K3s second VFO RTTY

Peter Dougherty

Edited

Still having the same problems I had years ago with RTTY. I have WW set up fine for simplex operation, and I can receive OK and it seems to be sending out a signal as well, but I can't find any way to receive on VFO-B to listen to the pileup. I am using a USB connection between the radio and the PC and I don't know if there's any way to tap into the second VFO using that method. I used to be able to bring up a second instance of MMTTY in the old days, but even that is no longer possible if WW is running, and 2-Tone will also receive VFO-A regardless of whether Left or Right is selected.

Any ideas? I'm fresh out after three hours of trying every trick in the book.

Joe Subich, W4TV

I can't find any way to receive on VFO-B to listen to the pileup. I am using a USB connection between the radio and the PC and I don't know if there's any way to tap into the second VFO using that method.
Sub RX Audio is on the *RIGHT* channel of USB Audio CODEC
*IF AND ONLY IF* SUB is ON. The Windows "Default Format" for the
USB Audio CODEC (Recording) *MUST* be a two channel format - it *may*
default to a single channel format depending on the (Windows) INF
file for the particular VID/PID of the chip.

I used to be able to bring up a second instance of MMTTY in the old days, but even that is no longer possible if WW is running,
You *MUST* use the "-Z" switch on the command line (or Shortcut "Target"
used to launch the second instance of MMTTY as by default it will only
launch a single instance. *READ* the MMTTY documentation!

*ALL* of this has been documented in this list as well as the Elecraft
and RTTY lists on *MULTIPLE OCCASIONS*. I'm sure a simple search of
the list archives will discover it.

On 2021-10-11 3:08 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
Still having the same problems I had years ago with RTTY. I have WW set up fine for simplex operation, and I can receive OK and it seems to be sending out a signal as well (no luck working the station I'm calling yet), but I can't find any way to receive on VFO-B to listen to the pileup. I am using a USB connection between the radio and the PC and I don't know if there's any way to tap into the second VFO using that method. I used to be able to bring up a second instance of MMTTY in the old days, but even that is no longer possible if WW is running, and 2-Tone will also receive VFO-A regardless of whether Left or Right is selected.
[...]

+ This article explains how to simultaneously decode a RTTY station and its pileup when using an Icom IC-78XX or IC-7610 using CI-V commands in WinWarbler macros:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RTTY_SplitDecode

+ The "RTTY Configuration and Operations" section of this article explains how to simultaneously decode a RTTY station and its pileup when using a Flex Signature transceiver using Flex API commands in WinWarbler macros:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

+ The techniques described in the above articles - switching receiver outputs or switching soundcard sections - should be applicable to any transceiver with a subreceiver and a competent set of CAT instructions. If you successfully accomplish this, please send me your notes, and I'll incorporate them into a similar article for your transceiver model. Thanks!

Peter Dougherty

So it looked like it was just a simple matter of enable two-channel receive in the appropriate sound card setting. Windows 10 seems to love resetting sound settings at major updates, and  that's what fixed it (well, kinda-sorta fixed it).But this brings up two questions. One, how will setting this to 2-ch affect JT-modes operation (if at all), and second, levels seem to be a bit of an issue for the second VFO now; I'm only hearing the strongest signals. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with them, again, fearing screwing up WSJT.

I go months with the radio off these days due to work commitments, only doing an hour or two in a DX or 160 contest, and some 6m FT8 in June and July when the band is hopping. I just don't have the cycles between my ears to remember all these arcane settings any more. I would dearly love to have some kind of set-it-once and save it forever process, but Windows breaks things regularly. But that said, it's nice to dabble into RTTY again every so often. The hamshack PC is my only system now that my wife has moved into my office for remote-work-from-home, and I have to use it as my work PC for the 50-70 hour work weeks I'm putting in.

So it looked like it was just a simple matter of enable two-channel receive in the appropriate sound card setting. Windows 10 seems to love resetting sound settings at major updates, and  that's what fixed it (well, kinda-sorta fixed it).
+ Document all of your sound settings; then you can easily check/restore them after a Windows 10 update.

But this brings up two questions. One, how will setting this to 2-ch affect JT-modes operation (if at all)
+ There should be no impact, but give WSJT-X a try to be certain.

, and second, levels seem to be a bit of an issue for the second VFO now; I'm only hearing the strongest signals. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with them, again, fearing screwing up WSJT.
+ I've not heard of anyone being unable to find soundcard levels that work for all digital modes.
I go months with the radio off these days due to work commitments, only doing an hour or two in a DX or 160 contest, and some 6m FT8 in June and July when the band is hopping. I just don't have the cycles between my ears to remember all these arcane settings any more.
+ Take a few minutes to document your settings! Doing so will save you hours down the road...

w6de

The easy (?, but accurate) way to document computer settings displayed on your computer monitor, is to use the “Print Screen” function of Windows.  Print Screen will capture the entire monitor screen and place it on the clip board.  However, Alt + Print Screen will capture the last active window on the monitor and place that smaller window image on the clip board.  See these instructions:

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-%22Print-Screen%22-Function-on-a-Keyboard

or

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000147539/how-to-use-the-print-screen-key-in-microsoft-windows-operating-systems

The Dell explanation is a bit more concise and includes instruction for earlier Windows versions..

After capturing each sound card setting in this manner, you can paste the image in a document; also explained in the above links.  Repeat the process for each sound setting window.

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

I'd been using OneNote for many years to document everything, but after I got rid of my auto-tuner and my MicroKeyer, and simplified the rest of my station (pre-FT8) I let it all kinda fall by the wayside, and since I've really lost the hamming bug for the most part it just stopped appearing on my radar. So I'd make a change, kept it running and left it alone...Other than sound cards it's kinda-sorta worked, but every so often Windows breaks things and I have to re-set all my sound cards. At the moment I don't have the hours necessary to do any of this, but I'll try to make some time in December or January when work slows down, and hope nothing goes bad until then!