Topics

Log to DXKeeper on one computer from a remote WSJT-X instance on a separate computer

Craig Sharp

I have DXLabs loaded on my main shack computer.  I use Win4Icom in remote mode on the shack computer.  All control functions for the radio come from my Surface which is remote on the same LAN as the shack computer.  The surface also has WSJT-X loaded and running.  It works great and I can operate anywhere in the house.

Note that Win4Icom uses virtual CAT connections via a client/server architecture.   I am not using a product like Teamviewer or Splashtop.

Here is the problem. 

If I run WSJT-X on the shack computer, all logging works fine into DXKeeper from WSJT-X on the same computer. 
If I am running WSJT-X on my remote (surface), I cannot figure out how to log to DXKeeper on the shack computer as DXKeeper is on a separate host.

Has anyone been able to log from a remote host to DXKeeper and if so, how did you do it?

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I have DXLabs loaded on my main shack computer. I use Win4Icom in remote mode on the shack computer. All control functions for the radio come from my Surface which is remote on the same LAN as the shack computer. The surface also has WSJT-X loaded and running. It works great and I can operate anywhere in the house.

Note that Win4Icom uses virtual CAT connections via a client/server architecture. I am not using a product like Teamviewer or Splashtop.

Here is the problem.

If I run WSJT-X on the shack computer, all logging works fine into DXKeeper from WSJT-X on the same computer.
If I am running WSJT-X on my remote (surface), I cannot figure out how to log to DXKeeper on the shack computer as DXKeeper is on a separate host.

Has anyone been able to log from a remote host to DXKeeper

+ Yes, using the direct interoperation between WSJT-X and DXLab.

and if so, how did you do it?

+ By specifying the IP address of the computer hosting SpotCollector in the "UDP Server" box in the "UDP Server" panel on the Reporting tab of the WSJT-X Settings window.

+ This is documented in step 6.b.i of the "Installing and Configuring WSJT-X" section of

< https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect>;

+ I don't know whether a similar configuration would work if you're using JT-Alert.

Dave, AA6YQ

g4wjs

On 24/11/2020 22:29, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I have DXLabs loaded on my main shack computer. I use Win4Icom in remote mode on the shack computer. All control functions for the radio come from my Surface which is remote on the same LAN as the shack computer. The surface also has WSJT-X loaded and running. It works great and I can operate anywhere in the house.

Note that Win4Icom uses virtual CAT connections via a client/server architecture. I am not using a product like Teamviewer or Splashtop.

Here is the problem.

Has anyone been able to log from a remote host to DXKeeper

+ Yes, using the direct interoperation between WSJT-X and DXLab.

and if so, how did you do it?

+ By specifying the IP address of the computer hosting SpotCollector in the "UDP Server" box in the "UDP Server" panel on the Reporting tab of the WSJT-X Settings window.

+ This is documented in step 6.b.i of the "Installing and Configuring WSJT-X" section of

< https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect>;

+ I don't know whether a similar configuration would work if you're using JT-Alert.

Dave, AA6YQ
Hi Craig and Dave,

you will probably have to add a rule to the firewall on the machine running SpotCollector to allow incoming UDP traffic on the service port you select (2237 by default).

JTAlert is only able to interoperate with WSJT-X if both applications are running on the same host.

--

Bill

G4WJS.

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

you will probably have to add a rule to the firewall on the machine running SpotCollector to allow incoming UDP traffic on the service port you select (2237 by default).

+ Good point, Bill; I have updated the instructions accordingly:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect>;

Dave, AA6YQ