Kenwood set TM-V71 and Multipsk

Delta-Tech

Dear all.

I use an ICOM IC-7300 with Multipsk + Commander and that is perfect!!

I have also a Kenwood TM-V71 for 2 meter / 70 cm and I will use Multipsk and eventual Commander for this set. Is this possible?

On the backside of the set, there are two connectors: “Data” and “PC”.

Best 73

Marcel Tuerlings, PE1LUP

I use an ICOM IC-7300 with Multipsk + Commander and that is perfect!!

I have also a Kenwood TM-V71 for 2 meter / 70 cm and I will use Multipsk and eventual Commander for this set. Is this possible?

On the backside of the set, there are two connectors: “Data” and “PC”.

+ The TM-V71 manual in

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B62-1926-40.pdf

+ indicates that the backpanel PC connector enables connection to a PC and there's a menu item that controls the speed of this port, but there is no description of the commands that the TM-71 will accept via this port. Without this documentation, Commander cannot be extended to interoperate with a TM-71.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 9:23 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I use an ICOM IC-7300 with Multipsk + Commander and that is perfect!!

I have also a Kenwood TM-V71 for 2 meter / 70 cm and I will use Multipsk and eventual Commander for this set. Is this possible?

On the backside of the set, there are two connectors: “Data” and “PC”.

+ The TM-V71 manual in

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B62-1926-40.pdf

+ indicates that the backpanel PC connector enables connection to a PC and there's a menu item that controls the speed of this port, but there is no description of the commands that the TM-71 will accept via this port. Without this documentation, Commander cannot be extended to interoperate with a TM-71.
These are the best I've found from a quick dig (not official -
reverse-engineered):

https://github.com/LA3QMA/TM-V71_TM-D710-Kenwood
http://kd7dvd.us/equipment/tm-d710a/manuals/control_commands.pdf

It's a FM-only dual-bander .. not really what I'd consider a DXing rig....

73,

~iain / N6ML

[...]

+ Thanks, Iain. I don't see any commands that would enable tracking and controlling the TM-V71's frequency.

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-02-07 12:51 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
I don't see any commands that would enable tracking and controlling the TM-V71's frequency.
Dave, Look again at the FO command. It can set/read VFO frequency of
either the A Band or B band.

Selecting bands for A and B is done with the PV command. Band A =
188, 144, 220, 300 or 430 MHz, Band B = 144, 220, 300, 430 or 1200 MHz.

Note commands are not listed in alphabetical order in:
<http://kd7dvd.us/equipment/tm-d710a/manuals/control_commands.pdf>
makes finding a specific command/function a PITA.

+ AA6YQ comments below

@ more AA6YQ comments below

On 2021-02-07 12:51 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
I don't see any commands that would enable tracking and controlling
> the TM-V71's frequency.

Dave, Look again at the FO command. It can set/read VFO frequency of
either the A Band or B band.

Selecting bands for A and B is done with the PV command. Band A =
188, 144, 220, 300 or 430 MHz, Band B = 144, 220, 300, 430 or 1200 MHz.

Note commands are not listed in alphabetical order in:
<http://kd7dvd.us/equipment/tm-d710a/manuals/control_commands.pdf>
makes finding a specific command/function a PITA.

@ Thanks, Joe! I've added support for the TM-71 to Commander's enhancement list. I'm still hip deep in extending it to support the FTDX-10....

Delta-Tech

Many thanks for the info.

Best 73