Topics

KX3 Commander with WSJT-X

Kent Olsen
 

Hi Dave and all

One of the fans in my Flex 6500 has gone bad so I must send it to Flex to be repaired. In the meantime, I am using my KX3. 

I have the KX3 hooked up to the PC using the KX3 USB cable and it is communicating with Commander. The problem seems to be with WSJT-X. I have it set to use "Fake it" for split operation. When the radio is done transmitting the radio does not return to the correct freq. I have tried the setting for "Rig" but that produces a long delay from when the radio is supposed to start transmitting. 

I tried closing Commander and just using the KX3 setting in WSJT-X and that works fine if I use the "Rig" or "Fake it" setting.

Thanks
Kent
N6WT

Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

One of the fans in my Flex 6500 has gone bad so I must send it to Flex to be repaired. In the meantime, I am using my KX3.

I have the KX3 hooked up to the PC using the KX3 USB cable and it is communicating with Commander. The problem seems to be with WSJT-X. I have it set to use "Fake it" for split operation. When the radio is done transmitting the radio does not return to the correct freq. I have tried the setting for "Rig" but that produces a long delay from when the radio is supposed to start transmitting.

I tried closing Commander and just using the KX3 setting in WSJT-X and that works fine if I use the "Rig" or "Fake it" setting.

+ The way WSJT-X uses Commander when controlling a K3-style radio is known to be suboptimal; it's on the WSJT-X team's list to review and improve.

+ In the Radio panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, to what is the "Command interval" set?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Kent Olsen
 

Dave

200

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT


On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

One of the fans in my Flex 6500 has gone bad so I must send it to Flex to be repaired. In the meantime, I am using my KX3.

I have the KX3 hooked up to the PC using the KX3 USB cable and it is communicating with Commander. The problem seems to be with WSJT-X. I have it set to use "Fake it" for split operation. When the radio is done transmitting the radio does not return to the correct freq. I have tried the setting for "Rig" but that produces a long delay from when the radio is supposed to start transmitting.

I tried closing Commander and just using the KX3 setting in WSJT-X and that works fine if I use the "Rig" or "Fake it" setting.

+ The way WSJT-X uses Commander when controlling a K3-style radio is known to be suboptimal; it's on the WSJT-X team's list to review and improve.

+ In the Radio panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, to what is the "Command interval" set?

      73,

               Dave, AA6YQ





Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

200

+ Drop that to 50, and make sure you have Commander and the KX3 configured to use the maximum baud rate that the radio supports. Confirm that Commander can reliably control and track the KX3 with these settings. Then configuring WSJT-X to use Commander for transceiver control.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Kent Olsen
 

Dave

I made the change to 50ms. The baud rate was a 38400 already.

With WSJT-X in "Fake it" mode the radio does not return to the correct frequency after transmit.

In "Rig" mode there is still a delay.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT


On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 1:11 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

200

+ Drop that to 50, and make sure you have Commander and the KX3 configured to use the maximum baud rate that the radio supports. Confirm that Commander can reliably control and track the KX3 with these settings. Then configuring WSJT-X to use Commander for transceiver control.

      73,

            Dave, AA6YQ






Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

I made the change to 50ms. The baud rate was a 38400 already.

With WSJT-X in "Fake it" mode the radio does not return to the correct frequency after transmit.

In "Rig" mode there is still a delay.

+ Is the delay shorter than it was before you made the setting change?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Kent Olsen
 

Dave

Slightly. It is still enough of a delay I don't feel comfortable using it.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT


On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 2:31 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I made the change to 50ms. The baud rate was a 38400 already.

With WSJT-X in "Fake it" mode the radio does not return to the correct frequency after transmit.

In "Rig" mode there is still a delay.

+ Is the delay shorter than it was before you made the setting change?

      73,

            Dave, AA6YQ