no reference to it in the "2.2 User's Guide".

73,

Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Dave,

there's no enable other than having the Tab 1 messages selected.

The Logged ADIF message only has the de station's class in the RST_SENT field, I'm not even sure that is right. Do you know what ADIF field is the right on to include the DE station's ARRL/RAC section, or indeed their FD class? I think that if a FD log is uploaded to the ARRL then the DE stations class and section are only in the header.

The UDP message QSO Logged does include the "Exchange sent" and "Exchange received" fields which contain the same as those fields on the Log QSO dialog.

73
Bill
G4WJS.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

The Logged ADIF message only has the de station's class in the RST_SENT field, I'm not even sure that is right.

+ Yes, I see that now that you point it out. In my opinion, that's not appropriate.

Do you know what ADIF field is the right on to include the DE station's ARRL/RAC section, or indeed their FD class? I think that if a FD log is uploaded to the ARRL then the DE stations class and section are only in the header. The "header" to which you refer appears in a Cabrillo log, not an ADIF file.

+ The ARRL does not process submitted Field Day logs; it just wants evidence that the user made an effort to prevent duplicate QSOs.

The UDP message QSO Logged does include the "Exchange sent" and "Exchange received" fields which contain the same as those fields on the Log QSO dialog.

+ Here's what was logged to DXKeeper using WSJT-X 2.2.2:

RST_SENT: my class

RST_RCVD: my QSO partner's class

CONTEST_ID: ARRL-FIELD-DAY

ARRL-SECT: my QSO partner's ARRL section

STX: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "tx #")

SRX: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "rx #")

STX_STRING: my QSO partner's class and ARRL section (DXKeeper labels this item "tx info")

SRX_STRING: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "rx info")


+ My advice (See #8 below)

1. don't misuse RST_SENT; use it to record the SNR sent

2. don't misuse of RST_RCVD; use it to record the SNR rcvd

3. continue to record the transmitted exchange (class and section) in STX_STRING

4. record the received exchange (class and section) in SRX_STRING

5. continue to record ARRL-FIELD-DAY in CONTEST_ID

6. continue to record the received ARRL Section in ARRL_SECT

7. continue to leave STX and SRX blank (since they are of integer data type; they can be used to record serial numbers in contests that employ them)

8. Confer with Tom N1MM before making changes.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


g4wjs
 

On 28/06/2020 00:53, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

The Logged ADIF message only has the de station's class in the RST_SENT field, I'm not even sure that is right.

+ Yes, I see that now that you point it out. In my opinion, that's not appropriate.

Do you know what ADIF field is the right on to include the DE station's ARRL/RAC section, or indeed their FD class? I think that if a FD log is uploaded to the ARRL then the DE stations class and section are only in the header. The "header" to which you refer appears in a Cabrillo log, not an ADIF file.

+ The ARRL does not process submitted Field Day logs; it just wants evidence that the user made an effort to prevent duplicate QSOs.

The UDP message QSO Logged does include the "Exchange sent" and "Exchange received" fields which contain the same as those fields on the Log QSO dialog.

+ Here's what was logged to DXKeeper using WSJT-X 2.2.2:

RST_SENT: my class

RST_RCVD: my QSO partner's class

CONTEST_ID: ARRL-FIELD-DAY

ARRL-SECT: my QSO partner's ARRL section

STX: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "tx #")

SRX: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "rx #")

STX_STRING: my QSO partner's class and ARRL section (DXKeeper labels this item "tx info")

SRX_STRING: <blank> (DXKeeper labels this item "rx info")


+ My advice (See #8 below)

1. don't misuse RST_SENT; use it to record the SNR sent

2. don't misuse of RST_RCVD; use it to record the SNR rcvd

3. continue to record the transmitted exchange (class and section) in STX_STRING

4. record the received exchange (class and section) in SRX_STRING

5. continue to record ARRL-FIELD-DAY in CONTEST_ID

6. continue to record the received ARRL Section in ARRL_SECT

7. continue to leave STX and SRX blank (since they are of integer data type; they can be used to record serial numbers in contests that employ them)

8. Confer with Tom N1MM before making changes.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Dave,

thanks for the useful comments and suggestions. I wonder why you do not recommend using the CLASS ADIF field for the DX station's FD class, it seems specifically for that purpose. For FD no report is received, so I assume your recommendation is to leave that ADIF field blank. Given that the ADIF specification says that specific ADIF fields override SRX_STRING and STX_STRING, it would seem unwise to populate SRX_STRING for FD when there are specific fields CLASS and ARRL_SECT that would override.



--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


Dave AA6YQ
 

* more AA6YQ comments below

thanks for the useful comments and suggestions. I wonder why you do not recommend using the CLASS ADIF field for the DX station's FD class, it seems specifically for that purpose.

* You're correct, Bill; the QSO's class should be exported to the CLASS ADIF field.

For FD no report is received, so I assume your recommendation is to leave that ADIF field blank. Given that the ADIF specification says that specific ADIF fields override SRX_STRING and STX_STRING, it would seem unwise to populate SRX_STRING for FD when there are specific fields CLASS and ARRL_SECT that would override.

* I see no harm in always populating SRX_STRING and STX_STRING with the received and transmitted exchanges, respectively.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