Log Transcription Features?

Jon Gefaell

My friend has 8 complete paper logbooks, and 2 others in progress. He also has probably a couple of thousand cards. The time has come to transcribe those logs and reap his due rewards.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a document in the wiki that explains how to manage all of this, but here are my thoughts.

When entering old contacts into DXK, it's pretty straightforward, but could be easier in a significant way. Would it be possible to auto separate the date and time fields? That is, to include static slash and colon separators that could be tabbed or automatically moved across when typing the date? 

As well the ability to retain the previously logged mode and the band as prefilled default entries in a new log record would be amazingly helpful. Jay, K4AZV keeps his 6M log separately. And he only works SSB on all bands, so that field is essentially hardwired in his log. Perhaps these could be implemented as a 'Transcription' section of the settings to make it user selectable behavior?

Thank you always

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

My friend has 8 complete paper logbooks, and 2 others in progress. He also has probably a couple of thousand cards. The time has come to transcribe those logs and reap his due rewards.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a document in the wiki that explains how to manage all of this, but here are my thoughts.

When entering old contacts into DXK, it's pretty straightforward, but could be easier in a significant way. Would it be possible to auto separate the date and time fields? That is, to include static slash and colon separators that could be tabbed or automatically moved across when typing the date? 

As well the ability to retain the previously logged mode and the band as prefilled default entries in a new log record would be amazingly helpful. Jay, K4AZV keeps his 6M log separately. And he only works SSB on all bands, so that field is essentially hardwired in his log. Perhaps these could be implemented as a 'Transcription' section of the settings to make it user selectable behavior?

+ See "Logging COmpleted QSOs via the Main Window" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm

+ Ops who have used both this and the "Fast Log Entry" (FLE) application report that once they were familiar with DXKeeper's keyboard shortcuts, entering "already completed" QSOs with DXKeeper was the faster than with FLE. They also pointed out that DXKeeper catches errors during entry that would only be detected when importing the ADIF file generated by FLE.

Dave, AA6YQ

Jim Wysocki

That was my experience as well.  FLE was a good utility program, but DXK worked out better in the end.

73,  Jim  W9FI

On 5/7/2021 5:12 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Ops who have used both this and the "Fast Log Entry" (FLE) application report that once they were familiar with DXKeeper's keyboard shortcuts, entering "already completed" QSOs with DXKeeper was the faster than with FLE. They also pointed out that DXKeeper catches errors during entry that would only be detected when importing the ADIF file generated by FLE.

Dave, AA6YQ

Jon Gefaell

I had to laugh because as I predicted, I was certain there was a detailed wiki page on *exactly* how to do it, and how DX Lab does it right. DX Lab Suite is simply DX Canon. Biblical. Thank you, Dave!

I've relayed this to my friend and will visit them to help us better understand and implement this. Some background on my friend, he and his wife (Also has DXCC/VUCC and many uncounted logs) live in the backwoods for decades, on solar energy, composting toilet, mostly homegrown and raised produce and meats, the rest largely local as well. There is no power, telephone, plumbing, and all that good stuff. 

Radio is an exquisite part of their lives out there, as you can imagine. They have a separate energy system (panels, controller, batteries, etc) for the station and a larger one for the house. How cool is that? 

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 05:12 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

Norm_W4QN

An Alternative Solution -
Many of us who had years of paper logs filled before adopting Computer Logging and have had to address this problem of transcription.  There are some who want to transcribe every paper QSO, and others who "cherry picked" those logs to collect Award significant QSO's.  (note - DXCC QSO's prior to ARRL adopting computer DXCC record keeping, the Call and other details were not included in their transcription, and DXCC credit is acknowledged only by the DXCCID number. However entering a Confirmed QSO in your log will then allow DXLab Progress Report for DXCC credit to  track LotW records.  I think this only applies to QSOs before 1982, and the advent of DXCC computer record keeping.) 
I found that direct entry into DXLab was tedious and not flexible, but if you can 'hire' a young student and typist to do the work it can be efficient and is an often suggested solution.

However there are other alternatives and I chose to create an EXCEL spreadsheet for entering basic QSO data and algorithms to convert those data into ADIF format which then could be easily IMPORTED into DXKeeper. ,
What data to be entered is somewhat dependent on the end objective for this effort.  Mine was simple, DXCC credits, Mode and Band; and WAZ candidates,  Of course Date, Time and Call are essential as well.  (Note some awards did not exist prior to 1975, e.g. CW DXCC) 

Why create a spreadsheet?  Ease of entry, Copy and Paste, Copy Down, Create Dates and time, these tools and the many others available can make this chore much less frustrating.  BTW hiring that young typist to do the work works here even better - little to learn for them as most are familiar with spreadsheets.

The form of this tool is basic and essentially the same, however the content (data categories) can be, and usually is customized and to add categories will require some knowledge of ADIF nomenclature and architecture to conform with the rules of ADIF and EXCEL tools for Linking statements.

For anyone interested in exploring this tool contact me directly and we can evaluate your objective and the compatibility of what is available in the spreadsheet.
(note, others have created spreadsheet tools using similar techniques)

Norm W4QN

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
An Alternative Solution -
Many of us who had years of paper logs filled before adopting Computer Logging and have had to address this problem of transcription.  There are some who want to transcribe every paper QSO, and others who "cherry picked" those logs to collect Award significant QSO's.  (note - DXCC QSO's prior to ARRL adopting computer DXCC record keeping, the Call and other details were not included in their transcription, and DXCC credit is acknowledged only by the DXCCID number. However entering a Confirmed QSO in your log will then allow DXLab Progress Report for DXCC credit to  track LotW records.  I think this only applies to QSOs before 1982, and the advent of DXCC computer record keeping.) 
I found that direct entry into DXLab was tedious and not flexible, but if you can 'hire' a young student and typist to do the work it can be efficient and is an often suggested solution.

However there are other alternatives and I chose to create an EXCEL spreadsheet for entering basic QSO data and algorithms to convert those data into ADIF format which then could be easily IMPORTED into DXKeeper. 

+ DXKeeper can directly import tab-delimited files exported from a spreadsheet application, so there is no need for conversion to ADIF. See "Importing ADIF and Tab-Delimited Files" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Import.htm

+ The downside of this technique that a spreadsheet application won't detect and report many data entry errors as you're recording QSOs. Such errors will only be reported when you import the tab-delimited file, often requiring you to revisit the paper log in order to obtain the information required to correct the errors. 

Dave, AA6YQ