jtalert not logging to dxkeeper

Kurt Cathcart

This was all working before a hard drive crash.  After a resore, it seems that all is working well except for the jtalert logging to dxkeeper.

No alerts seem to show up on jtalert and when I log a QSO in FT8, it seems nothing gets passed to dxkeeper.

I've been through the config guid multiple times. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert

Suggestions?

neil_zampella

I would take a look at WSJT-X to make sure that the UDP settings are correct.   Make sure all the checkboxes are checked.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 11/19/2021 8:10 PM, Kurt Cathcart wrote:
This was all working before a hard drive crash.  After a resore, it seems that all is working well except for the jtalert logging to dxkeeper.

No alerts seem to show up on jtalert and when I log a QSO in FT8, it seems nothing gets passed to dxkeeper.

I've been through the config guid multiple times. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesWithJTAlert

Suggestions?

This was all working before a hard drive crash. After a restore, it seems that all is working well except for the jtalert logging to dxkeeper.

No alerts seem to show up on jtalert and when I log a QSO in FT8, it seems nothing gets passed to dxkeeper.

+ When you're using JT-Alert, DXLab applications are relatively passive: they receive directives - like "lookup callsign" and "log QSO" from JT-Alert, and then execute them.

+ Focus first on getting JT-Alert to correctly interoperate with WSJT-X. When that's working, then configure JT-Alert to correctly interoperate - one at a time -- with DXKeeper, DXView, SpotCollector, and Pathfidner.

Kurt Cathcart

OK, Thank you.  I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

I'll see if I can remedy the wsjt to jtalert problem.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/19/2021 11:20 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

This was all working before a hard drive crash. After a restore, it seems that all is working well except for the jtalert logging to dxkeeper.

No alerts seem to show up on jtalert and when I log a QSO in FT8, it seems nothing gets passed to dxkeeper.

+ When you're using JT-Alert, DXLab applications are relatively passive: they receive directives - like "lookup callsign" and "log QSO" from JT-Alert, and then execute them.

+ Focus first on getting JT-Alert to correctly interoperate with WSJT-X. When that's working, then configure JT-Alert to correctly interoperate - one at a time -- with DXKeeper, DXView, SpotCollector, and Pathfidner.

OK, Thank you. I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

+ There could be a problem between JT-Alert and DXKeeper, but if JT-Alert isn't interoperating with WSJT-X, JT-Alert will have nothing for DXKeeper to log.

+ Start upstream, and proceed downstream step-by-step:

WSJT-X => JT-Alert => DXKeeper

Kurt Cathcart

Here is what it looks like:

286    7.817274    127.0.0.1    127.0.0.1    UDP    156    52979 → 2237 Len=124

287    7.817347    127.0.0.1    127.0.0.1    ICMP    184 Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)

Not sure why this is happening but I'll ping the WSJT-X guys.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/20/2021 4:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

OK, Thank you. I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

+ There could be a problem between JT-Alert and DXKeeper, but if JT-Alert isn't interoperating with WSJT-X, JT-Alert will have nothing for DXKeeper to log.

+ Start upstream, and proceed downstream step-by-step:

WSJT-X => JT-Alert => DXKeeper

Kurt Cathcart

OK -

I got the comms between WSJTX and JTALERT working.  Now on to the next piece.  For the most part all is running well.  However, occasionally I'm getting an error message:

Logging warning

Error Message: DXKeeper File: Unable to confirm QSO Logged

Note: The QSO is still saved to the WSJT-X Log File

This seems to happen after a number of successfully logged QSOs.

Sometimes I get another error message:

Unable to Log QSO due to a lengthy directive from another DXLab application

Any ideas?

Also, How do I move the WSJT-X logs that weren't logged to DXK after the fact?

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/20/2021 4:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

OK, Thank you. I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

+ There could be a problem between JT-Alert and DXKeeper, but if JT-Alert isn't interoperating with WSJT-X, JT-Alert will have nothing for DXKeeper to log.

+ Start upstream, and proceed downstream step-by-step:

WSJT-X => JT-Alert => DXKeeper

I got the comms between WSJTX and JTALERT working.

+ What changes did you make to accomplish this?

Now on to the next piece. For the most part all is running well. However, occasionally I'm getting an error message:

Logging warning

Error Message: DXKeeper File: Unable to confirm QSO Logged

+ That error message comes from JT-Alert. Was the QSO actually logged in DXKeeper?

