Topics

Launcher fails to terminate Commander

Don Inbody AD0K

When terminating DXLab apps from Launcher by clicking the Terminate button, Commander will not terminate.
I have an error log

Note: I first started all the applications, then did no changes to the rig. Then, I terminated all applications from Launcher. All worked correctly. Then, I restarted all applications, made some changes to the rig (freq, added second radio). Commander then would not terminate when directed from Launcher.

This has been routinely occuring for some time, now.

73, Don AD0K

When terminating DXLab apps from Launcher by clicking the Terminate button, Commander will not terminate.

+ The two possible reasons for this are:

1. anti-malware not configured to consider your DXlab applications to be "safe" is preventing the Launcher and Commander from communicating

2. Windows is in a "bad state" that prevents it from conveying messages among DXLab applications; the remedy for this is to reboot WIndows

I have an error log

+ The errorlog does not contain any errors; it was created because you have the "log debugging enabled".

Don Inbody AD0K

I am using Windows Defender. I will explore that.
I rebooted the computer
Problem remains.

73, Don AD0K

I am using Windows Defender. I will explore that.
I rebooted the computer
Problem remains.

+ As a diagnostic step, try rebooting Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking". Commander won't be able to interact with your radios when Windows is booted in this way but if the Launcher and Commander reliably interact, then some application being automatically started when Windows is booted normally is the culprit; it's usually anti-malware.

Don Inbody AD0K

I rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking
Started Launcher
Used launcher to start all applications (all except Pathfinder)
Commander did not connect to rigs, as expected
I clicked on various buttons in Commander to shift mode, split, etc.
Clicked on Terminate in Launcher
Commander refused to shut down (12 attempts failed)

I have noticed no other defects in operation - only terminating it from Launcher.

73, Don AD0K

I rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking Started Launcher Used launcher to start all applications (all except Pathfinder) Commander did not connect to rigs, as expected I clicked on various buttons in Commander to shift mode, split, etc.
Clicked on Terminate in Launcher
Commander refused to shut down (12 attempts failed)

I have noticed no other defects in operation - only terminating it from Launcher.

+ That means Windows is failing to convey messages between DXLab applications.

+ Be sure that none of your DXLab applications is being started with Administrative privileges. Windows will not allow two applications to communicate if one of them has Administrative privileges and the other does not.

Don Inbody AD0K

None of the apps are running with administrative privileges. I doubled checked them all while running.
If I start all apps, do nothing with Commander or the radios, Launcher will successfully shut down all apps, including Commander.
If I do anything that uses Commander, Launcher will not shut it down.

73, Don AD0K

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 11:27 AM Don Inbody <ad0k@...> wrote:

When terminating DXLab apps from Launcher by clicking the Terminate button, Commander will not terminate.
I have an error log

Note: I first started all the applications, then did no changes to the rig. Then, I terminated all applications from Launcher. All worked correctly. Then, I restarted all applications, made some changes to the rig (freq, added second radio). Commander then would not terminate when directed from Launcher.
Does it terminate when you click on the 'X' button in its title bar?

My guess would be that you have a rig with a USB interface, and you're
powering it off before terminating Commander, so Commander's left
trying to talk to a COM port that no longer responds. Just a guess,
though....

73,

~iain / N6ML

Don Inbody AD0K

Commander will terminate by clicking the x.
I did not shut down either of the radios.

73, Don AD0K

None of the apps are running with administrative privileges. I doubled checked them all while running.
If I start all apps, do nothing with Commander or the radios, Launcher will successfully shut down all apps, including Commander.
If I do anything that uses Commander, Launcher will not shut it down.

+ Please do the following:

1. on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. terminate Commander

3. if there's an errorlog.txt file in your Commander folder, delete it

4. set you primary transceiver to 7005 in CW

5. direct the Launcher to start Commander

6. wait until Commander displays your primary transceiver's frequency and mode

7. direct the Launcher to terminate Commander; based on your description above, I assume that this will succeed

8. direct the Launcher to start Commander

9. wait until Commander displays your primary transceiver's frequency and mode

10. using Commander's Main window, change your primary transceiver's frequency to 7010

11. direct the Launcher to terminate Commander; based on your description above, I assume that this will not succeed

12. click the X button in the upper-right corner of Commander's Main window

13. start Commander

14. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

15. terminate Commander

16. attach the errorlog.txt file from your Commander folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Don Inbody AD0K

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 07:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
1. on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, check the "Log debugging info" box
+ Done
2. terminate Commander
+Done
3. if there's an errorlog.txt file in your Commander folder, delete it
+ done
4. set you primary transceiver to 7005 in CW
+done
5. direct the Launcher to start Commander
+done.
6. wait until Commander displays your primary transceiver's frequency and mode
+ Done. Commander did display the frequency and mode.
7. direct the Launcher to terminate Commander; based on your description above, I assume that this will succeed
+ Done. Launcher acted like it shut down Commander. The Green light turned red. No indication of multiple attempts to terminate.
However, Commander did not terminate.
It did not respond to changed from the rig, though.
Commander would not respond to any actions in the application, either. It appeared frozen.
I clicked the x to shut it down manually.
It did shut down.
8. direct the Launcher to start Commander
+Done.
9. wait until Commander displays your primary transceiver's frequency and mode
+Done
10. using Commander's Main window, change your primary transceiver's frequency to 7010
+Done. Rig followed Commander
11. direct the Launcher to terminate Commander; based on your description above, I assume that this will not succeed
+Done. Commander shut down as it should.
12. click the X button in the upper-right corner of Commander's Main window
+Not necessary.
13. start Commander
+Done. Commander started normally.