Launcher Question

Pete W1RM

On my new PC I have launcher set to start by putting a shortcut in the windows startup folder.  When the PC boots, launcher is running in the background as I can see the process in Task Manager.  However, it seems to take nearly a minute before the launcher screen appears on my desktop.  I can’t find any setting in Launcher that might control this.  Auto start is not selected so all I’m looking for is for Launcher to open fully.

Is there a setting in Windows that might impact it and I can change?

Windows 10 is fully up to date as is all the DXLab programs.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM

W1RM@...

Joe Subich, W4TV

Is there a setting in Windows that might impact it and I can change?
Depends on what else Windows is doing at the time. Look at "Startup"
in Task Manager and check to see what "Services" Windows is starting
(automatically) on start-up. Adobe, Google, "Anti-Malware" vendors,
etc. all install their own services that are set to run on start-up -
often with elevated priorities - which keeps user auto-start programs
from running until the "services" have initialized and reported back
to their motherships.

Information on dealing with these auto-starts can be found on-line.

On 2021-10-18 12:46 PM, Pete W1RM wrote:
On my new PC I have launcher set to start by putting a shortcut in the
windows startup folder. When the PC boots, launcher is running in the
background as I can see the process in Task Manager. However, it seems to
take nearly a minute before the launcher screen appears on my desktop. I
can't find any setting in Launcher that might control this. Auto start is
not selected so all I'm looking for is for Launcher to open fully.
Is there a setting in Windows that might impact it and I can change?
Windows 10 is fully up to date as is all the DXLab programs.
Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM@Comcast.net

Dave AA6YQ

On my new PC I have launcher set to start by putting a shortcut in the windows startup folder. When the PC boots, launcher is
running in the background as I can see the process in Task Manager. However, it seems to take nearly a minute before the launcher
screen appears on my desktop.

+ As you have things configured, the Launcher is competing with all of the other Windows startup tasks and applications for CPU and
memory resources. How long does it take the Launcher window to appear when you start it "manually"?

Pete W1RM

About a second or less.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM@Comcast.net

@ more AA6YQ comments below

+ As you have things configured, the Launcher is competing with all of the other Windows startup tasks and applications for CPU and
memory resources. How long does it take the Launcher window to appear when you start it "manually"?

About a second or less.

@ Then there's interference from your anti-malware or any another application is not a factor. The delay is caused by your computer
being busy with Windows' various startup processes.

Pete W1RM

This morning after startup I launched Launcher. It was running but hung. I
had to quit the process and restart then it came right up.

Normal startup on this machine is very fast -- think light speed.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM@Comcast.net

+ As you have things configured, the Launcher is competing with all of
+ the other Windows startup tasks and applications for CPU and
memory resources. How long does it take the Launcher window to appear when
you start it "manually"?

About a second or less.

@ Then there's interference from your anti-malware or any another
application is not a factor. The delay is caused by your computer being busy
with Windows' various startup processes.

This morning after startup I launched Launcher. It was running but hung. I had to quit the process and restart then it came right
up.

Normal startup on this machine is very fast -- think light speed.

+ The first thing the Launcher does is attempt to download a file showing what versions of DXLab applications are available. Perhaps
some component of your system decided to prevent that. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

Ben Coleman NJ8J

On 10/18/2021 12:46 PM, Pete W1RM wrote:
On my new PC I have launcher set to start by putting a shortcut in the windows startup folder.  When the PC boots, launcher is running in the background as I can see the process in Task Manager.  However, it seems to take nearly a minute before the launcher screen appears on my desktop.  I can’t find any setting in Launcher that might control this. Auto start is not selected so all I’m looking for is for Launcher to open fully.
While you've got Task Manager open, take a look at the Disk % in use (on the Processes tab). If you're like all the other Windows machines I've used, you'll probably see it pegged at 100% for several minutes after startup. Launcher is probably contending with all the other 'launch-on-startup' processes for disk access. I've pretty much gotten used to letting the computer sit for a few minutes after startup to let all of that settle out. If I'm in a hurry, I'll launch Task Manager and watch for Disk % to settle down to something more normal.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman nj8j@benshome.net
"I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the