Topics

Logging contest QSOs

w3qt_mike

I’m not a contester, but I do make some contest contacts while hunting for needed prefixes.  I feel obliged to send in a checklog to help those stations I work.  I have a question concerning how one reports the exchange, in this case for the ARRL DX Contest.  If the other station sends the simple cut number “NN” denoting 100 watts, does that get logged and submitted as “NN,” 100W, or doesn’t it matter how it gets reported.  I’d like to give the guy the point but am uncertain if I should translate and log the numeric number or enter exactly what was sent.  Thanks for any advice.

73,

Mike, W3QT

Jim Wysocki

Mike, log what you heard and not what you think he meant.  In this case the other guy sent "99" so it would be a mismatch if you logged it as "100".  It's a busted QSO on your side and you don't get credit for a QSO with him.  However if the other guy recorded your information exactly as you sent it, he gets credit for the QSO with you.

73, Jim  W9FI

On 2/20/2021 10:11 AM, w3qt_mike wrote:

I’m not a contester, but I do make some contest contacts while hunting for needed prefixes.  I feel obliged to send in a checklog to help those stations I work.  I have a question concerning how one reports the exchange, in this case for the ARRL DX Contest.  If the other station sends the simple cut number “NN” denoting 100 watts, does that get logged and submitted as “NN,” 100W, or doesn’t it matter how it gets reported.  I’d like to give the guy the point but am uncertain if I should translate and log the numeric number or enter exactly what was sent.  Thanks for any advice.

73,

Mike, W3QT

w3qt_mike

Thanks Jim.  Always been a little confusing to me since I don’t work many contests.  Appreciate your reply.

73,

Mike, W3QT

[...]

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 9:11 AM w3qt_mike <w3qt@comcast.net> wrote:

I’m not a contester, but I do make some contest contacts while hunting for needed prefixes. I feel obliged to send in a checklog to help those stations I work. I have a question concerning how one reports the exchange, in this case for the ARRL DX Contest. If the other station sends the simple cut number “NN” denoting 100 watts, does that get logged and submitted as “NN,” 100W, or doesn’t it matter how it gets reported. I’d like to give the guy the point but am uncertain if I should translate and log the numeric number or enter exactly what was sent. Thanks for any advice.
You'll get different opinions on this. My opinion is that someone
sending "-. -." is not sending "NN", rather they are sending a CW
short form representation of "99". I always roll my eyes when I see
cluster spots with comments like "Thanks for 5NN!" (derp). 99 is 99,
not 100 - you should log 99.

In any case, if you're just submitting a checklog, it doesn't matter
if you get his/her exchange right or not - all that matters if that
the QSO is in your log along with the exchange that you sent. If the
other station wants credit for the QSO in the contest, *s/he* has to
have logged *your* exchange correctly.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Ron KU7Y

Hi Mike,

ARRL will accept either NN or 99. But note that 99 is NOT 100w.

Sending either a check log or a regular log is the right thing to do.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Mountain Home, ID  DN23dc

CW Ops #1211

BUG USERS #189

SKCC #4904

QRP ARCI #8829

SOC #2

Idaho DX Association

Ron@...

I’m not a contester, but I do make some contest contacts while hunting for needed prefixes.  I feel obliged to send in a checklog to help those stations I work.  I have a question concerning how one reports the exchange, in this case for the ARRL DX Contest.  If the other station sends the simple cut number “NN” denoting 100 watts, does that get logged and submitted as “NN,” 100W, or doesn’t it matter how it gets reported.  I’d like to give the guy the point but am uncertain if I should translate and log the numeric number or enter exactly what was sent.  Thanks for any advice.

73,

Mike, W3QT

w3qt_mike

Thanks Ron.  I had read somewhere that, unlike NN in a sig a report, NN was a contest shortcut for sending 100.  Glad you clarified.

73,

Mike, W3QT

I’m not a contester, but I do make some contest contacts while hunting for needed prefixes.  I feel obliged to send in a checklog to help those stations I work.  I have a question concerning how one reports the exchange, in this case for the ARRL DX Contest.  If the other station sends the simple cut number “NN” denoting 100 watts, does that get logged and submitted as “NN,” 100W, or doesn’t it matter how it gets reported.  I’d like to give the guy the point but am uncertain if I should translate and log the numeric number or enter exactly what was sent.  Thanks for any advice.

73,

Mike, W3QT

w3qt_mike

Iain, I only submit checklogs, so thanks for the clarification. That's helpful. While my single point probably won't make a difference with contest outcomes, I think the other guy deserves something for the comeback. Thanks again.

73,
Mike, W3QT

[...]

+ Just a reminder that if you plan to submit a Cabrillo check log, be sure to consult the large table in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Contesting.htm

+ to see how to correctly log the contest's exchange; then log a few test QSOs and generate a test Cabrillo log to confirm that all is well. It's a lot easier to adjust your logging practice before the contest than to move information from one logged item to another in all of your contest QSOs after the contest is over. In some cases, recovery might not be possible.

+ In my dreams, the contesting world will discard Cabrillo and adopt ADIF, which would eliminate this gratuitous complexity.

w3qt_mike

Thanks Dave.  I took your advice from some of your previous posts and ran the test file generation before I started.  What’s that about an ounce of prevention ….?

73,

Mike, W3QT

[...]

I saw a post on the ARRL Contest forum last week that said log what your hear and their log check software does the conversion.

Bob AF9W

I saw a post on the ARRL Contest forum last week that said log what your hear and their log check software does the conversion.

Bob AF9W

w3qt_mike

Thanks Bob.  Easy enough.

73,