Note: The QSO is still saved to the WSJT-X Log File

This seems to happen after a number of successfully logged QSOs.

Sometimes I get another error message:

Unable to Log QSO due to a lengthy directive from another DXLab application

+ That message from DXKeeper only appears when you attempt to log a QSO from DXKeeper's Capture window, but DXKeeper was busy processing a directive from another application for more than 30 seconds -- which should never happen.

Any ideas?

+ Together, these symptoms add up to "something is interfering with DXKeeper"; the most likely culprit is an anti-malware application not configured to consider DXKeeper to be safe, but there are other possibilities. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

Also, How do I move the WSJT-X logs that weren't logged to DXK after the fact?

+ WSJT-X maintains a log file in ADIF format. Open this file with a text editor, and locate the ADIF record for each QSO that should have been logged in DXKeeper, but wasn't. Create a new file named Missing.ADI, and place each missing ADIF record in this file. Then close Missing.ADI, and direct DXKeeper to import it.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/20/2021 4:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

OK, Thank you. I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

+ There could be a problem between JT-Alert and DXKeeper, but if JT-Alert isn't interoperating with WSJT-X, JT-Alert will have nothing for DXKeeper to log.

+ Start upstream, and proceed downstream step-by-step:

WSJT-X => JT-Alert => DXKeeper

https://www.avg.com

Kurt Cathcart

On 11/23/2021 5:48 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I got the comms between WSJTX and JTALERT working.

+ What changes did you make to accomplish this?
++ I had the wrong version of .net

Now on to the next piece. For the most part all is running well. However, occasionally I'm getting an error message:

Logging warning

Error Message: DXKeeper File: Unable to confirm QSO Logged

+ That error message comes from JT-Alert. Was the QSO actually logged in DXKeeper?
++ It was not logged into DXKeeper.  That is probably why I got the manual logging error below.  What I have noticed is that when it fails, it seems to fail when DXK is auto uploading to LoTW or eQSL. I set JTAlert to not instruct DXK to auto upload and then I do it manually in DXK after I'm don with my radio time.  I haven't had a problem yet.

[...]

++  I do run Malwarebytes.  Thank you for the insight.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/20/2021 4:43 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

OK, Thank you. I was thinking that the problem was between jtalert and DXK.

+ There could be a problem between JT-Alert and DXKeeper, but if JT-Alert isn't interoperating with WSJT-X, JT-Alert will have nothing for DXKeeper to log.

+ Start upstream, and proceed downstream step-by-step:

WSJT-X => JT-Alert => DXKeeper

@ more AA6YQ comments below

++ I do run Malwarebytes. Thank you for the insight.

@ Quite a few users have reported interference from letting Malware Bytes run in the background. I only use it to conduct occasional scans.

@ What happens when you disable it?

Kurt Cathcart

So it seems that the manual method also has flaws.  LoTW so far uploads fine.  eQSL looks like it uploads 3-4 contacts then gets stuck.  I need to force DXK to shut down. I disable Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Defender with no change in behaviour.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 11/24/2021 9:03 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
@ more AA6YQ comments below

++ I do run Malwarebytes. Thank you for the insight.

@ Quite a few users have reported interference from letting Malware Bytes run in the background. I only use it to conduct occasional scans.

@ What happens when you disable it?

So it seems that the manual method also has flaws.  LoTW so far uploads fine.  eQSL looks like it uploads 3-4 contacts then gets stuck.  I need to force DXK to shut down. I disable Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Defender with no change in behaviour.

+ Please do the following:

1. reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking"

2. start DXKeeper

3. direct DXKeeper to submit 6 QSOs to eQSL

+ What happens?

Kurt Cathcart

That seemed to work fine.  I'll look elsewhere for my problem.  Thanks for the help.

-Kurt

On 11/24/2021 11:05 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
So it seems that the manual method also has flaws.  LoTW so far uploads fine.  eQSL looks like it uploads 3-4 contacts then gets stuck.  I need to force DXK to shut down. I disable Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Defender with no change in behaviour.

+ Please do the following:

1. reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking"

2. start DXKeeper

3. direct DXKeeper to submit 6 QSOs to eQSL

+ What happens?

That seemed to work fine.  I'll look elsewhere for my problem.  Thanks for the help.

+ That means one or more of the applications that Windows is automatically starting when booted "normally" is interfering with DXKeeper. The culprit is usually anti-malware. You're already aware of the "Getting Started" article on this topic.